Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default AR guys in here please

I'm going to look at some AR's today, though I've been shooting for over 30 years it'll be my first AR.
    What recommendations do you guys have that I should look at ?
    I'm limited financially & trying to stay around $700 (or less if possible) but might be able to go as high as $800.
    What manufacturers & models should I look at ?
    What features are important ?
    Thanks
    Jesus is Lord !

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR guys in here please

What's your plan for the AR?

Pick a primary and a secondary use:

1. Plinker
    2. Home defense
    3. Precision target
    4. CMP/NRA High Power competition
    5. Practical Shooting competition
    6. Hunting (outside of PA).

What you buy and how you equip it will depend on your answers.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Do you plan on putting optics on it? If so, a flat-top is what you want. 1/9 twist barrels are the norm for 55gr to 62gr bullets. For most 100-200yrd shooting, a 16" barrel is fine, for longer range shooting I would get a 20". Chrome-lined barrels are good but give up some accuracy to Chrome-moly barrels. If you clean your guns like I do after every range trip, I would suggest the chrome-moly. Get an AR chamber brush. AR's run best wet(lubricated). Piston uppers are unnecessary for the avg shooter who cleans they're weapons regularly. I have a Stag and am happy with it.

(Allegheny County)

I'm just going to assume you want a M4 style rifle. That seems to be what most people are looking at when they just want an AR. If this is not accurate please elaborate.

For range use and plinking at around $650 the M&P sport is a good deal. You do give up the dust cover and FA. The FA could be needed in a possiable defensive situation. The dust cover not so much unless your job requires you to carry a rifle.

There is no universally accepted defensive AR for under $1k.

Best bet I think would be to build a PSA at about $750. They seem to have a better reputation than bushmaster, spikes, etc at this price point.

At the $1k price point if you can wait and save you can get a BCM or a Colt.
    Last edited by QuackXP; November 14th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What's your plan for the AR?

Pick a primary and a secondary use:

1. Plinker
    2. Home defense
    3. Precision target
    4. CMP/NRA High Power competition
    5. Practical Shooting competition
    6. Hunting (outside of PA).

What you buy and how you equip it will depend on your answers.
    Mostly plinking & target out to 200 yds, hunting IF Pa ever lets us use a semi-auto for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Do you plan on putting optics on it? If so, a flat-top is what you want. 1/9 twist barrels are the norm for 55gr to 62gr bullets. For most 100-200yrd shooting, a 16" barrel is fine, for longer range shooting I would get a 20". Chrome-lined barrels are good but give up some accuracy to Chrome-moly barrels. If you clean your guns like I do after every range trip, I would suggest the chrome-moly. Get an AR chamber brush. AR's run best wet(lubricated). Piston uppers are unnecessary for the avg shooter who cleans they're weapons regularly. I have a Stag and am happy with it.
    Yes, optics will be going on it eventually, most shooting will be out to 200 yds. So you're saying piston uppers run cleaner but are they more expensive ? What are the pros & cons with them.
    How much accuracy do you give up with chrome-lined barrels ?
    Jesus is Lord !

(Butler County)

For your price range... lots of options to try and keep it under $800. However, you might be best served with a S&W M&P AR15 optics ready. You should be able to land one of those through gunbroker.com for around $850. You will have to then get some sights though which will add a bit to the cost.

If you desire to build one... lots more to do there but if you hunt around and aren't too picky you could probably put one together for somewhere around $700. Palmetto State Armory occasionally has good sales on a decent lower receiver, then add trigger group, grip, stock, and an upper...

edit: the M&P sport suggested by quackxp isnt a bad idea... I wouldnt worry about the accuracy difference with chrome barrel and I also wouldnt suggest a piston for your first gun. You are looking at an entry level price... at your price level you shouldnt be worrying about either of those.
    Last edited by chivvalry; November 14th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Wayne County)

For your usage, M&P 15 Sport. Quality in all the right places, accurate and reliable. The best "cheap" AR ever made.

Spend the rest on ammo, mags or a Nikkon P223 or the like for your target purposes.

A DI gun is fine, and with minimal maintenance and proper generous lubing will run and run.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Washington County)

I would recommend a stag model 3.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the input everyone, just got back from Tanners & ordered (they were out of stock) the M&P Sport model 811036 that comes with iron sights for $629. I already own 3 M&P handguns & really like the quality plus the fact that everything that I saw in my price range came with a 1 year warranty & S&W offers a lifetime service warranty.
    Again thanks !
    Jesus is Lord !

(York County)

Great pick with the M&P sport. That was going to be my suggestion too. I have the Stag model 3 and I'm happy with it but from what I'v been seeing in videos and reviews about the M&P Sport I'm wishing I had gotten the sport. Best of luck with it.
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast