Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Opinions about the S&W Bodyguard 380?

A couple months ago my dad loaned me $1500 to get by on. But as part of the agreement to pay him back was he got my AMT Backup II 380, and I only had to pay back $1350.

Well, lastnite he called me up and said my loan is now a gift because he gave my brother the same amount to help him out. But he still wanted to pay the $150 difference for the AMT. ...this where the S&W comes into picture.

Since I would need to ship the AMT to dad's FFL, I thought that I could/would just order him a brandnew, more reliable gun, from one of his local dealers down near Tampa FL since I'm finally getting some pay.

Any pros or cons with the S&W Bodyguard? I know its about $100 more than a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP, but I haven't heard of any real issues with the S&W. He presently carries either mom's Grendel P12 or his Ring-of-Fire .25acp because they are the smallest guns they have.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Default Re: Opinions about the S&W Bodyguard 380?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    A couple months ago my dad loaned me $1500 to get by on. But as part of the agreement to pay him back was he got my AMT Backup II 380, and I only had to pay back $1350.

Well, lastnite he called me up and said my loan is now a gift because he gave my brother the same amount to help him out. But he still wanted to pay the $150 difference for the AMT. ...this where the S&W comes into picture.

Since I would need to ship the AMT to dad's FFL, I thought that I could/would just order him a brandnew, more reliable gun, from one of his local dealers down near Tampa FL since I'm finally getting some pay.

Any pros or cons with the S&W Bodyguard? I know its about $100 more than a Kel-Tec or Ruger LCP, but I haven't heard of any real issues with the S&W. He presently carries either mom's Grendel P12 or his Ring-of-Fire .25acp because they are the smallest guns they have.
    Buddy of mine just sold his not that long ago (I had it in the classifieds here for him actually) because he couldnt hit shit with it, his fault, nothing to do with the gun AT ALL. He just didnt put the effort in required to be proficient with such a small, light, pretty stout recoiling, DA triggered gun. He's a Glock and M&P shooter and really couldnt get that trigger down. With more practice he could have I'm sure. Guess what he got... A G26

Enough about him. I shot it. It wasnt bad. A bit more refined than an LCP (which I had) since it has 3-Dots. It was utterly reliable with any ammo, though it only had 200rds+/- through it. Whether that determines its reliability is up to you. I never saw it choke though. The laser is hype and the activation button is in a so-so spot. Whether its usable greatly depends on the users hand and finger size. It just didnt seem "comfortable" too me. Not to mention, are you even gonna push that button should you ever "NEED" to use the gun. Yes, its a training issue but, I highly doubt it. Could it help at the range and with dry-fire practice? Maybe, probably.

I also think theyre not very aesthetically pleasing. I think we'd all be lying if we said looks dont matter.

Overall, I wasnt very impressed. And found it, just OK.

At this point, I'll say, LCP with a Crimson Trace laser gaurd. You could always have the slide dovetailed for NS too if you really wanted, bout $100. I'd also look really hard at a Shield 9mm and would almost certainly take one over both of the afore mentioned.
    Last edited by brownman; November 11th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

I've read mixed reviews. Some have problems with the laser. If you want one get it at Atlantic tactical in harrisburg. New for $309

(Jefferson County)

Thank you for the reply.

Feeding/ejecting was my main concern for reliability. My AMT can hiccup more often than I care for, so I'd rather my dad have something better. He has Parkinson's, although under meds to cut most of the shakes, it would still affect his ability to clear a jam in a timely fashion.

Laser or sights aren't really an issue. But the grip size is. Dad doesn't quite have grizzlybear paws, but they aren't exactly average sized either. The LCP and Kel-Tec was a tad too small for him - thus why he likes mom's Grendel P12(double stack 380). The S&W looked to have a slightly larger grip.

I tried talking him into a "baby 9mm", but he wants something light as possible and smaller(he pocket carries in Florida).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

Laser or sights aren't really an issue. But the grip size is. Dad doesn't quite have grizzlybear paws, but they aren't exactly average sized either. The LCP and Kel-Tec was a tad too small for him - thus why he likes mom's Grendel P12(double stack 380). The S&W looked to have a slightly larger grip.

I tried talking him into a "baby 9mm", but he wants something light as possible and smaller(he pocket carries in Florida).
    Welcome

You are right, the BG's grip does get the edge

Shame

(Dauphin County)

I own a BG380 and find it an easily concealed and carried gun. It is snappy, so I only shoot it enough to maintain competency. The DA trigger pull is long but easily mastered. I do not bother with the laser. It has been utterly reliable. I have had a little exposure to the LCP but prefer the BG.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

As you can see above---love mine. I've had/have all the pocket 380s out there and I think the BG380 is the best of the bunch all around.

(Allegheny County)

I bought the bodyguard for my wife a while back, shes had ZERO problems with the gun functionally, it's eaten everything we've put through it. The laser works every time but the activation pad could be improved. The recoil really sucks when compared to my Kahr P380. The recoil spring in the bodyguard is too weak IMO. Having said that, overall I'd say its worthy of your consideration. The serial batch we bought starts with EAKXXXX.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Chester County)

knight0334,

I just recently purchased a Bodyguard 380 to replace my Kel-Tec P3AT. I don't really shoot it any better than the Kel-Tec but it does feel like a higher quality gun in my hand. Both feed whatever ammo I give it without a hiccup.

I put FMJ and three different brands of JHP ammo through it last weekend. Maybe 75 - 80 rounds worth. It was perfect. It is my pocket carry and likely will be for a very long time.

The laser works great and is dead on for POI. I'm thoroughly pleased. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. What's not to like?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northampton County)

I can't recommend the Bodyguard .380 enough. I was fortunate to have been able to try the other usual suspects in this category before buying, and the Bodyguard worked far and away the best for me. The trigger pull IS quite long and heavy, but I shoot it significantly more accurately than the LCP or P-3AT. I've also never experienced a malfunction. It's the perfect ankle/pocket buddy IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast