Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Rock Island Armory

Just bought a M1 1911A1.45acp Great price and the gun feels solid. Anyone else happen to own one. would like some more insight if possible.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Rock Island Armory

I used to own a RIA Tactical I bought used. I had heard they had problems with JHP's, but by the time I got it, if it did those problems were worked out by then because it fed everything great. For the money, they are a good buy. Enjoy.

(Mercer County)

Thanks I'm sure I will. Have read nothing about jhp jamming.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marke1090 View Post
    Thanks I'm sure I will. Have read nothing about jhp jamming.
    I think you'll find if you replace the recoil spring and use Wilson Combat mags you should be good to go!

(Monroe County)

My everyday carry weapon is my RIA Tactical. It is all stock except for my Pachmeyr American Legend grips.

I love this gun. It is a blast to shoot, and for the money you pay it is solidly built and reliable. I did have some issues with certain HP's (just ones with wider mouths) but I found ones that worked, and since then I have discovered that even that seemed to be a mag issue, as it feeds just about anything from my Chip McCormick mag. Besides the aforementioned hiccup, I have not experienced a single malfunction in my RIA.

Don't get me wrong, it's no Kimber or Colt, but it is a good, reliable weapon, and is my favorite gun to shoot.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Monroe County)

Bought mine two years ago and it's my carry weapon. In the begining it had issues with JHP but after some break in it runs smooth and accurate with JHP and Ball. It doesn't compare to high end models in price or rep but it reminds me of my old issue sidearm from the Army only it doesn't fall apart when I shake it. It goes bang when I want it to, I am familar with shooting the M1911A1 and it didn't break the bank. I have shot roughly 3,000 rounds through it, if I could afford more ammo the count would be higher.

(Centre County)

There are people who feels that RIA isn't worth much of anything other then paper weight. Because its Phillipino made, its cast framed, some reports an issue with JHP, etc...

I for one thinks they are great guns. I have Tactical(in 9mm for wife), and its been a great weapon.
    As with many, I did have issue with JHP. Turned out that it was a magazine issue, and once thats addressed, its been 100% reliable for her.
    I spent few hundreads bucks to customize it for her liking(its mostly pink now...).

My RIA has great fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is tight - I mean its not like how tight my DanWesson was initially, mind you - Its barrel bushing is tight(no turn without the tool), back of extractor is well blended in to the back of slide, extractor is tight, and so is the firing pin stop.
    Trigger is crisp(although, Tactical should comes with overtravel stop from factory IMO). Its trigger broke at 5.1lb - which isnt bad, considering Ive seen some springfield set at almost 7lb from factory.

There are few things RIA could have to make it the even better gun.
    It needs trigger over travel stop. Its easy fix, really. OEM trigger on tactical is UGRY anyway.
    While finish is even and look good, its on thin side. I cerakoted mine.
    They needs to ditch that "Novac Style" sight cut! How hard for them to just to cut the slight to Novak cut instead?!

And they need to ditch the slippy smooth wood grip(again, its easy fix...)

You'll love yours. Go shoot the stupid thing, and report back to us how it did!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Mercer County)

There are a few mods I want to make. Plan on shooting soon will let everyone know how it goes

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: Rock Island Armory

I got one too. Buy good ammo and spend time shooting. Great guns. Some people turn their noses up because a prem-quality gun, made out of the same parts, and came out of the same factory as theirs, for a fraction of the price!

(Mercer County)

Plan on putting some rounds through the gun tomorrow. Going to try out different ammo to see what works and what doesent. Will report back when done. Again thanks everyone for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast