Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Is this normal for a ar15 to do !

Okay bought a ar15 my first buy but have have shot them before .
    The instructions stated that I run 20 rounds clean after each shot 5mins apart .
    Then 10 shots 2 round each at 5mins apart .
    More so forward the End of the session I smelled burning and some smoke lol all guns smoke but this was different more smoke than normal .
    Went home and did a take down there was black stuff all over bolt carrier and smelt burned .
    Now I payed a lot of money and want to ask someone who know who have a lot of more knowledge than me .
    Here are the pictures .is it normal ?
    Black Rain Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group.
    Note these are not oil this is embedded like a birthmark

Default Re: Is this normal for a ar15 to do !

Did you clean it first? They ship with a preservative oil coating. Your pictures aren't opening so I can't see what the problem is. If you didn't clean it first you will have a lot of carbon mixing with the hot oil. This will smoke, smell, and create hard to clean baked-on carbon deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Did you clean it first? They ship with a preservative oil coating. Your pictures aren't opening so I can't see what the problem is. If you didn't clean it first you will have a lot of carbon mixing with the hot oil. This will smoke, smell, and create hard to clean baked-on carbon deposits.
    I didn't clean it when I received it and it was brand new .
    How do I clean that off .
    I have clp .did I ruin it .
    Shot it today and ran good no smell or anything .

(Lehigh County)

just clean it with a little Hoppe's and you will be fine.

(Berks County)

It is absolutely normal as the gas gets "dumped" directly into the bolt carrier. Every time you take it to the range you will come home and find carbon "caked" on the back of the bolt and inside the bolt carrier. That is because the gas gets tapped from the barrel and redirected rearward through the gas tube, ultimately ending up coming through the gas key on the bolt carrier and down into the expansion chamber behind the bolt.

Here you can see a cut away showing how the gas ends up where I described:

The smell you are referring to is the smell of the gas ("stings" the nose a bit is you get a good whiff) and the smell of burning oil as the hot gas heats up the oil in the receiver and bolt carrier assembly.

All of this is completely normal. In fact, you don't even need to get to overly concerned with making it spotless after each range session as these thing have been fired well in excess of 5,000 rds with little more than adding more lubrication. Not saying you shouldn't clean it, but realize you don't need to have it inspection ready after a day at the range.

FJagr

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJagr View Post
    The smell you are referring to is the smell of the gas ("stings" the nose a bit is you get a good whiff) and the smell of burning oil as the hot gas heats up the oil in the receiver and bolt carrier assembly.

FJagr
    Man, I love that smell.

OP, there's nothing in those pictures I would be concerned about. It all looks normal to me.

(Lehigh County)

Something else ill add to the other comments is that you want to run your AR "wet". The bolt carrier should be well lubed, any oil it doesn't want will get slinged off after the first few shots. I typically only give my AR though clean every 1000 rounds or so and she runs like a top. The smell could be the normal gasses or the packing oils flashing off. Different ammo brands will have different scents too. I've used nothing but Froglube on my newest AR and absolutely love it. Paste the bolt carrier, and away you go. It turns into a liquid as soon as it gets warm, then back into a paste as it cools. Neat stuff.

Rick

Smile Re: Is this normal for a ar15 to do !

Quote Originally Posted by FJagr View Post
    It is absolutely normal as the gas gets "dumped" directly into the bolt carrier. Every time you take it to the range you will come home and find carbon "caked" on the back of the bolt and inside the bolt carrier. That is because the gas gets tapped from the barrel and redirected rearward through the gas tube, ultimately ending up coming through the gas key on the bolt carrier and down into the expansion chamber behind the bolt.

Here you can see a cut away showing how the gas ends up where I described:

Thank you .im gtg

All of this is completely normal. In fact, you don't even need to get to overly concerned with making it spotless after each range session as these thing have been fired well in excess of 5,000 rds with little more than adding more lubrication. Not saying you shouldn't clean it, but realize you don't need to have it inspection ready after a day at the range.

FJagr
    Well put thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by bagman29 View Post
    Man, I love that smell.

OP, there's nothing in those pictures I would be concerned about. It all looks normal to me.
    Thanks for your guys support .my worries are at rest .

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    Something else ill add to the other comments is that you want to run your AR "wet". The bolt carrier should be well lubed, any oil it doesn't want will get slinged off after the first few shots. I typically only give my AR though clean every 1000 rounds or so and she runs like a top. The smell could be the normal gasses or the packing oils flashing off. Different ammo brands will have different scents too. I've used nothing but Froglube on my newest AR and absolutely love it. Paste the bolt carrier, and away you go. It turns into a liquid as soon as it gets warm, then back into a paste as it cools. Neat stuff.

Rick

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this. "wet" is way overkill on oil. You only need to lube the 4 contact rails on the bolt carrier and the 2 holes that you can see the gas rings thru. Anything beyond that is wasted oil which ends up getting blown out of the gun onto the shooter or burned up making excess smoke and deposits.

I run a RRA M4 with an AAC M4-2000 suppressor installed about 98% of the time. I just hit those spots with some Mil-Tech before I start and it runs like a champ. I hardly clean the rifle either and its way overgassed with the suppressor to the point it will turn your trigger finger black and push gas back into your face.

As for CLP I'll use it if its all I have but keep in mind CLP is (cleaner, lubricant and preservative) the mil's way of saving on costs. There are better products out there in my opinion.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Lehigh County)

For a dedicated range weapon the need to run your AR wet is not as crucial, but I stand by my assessment. I have taken a few carbine courses and though by no means consider myself to be an expert or an operator, one common denominator on each course of fire is to run your ARs wet. Both Gunsite and Thunder Ranch advocate the same thing in their respective courses and the vast majority of break downs occur from lack of lubrication. Lack of lubrication appears to be far more detrimental to your weapon then the dreaded carbon build up. I have no practical experience with suppressed ARs so I can't comment on that, other then I believe there is a bit more back pressure from the suppessor. Or maybe I'm thinking of a suppressed piston upper. If you want to run a 1500 round course of fire with 4 drops of oil on your bolt, well, to each his own, I guess. I'd rather have a little oil sling then have my AR turn into a really expensive club when I need it the most.

Rick