Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default Moving to Somerset

Well I just accepted a job in Somerset. I start Jan 13th and will commute weekly from Lancaster until my son graduates high school in June. Then we'll move out there permanent.

Anybody got any suggestions on places to live, both for me while commuting and when the family move? Probably looking to rent for awhile and we're not concerned about schools as the last kid at home is headed for college next fall. My wife and I both grew up in DuBois so we know winter in Western Pa.

Looks like the PGC has a range near Somerset and there are some clubs in the county. How about gunshops?

Any and all comments welcome.

Dale

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Moving to Somerset

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Well I just accepted a job in Somerset. I start Jan 13th and will commute weekly from Lancaster until my son graduates high school in June. Then we'll move out there permanent.

Anybody got any suggestions on places to live, both for me while commuting and when the family move? Probably looking to rent for awhile and we're not concerned about schools as the last kid at home is headed for college next fall. My wife and I both grew up in DuBois so we know winter in Western Pa.

Looks like the PGC has a range near Somerset and there are some clubs in the county. How about gunshops?

Any and all comments welcome.

Dale
    You might be surprised that winters in Somerset are generally worse than DuBois. I've seen snow, not drifts - but snow, upto the windows of my GMC K1500 from Somerset, southward into Confluence. And the snow drifts are a mutha-F'r. Its not uncommon for some main roads to be closed for days until they clear a drift. Just about every year Garrett Shortcut Rd gets closed for a day or two.

Ranges - you'll be looking for a sportsmans club or gamelands range.

Gun shops - there is a place a mile or two west of Somerset in a plaza on SR31(Glades Pike) - they dont have much. A really really small shop about half way between Somerset and Berlin at the intersection of Berlin Plank(SR219) and Garrett Shortcut Rd. There is also a gunsmith somewhere in Somerset, and I think he is a member here. The closest "big" gun shop is on Scalp Ave up in the Geistown/Richland Twp area just outside of Johnstown. I think there is another gun shop somewhere around Rockwood. And there is another gunshop in Berlin, but I can never catch that place when it's open. If you're up for a drive, there is Juniata Trading about 50 miles away in Everett(east of Bedford). Juniata Trading in Everett and Sporting Good Discounters near Johnstown area probably the best gun shops in the region.

As for places to live - any place in Somerset is just about the same. There really isn't any "bad neighborhoods".

People are friendly down there. DSL and cable internet is available in the urban areas, also in many of the rural areas.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 11th, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

We drove out yesterday to look around and meet the guy I will be working with. They had snow piles in the parking lots Joel said they got about 8 inches from Sandy but some places further south got 38 inches.

I knew they tended to get more snow than DuBois and I've been in Northern Cambria enough to know the drifts can be pretty amazing down that way. I was just trying to head off any 'It's a lot different weather than Lancaster' posts.

Thanks for the info on gunshops etc. I've still got family and friends in DuBois, so Grice's and Bob's are just a short hop over the mountain if need be. From various posts of yours that I've seen, you really get around the state.

Mapquest shows 2 hours to Cabelas in WV, that's a bummer. I've lived about an hour away from the Hamburg store since it opened. Oh well, I haven't bought much from them lately and they do mail order if I do want something.

Wife and teenage son will be happy to hear about cable and DSL.

Dale

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    We drove out yesterday to look around and meet the guy I will be working with. They had snow piles in the parking lots Joel said they got about 8 inches from Sandy but some places further south got 38 inches.

I knew they tended to get more snow than DuBois and I've been in Northern Cambria enough to know the drifts can be pretty amazing down that way. I was just trying to head off any 'It's a lot different weather than Lancaster' posts.

Thanks for the info on gunshops etc. I've still got family and friends in DuBois, so Grice's and Bob's are just a short hop over the mountain if need be. From various posts of yours that I've seen, you really get around the state.

Mapquest shows 2 hours to Cabelas in WV, that's a bummer. I've lived about an hour away from the Hamburg store since it opened. Oh well, I haven't bought much from them lately and they do mail order if I do want something.

Wife and teenage son will be happy to hear about cable and DSL.

Dale
    Yep, I'm down that were usually once a week. I contract to Verizon to design their outside plant(poles/cables/etc). I'm everywhere from Bellefonte, westward to the OH line. And from Warren, southward to the MD line. ...but mostly in the Johnstown/Somerset area.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 11th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

You have Hoover's on 653 from rockwood to garret and just at the edge of town is Stoner's I usually go to hoovers.there is also a Gander Mountain in Johnstown but pricey. A few good smiths around and some nice clubs, although most are away from somerset, there is one right at the south edge of town.

As for living tax rates are lower in some places than other but overall not so bad.

(Cambria County)

20 minutes North on 219 you hit Richland / Giestown. Sporting Good Discounters is there. Big selection of firearms. Gander Mt is there.

Lots of Sportsman's Clubs in the area. Sure you should be able to find a range nearby.

You ski? Just a short distance to two different ski resorts.

Couple big dams for kayaking, fishing not far away either.

I think you'll like it there. For a "rural" area, there is lots to do not that far away.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bedford County)

My wife and I rented a town house in a development on the east end of town on Rt. 31. Nice neighborhood. There is a fella in Berlin that can get you signed up in a sportman's club there with just a 100 yd range. If you need his number, I can PM it to you. And that one guy that replied about gun stores left out Cove Creek Outfitters in Bedford. They do carry alot of high end firearms (expensive double barrels to Nighthawk and Wilson 1911s)

(Somerset County)

Just an FYI. The shop in the plaza west of somerset on rt. 31 has moved. He is now about a mile further west on the opposite, east bound, side of the road. It sits back with a Glock sign out front. It is just a temporary garage now. Mullet.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by shtrdave View Post
    You have Hoover's on 653 from rockwood to garret
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    20 minutes North on 219 you hit Richland / Giestown. Sporting Good Discounters is there. Big selection of firearms.
    X2 on Hoovers and Sporting goods... both great places

(Somerset County)

I found a place to stay during the week and we moved some stuff out there yesterday. My wife is fascinated with the wind turbines so on the way home, we went past the wind farm on 160 then took 30 east towards Bedford.

In hindsight, that may not have been the wisest choice since I was hauling a trailer behind the Jeep Liberty. But we made it.

I'm looking forward to next Monday, the first day on the job.

Every time I've been out there, the gas prices are about 10 cents higher than here and 4-6 cents higher than Beford. Bummer.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; January 6th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast