Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default New to guns and looking to buy

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot of your posts and the one thing I certainly know is that I've got a lot to learn about firearms. I took a 9 hour safety course at Targetmaster which was fantastic and highly recommended to anybody new to guns, but I'm now in the market for a pistol and don't know what to settle on.

Disclosure: I just bought stock in Ruger so I feel slightly pulled in that direction to simply support my purchase, but I'm certainly not settled there.

I generally regard my experience shooting before the class as non-existent since I didn't know what I was doing so here are the guns I've shot:

Ruger LCR
    Ruger SR40c
    Glock 23
    HK USP 45
    SIG 226
    Beretta 92fs

Generally speaking I liked all of them. I am in the process of getting my concealed carry permit but will generally be using it at the range and for home defense. I don't want a revolver as my first gun (but do plan on getting one in the future). I like the feel of the full sized guns, but would like the option to carry concealed if I want to. I'm leaning toward 9mm or .40 because I figure more bullets in the magazine overcomes less stopping power. I liked having a decocker on the gun because with my lack of experience, I felt this was safer for me.

Max budget is $800...preferred budget is around $500.

I would say I liked the Ruger SR40c, Beretta 92fs, and HK 45 best in terms of feel. Obviously all are very different, but just giving you guys as much info as possible. Right now for the price, my slanted view on Rugers, and feel...the Ruger SR40c is in the lead.

So...with that info...where can you guys steer me?? Thanks in advance for all your help

(Berks County)

Default Re: New to guns and looking to buy

It's a License To Carry Firearms in PA, not a conceal carry permit.

But to give a little insight to your question. I would lean to the .40 or even think about something in the 9mm category as a first buy. Main reason is cost of ammo. But, the best thing you can do is take your time and try to shoot anything you may consider before buying if possible. Go with what feels the best!

Edit:
    A lot of people enjoy (myself included) Springfield XD's. My .40 is my avatar.
    Last edited by dregan; November 13th, 2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: after thought

(Philadelphia County)

If you choose any of the Rugers, you will stay well within your $500 budget and none of the pistols you listed should exceed $800. I'd stick with 9mm as it is an affordable caliber and widely available. My personal preferences on your list would be the Glock 23 and Beretta 92FS.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    It's a License To Carry Firearms in PA, not a conceal carry permit.
    Like I said...I'm new

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bpcontra View Post
    Like I said...I'm new
    I know, I haven't had the chance to rass a new guy in a while with a correction. That was a mild rassing compared to some! It is however a very common misconception/terminology error. Almost as bad as calling a magazine a clip. Good luck in finding a firearm that fits you well.

(Bucks County)

Glock 19...........

There is nothing wrong with the SR40C, if that is what you like. Obviously, it'll be easier to conceal than the full size. Staying at around $500 limits your options, which ain't no big deal, because there are some good guns for that price. I personally like controls, as well, on my pistols. Every hand gun I own, other than my 1911's, has a safety and a decocker. It's just the way I like to roll. A Taurus 24/7 G2, an 840, or a used Sig P228 or P229 is the way I'd go if you want to look at something else close to your budget and with the options you like. The HK 45 is a butt load of $$$, even used, and an HK P30, which may be the best feeling handgun on the planet, is right there with the HK 45. These guns you can get, used, if you want to stretch your $$$ all the way to $800.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Franklin County)

Many good options out there and for the most part you cant go wrong... Once you buy one you will want more... I will just state what I own and my opinions of them, possibly it will help you...

1. Glock 22, .40 caliber (Im a big fan of glock, they arent anything fancy but this is the gun I trust by my bedside)

2. FNH FNX-9 9mm (I love this gun, its the only one I own with an external safety and it has a decocker like you requested... These guns are built with very good quality and everyone that shoots mine becomes an instant FNH fan... The FNH FNP would be another very nice choice!)

3. S&W M&P 40C .40 caliber (I've had this gun for 3 weeks and so far I really like the size, feel, concealability, and its functioned flawlessly).

4. Springfield XD 9mm ( Ive had this gun for a week and havent shot it yet, I consider the XD line the civic of the gun world, many yuppies love this gun because it's packaged nicely and looks cool. But on top of that the XD's seem well put together, I really like the trigger safety and the palm safety. You will be able to get accessories everywhere for this series of pistols.

5. My brother in law ownes a Glock 23, a Ruger LC9, and a Springfield XDS. I know he regretted buying the ruger within a day or two of his purchase and he paid too much. I've seen these go for $299.00 new in the box at gun shows.
    Last edited by Rider4Life01; November 13th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the SR40C, if that is what you like. Obviously, it'll be easier to conceal than the full size. Staying at around $500 limits your options, which ain't no big deal, because there are some good guns for that price. I personally like controls, as well, on my pistols. Every hand gun I own, other than my 1911's, has a safety and a decocker. It's just the way I like to roll. A Taurus 24/7 G2, an 840, or a used Sig P228 or P229 is the way I'd go if you want to look at something else close to your budget and with the options you like. The HK 45 is a butt load of $$$, even used, and an HK P30, which may be the best feeling handgun on the planet, is right there with the HK 45. These guns you can get, used, if you want to stretch your $$$ all the way to $800.
    I was going to mention the P30, but they are a little pricey. If you can score one at a low cost, they are great guns, it's another one that is in my collection.

(Chester County)

Check out a S&W M&P, they will have a better trigger than the Ruger (or an XD for that matter), probably feel better in your hand than a Glock, they are accepted as a duty gun by law enforcement, can be had with a manual safety although no decocker as they are striker fired, and have great customer service.

I don't have experience with the FN pistols but your should check them out too.

The Rugers are alright, and there are some great deals on them, but the trigger and feel just won't compare to a S&W.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast