Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default thinking of buying vacant land in the area

I'm from over in NJ. Thinking of picking up some land in wayne county for weekend/summer fun. Initially to be used for camping/hunting and for a future cabin. Semi-remote but in a nice area. If im not there for 2 weeks I dont want to be in an area where my stuff will get stolen every time i leave once i build a cabin. would like to be able to hunt on the property, target shoot on the property, quad riding. camping a few weekends stuff like that. in a few years build something nice on the land. Any ideas as to where i should start looking? i dont know much about the area. just the proximity to my current place and the fact that i see some stuff is relatively affordable. would like to be near a town with a few nice places to eat and maybe a movie theater or something but far enough away that i can get a few acres of land. at least 5. prefer more than 10.

any suggestions on where to start looking?

(Warren County)

Default Re: thinking of buying vacant land in the area

Quote Originally Posted by P226R View Post
    I'm from over in NJ. Thinking of picking up some land in wayne county for weekend/summer fun. Initially to be used for camping/hunting and for a future cabin. Semi-remote but in a nice area. If im not there for 2 weeks I dont want to be in an area where my stuff will get stolen every time i leave once i build a cabin.

any suggestions on where to start looking?
    Fantasy land? No place I know of. Thieves live in the woods, too.
    And they travel, too.

I suggest you drop that criteria from your search list, so you stand a chance of finding a place.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Fantastic choice of Wayne county. My mom almost bought land there, but then money troubles started. I dunno where in wayne county to advise you, but that's a good county to get into.
    Iconoclastic Individual Specimen

(Wayne County)

Well, since I actually live in Wayne Co. I'll give you the low cynicism answer.

The truth is, most of Wayne Co. is nice. Much of it is still very rural. The main towns are Honesdale (the largest), Waymart, Hamlin (both in the middle of the Co.), Gouldsboro (on border w/ Monroe Co.)and Newfoundland (on Pike Co. border). You won't find any one of those little burgs, other than Honesdale, much different from any others. Every one has their problem areas and there is nothing stopping bored kids and junkies from breaking in. With that said, if you can afford a second home, you can afford an alarm service. That will help out considerably. So will getting to know your neighbors.

One of the bigger concerns that you will run in to is the current potential for gas drilling in the western and north western portions of the county. This will seriously effect the price unless the people are selling the property but retaining the mineral rights. Whatever you do, if you buy property, make sure that you retain the mineral rights. This isn't as much of a problem in the southern/eastern areas. This may also effect the potential of polluting your drinking water supply. It is a hotly debated topic here. You are typically either for or against drilling. Not many fence sitters.

The northern/western areas are more agricultural. The southern/eastern are more forested. Your best bet is to take a weekend or two, come over and drive around a bit to get to know the area. Some areas will grab you and some may not.

If you do come over, feel free to PM me and I can give you some ideas on where to go to look.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

Hey ya neighbor , i almost bought a house in Wayne back in 2006, beautiful little house on 5 acres backed up to some state forest land or Park, i liked it but my wife thought that the ceilings were too low, very lovely part of the state, very sunny and open when you go west as you stated.

A lot of research still needs to be done on Fracking, there is a whole lot of environmental problems that are crapping up regarding it.
    If the drinking water is affected it will definately affect your property value.

To be honest when i moved to PA i were not very much concerned about increasing my property value , to me it were not something i wanted to make money on, i just wanted some open space , quietness, clean air and water and lots of land for my son to roam around and enjoy nature, for me that was the pay off, i found that in PA. Still loving it , whenever i go away i cant wait to come home back to Pa.

If i were you i would stay Put, drilling will not affect things as much as people thinks and will have some positive effects on the local economy.

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Fantasy land? No place I know of. Thieves live in the woods, too.
    And they travel, too.

I suggest you drop that criteria from your search list, so you stand a chance of finding a place.
    i didnt mean to say it like that. let me say i'm looking for a nicer town. theives are everywhere. im not a multi millionaire, but im not looking to buy a place where the average house is a trailer or a meth lab. somewhere where people take care of their property but still have to work hard for a living.

looking for more forested ares. monroe county may be an option.

is there an area where the average house is on 1+ acres? (not in the town directly)?

almost forgot the most important part. need to be able to shoot on the land (obviously)

are there any public rangers/clubs in the area?

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by P226R View Post
    almost forgot the most important part. need to be able to shoot on the land (obviously)

are there any public rangers/clubs in the area?
    You have Range #159 by Dyberry creek in Wayne County and Range # 183 in Pike county. This is by Lake Wallenpaupack. You also have an indoor range at Heberlings Sports Shop in Pompton.

(Montgomery County)

I highly recommend chant reality tons of wayne county listings

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfan4884 View Post
    I highly recommend chant reality tons of wayne county listings
    i've been looking on his site. i see a ton of 1 acreish lots for under $5k. what is the deal with them

http://www.chantre.com/pa/hawley/lac...ounty/11-3500/

that is an example. am i missing something there? there has to be a catch right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast