Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default buying a firearm as is?

So I want to purchase a new kimber solo from a dealer on gunbroker, I contacted the dealer to ask him some questions and he told me the firearm is brand new from the factory was only opened to take pics of and that's all, I asked if there was an inspection period when receiving the gun and he said all sales are as is, he just went on to say though that the firearm is brand new with no scratches or anything, he said if there was anything out of the ordinary he would take pics and post it with the auction and that he wouldn't put his reputation on the line to make a few bucks, he did have a perfect rating and great reviews just a little worried buying a gun as is

What's everybody's thoughts
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: buying a firearm as is?

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    So I want to purchase a new kimber solo from a dealer on gunbroker, I contacted the dealer to ask him some questions and he told me the firearm is brand new from the factory was only opened to take pics of and that's all, I asked if there was an inspection period when receiving the gun and he said all sales are as is, he just went on to say though that the firearm is brand new with no scratches or anything, he said if there was anything out of the ordinary he would take pics and post it with the auction and that he wouldn't put his reputation on the line to make a few bucks, he did have a perfect rating and great reviews just a little worried buying a gun as is

What's everybody's thoughts
    Maybe he provides no direct warranty himself, what about Kimber? Have you checked to see what the manufacturer warranty looks like?

I know when you buy an item from many retailers they don't warranty it directly--like storm doors and generators from home depot.
    Last edited by yeager484; November 12th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

(York County)

If he has good reviews and it is new, I don't think I would worry about it. Gunbroker has a little drop down thingy about return policies when you sell, the first choice is "as is". I think it picks that as default. Also, all somebody has is their feedback when selling online, I doubt he would risk it if he's planning on selling in the future.

(Montgomery County)

This is one of the big downsides to buying online. Not just guns but almost any merchandise. You don't get to hold it and see it before you have paid for it. If there is a problem, there no one to go talk to about it.

Some people are quite comfortable with this. My wife buys shoes online. I have one foot bigger than the other so this concept is alien to me. I have bought my share of stuff online, just never shoes.

Also, when considering the online price savings, and before you commit to the purchase, find out how much it will cost you to have it transferred at a local FFL. Some places are very costly for internet sales.

That's actually pretty funny because I have the same thing, my left foot is smaller than my right foot lol, anyways its not about the price, its about the availability, I want the solo cdp which is impossible to find, all local dealers I talked to quoted me on a wait time of 8-12 months

(Northampton County)

I'd think once you get the firearm at your FFL if you are not happy with the condition (it would have to be other than described), you could refuse transfer and tell the seller that you are unhappy about the deceit and will put stop payment on your credit card (or paypal if GB takes that) if they dont take it back.

It sounds like this is his way of saying "everything looks good but I can't guarantee anything". Realistically, unless he takes it out and does a test fire he has no way of being 100% certain it works. The catch is once he runs a few mags through it's no longer "new".

More and more dealers are saying all sales are final. Once you take it home, shoot it, and return it the dealer will lose a lot of money because it is now sold as a used firearm. I for one won't pay new prices for even slightly used guns (but I see them in the shops all the time).

(Cumberland County)

If his feedback is great, and he has a good number of transactions, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you buy a gun from a local gundealer, and it is defective, they most likely will not give you your money back either - so same deal, they'll just help you send it back to be repaired by the manufacturer. I buy from my local gunshop if the price is anywhere near - but if local shop doesn't have it, or price is way below what he can get for me - on line it is ! I wouldn't worry about "as is" - almost every gun you buy is "as is"

All solved, got really lucky, woodbury outfitters just listed one for a one day auction with a cheaper price and I grabbed it, comes with a 3 day inspection period

(Lycoming County)

Id not sell a gun that was not "as is" unless I was there when the guy wanted to try it out...I could just imagine a guy thinking that he wanted a test drive buying a gun taking it to the range with a box of uncle Jeds reloads then blowing said gun up on a double charged reload and trying to make it seem as if it was the guns fault and got sold a faulty gun..I would ALWAYS let a guy test a gun IN MY PRESENCE with KNOWN ammo and watching him to see if he actually knows how it works(no limp wristing crap and then trying to call it a gun malfunction or any of that crap) and then letting him decide but if someone buys it and the gun leaves my sight THEN someone wants to complain....NOPE "as is". Luckily ive never got burnt nor has anyone complained about any guns ive traded or sold. Oh and I let them know in advance of the "rules" too..I say if you want to test then buy lets set up a time at the range..and then again I also say if it leaves its yours when its out of my sight no gurantees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast