Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Carrying at church in MD?

I go to church in MD. Recently there was a discussion between a group of the men parishioners (including myself and the pastor) concerning a few security loopholes they'd noticed following an alarming breach that thankfully turned out to be a non-event. The pastor, who is not a pacifist having retired from the Army, mentioned the idea of having a few of the parishioners who had pistols to carry them if they felt called to do so. What I'm trying to determine is whether it would be legal for a PA resident to take the pistol in my car unloaded with me to church, load up in the parking lot and carry in church with the knowledge of the staff and pastor? I've read some MD firearms laws concerning discharge of a weapon within 100yds of a church building but can't seem to find anything on carrying. I'm still doing my research, but if anyone has any resources they can point me to that would be fantastic. Thanks!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Carrying at church in MD?

The real quick answer is NO.
    Unless you can get your church to open a firing range, then you would be good.
    Certainly someone in your congregation is a LEO, get them to carry to church.

(Centre County)

Do you have a CCW or equivalent issued by MD? Otherwise its a big no-no and not worth the risk.
    What if one of the other parishes doesn't share the concern of the pastor?

IANAL

(Franklin County)

I should have figured as much, MD being the nanny state that it is. The pastor said there is an LEO who comes to church occasionally and carries, but that's only occasionally. I'll have to make sure the pastor knows that option is off the table, but I have a feeling that he already has a pretty good idea. It's probably why he mentioned the LEO to begin with.
    Last edited by Prophet; November 8th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

It would also be illegal to leave a handgun unloaded and locked in the car -- much like it would be in Pennsylvania without a license to carry. They have exceptions similar to ours (to the range, gun shop, etc.), but have no reciprocity and a license there is virtually impossible to obtain.

(Franklin County)

Ridiculous. The pastor suggested perhaps moving the church to PA should things in MD get any worse than they already are. Things are going down the tubes pretty quick over there. Thanks guys, and not to change the subject but hang in there over these next four years, I have a feeling that globe-altering decisions are going to be made concerning our country in the near future. Keep praying and stay closely united with whatever patriots are in your vicinity, for the sake of our rkba. And last of all, stay informed. Out.