Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Mossberg 500 Tactical questions

First... Ive got a 500 tactical that came my way in a trade. It has a Cav Arms oversize safety, and it engages every time the shotgun is fired. Not exactly my idea of fun. I tried cleaning and tightening the screw, but it doent seem to help.

Should there be more spring tension under the ball bearing?

Also, thinking of adding a Knoxx stock. Shooting anything with recoil and a neck injury... not fun. Is it worth it? Ive got some gift cards for Amazon and they run about $100 on there.

Lastly, if I were to run slugs in this for deer, is it legal to just add a wooden rod behind the tube mag follower to reduce the load to 2 rounds?

Overall, I plan on running this in a 3 gun setup, as well as some limited hunting use.

Default Re: Mossberg 500 Tactical questions

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    First... Ive got a 500 tactical that came my way in a trade. It has a Cav Arms oversize safety, and it engages every time the shotgun is fired. Not exactly my idea of fun. I tried cleaning and tightening the screw, but it doent seem to help.

Should there be more spring tension under the ball bearing?

Also, thinking of adding a Knoxx stock. Shooting anything with recoil and a neck injury... not fun. Is it worth it? Ive got some gift cards for Amazon and they run about $100 on there.

Lastly, if I were to run slugs in this for deer, is it legal to just add a wooden rod behind the tube mag follower to reduce the load to 2 rounds?

Overall, I plan on running this in a 3 gun setup, as well as some limited hunting use.
    Might need a new safety kit the spring and ball could be worn. http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod27426.aspx
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

(Washington County)

Brownells has an insane price on that... I cant see how the ball could be worn, its still round, and harder than the surrounding parts. I could somewhat see how the spring is worn. They need a trigger guard safety kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Yes. You can use anything to "plug" the magazine tube to legal limit as long as it can't be removed without the firearm apart to remove it. Also, there is no magazine limit while hunting deer.

(Washington County)

Thats good to know. Less work

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    Yes. You can use anything to "plug" the magazine tube to legal limit as long as it can't be removed without the firearm apart to remove it. Also, there is no magazine limit while hunting deer.
    This is close- it also states in the regulation that it's a ONE-PIECE item. It can be a pencil or dowel or some random stick, but it cannot be 2 fired shells (unless you duct-tape them together) or a bunch of rocks.

It's a minor difference and has no effect on the intent of the law, but just thought I should mention it as most of us strive to follow the letter of the law when it comes to hunting regs. It's also unlikely that this would ever be checked or noticed by a game warden as they generally test the gun assembled, and as long as they cannot push their heater hose in too far you are good to go.

(Allegheny County)

Here's a good place for all things Mossberg.

http://www.mossbergowners.com/index.php

I've got the knoxx recoil reducing stock and love it. Shotgun just for HD. I know there are a lotta old timers who insist on traditional stocks, but to each their own.

(Bucks County)

My buddy has a Knoxx stock on his 870 and while you still know you are shooting a shotgun, I'd estimate it reduces felt recoil about 20-25% when shooting slugs or buckshot

(Indiana County)

Is this present under your safety?

If not, that is the problem, if so, make sure the holes properly engage the ball. They may need to be opened up a hair.