Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving to Texas from here. Class III and carry questions

Hey all,

So in about 30 days I will be moving to the Dallas, Texas area from Pennsylvania. As a competitive shooter, I have accumulated a few guns, but nothing crazy. I want to bring what I haven't sold, but I am NOT taking a truck or moving truck or anything of the sort. I am driving down in my car and will be stopping for a night about 8-10 hours from here, again in Nashville, and spending a night in Little Rock. Once I get there, I will be living in a hotel for a few days/week until I find an apartment.

I'm wondering the best way to ship or get a few rifles and pistols down there. I was thinking about shipping them to myself, but didn't know how to go that route (and if it's even legal). Is that do-able or not worth the trouble?

I also have an SBR lower and 22 can, and I know they are legal there but didn't know what I had to do about getting them there. I will be taking those with me, but wasn't sure if I had to file papers to stop or whatever, since it's all part of the trip.

Also, i have my PA LTCF (CCW, CCP) whatever you call it, and was just wondering if there are any crazy rules about carrying between PA and Texas. I know I'm legal in every state but MD, so will lock er up through there. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Default Re: Moving to Texas from here. Class III and carry questions

You can mail the rifles to yourself via USPS if you don't want to transport them yourself. Pack them in a sturdy box with no "gun" markings on the outside (you do need to declare them, though) and take them to the post office. Shipping the handguns would require an FFL or two in the loop (legally you could ship them to yourself via UPS or FedEx, but neither will do it). Depending on your route, you can carry in every state except MD and AL -- both should be easy to avoid. So possession should be no problem. Most states don't have the silly restrictions we have on transporting unloaded, cased handguns, anyway. And note that Arkansas and Texas are "must inform" states if you carry there. And Texas doesn't allow open carry.

Not familiar with Class 3, but I think you have to do some paperwork with BATFE prior to moving them.
    Last edited by donm; November 12th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

I shipped ups next day air which is what they require and never had a problem, just schedule a pick up
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    I shipped ups next day air which is what they require and never had a problem, just schedule a pick up
    Can I schedule the pick up for like a week later? I will be taking a few days to get down there. Or do I have someone else drop them off for me?

I believe you have to be there for the pick up but I'm not sure, contact ups and ask, their customer service is great
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

I'm moving to Texas as well however more around were Texas A&M is located. I actually just made the trip about a month ago and I have a couple questions/suggestions.

With the LCTF you are good to go, if you travel through Ohio you'll have to disarm and transport accordingly, Don't forget, some of the States you'll be going through have a duty to inform should you be pulled over. Also, I believe there are bar restrictions. If your the religious type, restrictions in places of worship as well. Best to check the laws yourself.

That said,

Why Little Rock, you would be better off staying in Hope. Be sure you are armed if you are going out at night in Little Rock, where I stopped for gas, it was real bad.

Obviously you thought it through but why the decision to mail your firearms?

Good Luck with the move and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    The tariffs of both UPS and FedEx now require that an FFL, importer, or manufacturer be on at least one end of a shipment of any firearm. Company policy, not the law. And yes, you are required to declare it [18 USC 922(e)].

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    ... if you travel through Ohio you'll have to disarm and transport accordingly,
    In Ohio, "disarm" means unloading any magazines or speedloaders as well, regardless of where they are in the vehicle.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post

I also have an SBR lower and 22 can, and I know they are legal there but didn't know what I had to do about getting them there. I will be taking those with me, but wasn't sure if I had to file papers to stop or whatever, since it's all part of the trip.

For the NFA stuff, you need to complete the form below, check #2 no and make sure answer #5 for a permanent change in address. Make sure to take care of this with enough time before the move.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I'm moving to Texas as well however more around were Texas A&M is located. I actually just made the trip about a month ago and I have a couple questions/suggestions.

With the LCTF you are good to go, if you travel through Ohio you'll have to disarm and transport accordingly, Don't forget, some of the States you'll be going through have a duty to inform should you be pulled over. Also, I believe there are bar restrictions. If your the religious type, restrictions in places of worship as well. Best to check the laws yourself.

That said,

Why Little Rock, you would be better off staying in Hope. Be sure you are armed if you are going out at night in Little Rock, where I stopped for gas, it was real bad.

Obviously you thought it through but why the decision to mail your firearms?

Good Luck with the move and be safe.
    Thanks for the tips, I forgot about duty to inform and the bar stuff. I know that's true in Texas, so I'll look along the way. As far as Little Rock, my buddy is stationed there and is expecting his first kid to be born a few weeks before I get there, so I'll be visiting with him. Just off base so I think the area is ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast