Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Info Needed on transfer of handgun

Backstory:
    My dad won a 38 revolver in a shooting contest a few years ago (in PA). He gave it to me earlier this year. I would like to trade it in for something else. I have asked him for the paper work but he moved to Florida and can not find it. He can not recall the name of the shop he received the gun from. I currently live in PA.

From my understanding it is legal for him to give the gun to me without filing any paperwork because I am his son. (correct me if I am wrong)
    I would assume that I need something to show the gun shop when trading it.

Question:
    What steps do I need to do to trade this in at a gun shop?
    Who besides the original gun shop would have paper work?

Any advise would help. Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Info Needed on transfer of handgun

For him to be legal in giving you the gun you both had to been residents of the same state at the moment of transfer. If you two co-resided in another state, then that state's laws determined things.

If you both lived in PA at the moment of transfer - no other paperwork is needed. Go sell or trade the handgun as you desire.

If a you two lived in different states at the moment of transfer - you both are guilty of a federal felony and the gun is technically contraband.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

We were both residents of PA when he gave it to me., so no worrys there. He moved a month or two after, when his house sold.

Thanks for the input. I wanted to get some info before heading to the gun shop.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydixon View Post
    We were both residents of PA when he gave it to me., so no worrys there. He moved a month or two after, when his house sold.

Thanks for the input. I wanted to get some info before heading to the gun shop.
    So you are good to go. What are you going to trade in maybe somebody here would be interested and you could get a few bucks more than trade in value.

Another way to look at it, some members have regretted getting rid of firearms that were given by their Dads. You might want to keep it and pass it down as he won it so you already have a story to go with it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    So you are good to go. What are you going to trade in maybe somebody here would be interested and you could get a few bucks more than trade in value.

Another way to look at it, some members have regretted getting rid of firearms that were given by their Dads. You might want to keep it and pass it down as he won it so you already have a story to go with it.
    What ^ said..... better to sell to an individual than a gun shop as they will always give you less than you could get otherwise... Best of luck

(Centre County)

I would try to sell it outright first. A gun shop will not give you anywhere near what it is actually worth. Let us know what kind of gun it is and we may be able to help you price it. Or go to a good sized book store and look at a copy of The Blue Book of Gun Values, or Modern Firearms Gun Values and get an idea there to price it. Then list it here in the classifieds, these classifieds are looked at by a lot of people.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Monroe County)

I agree with what everyone is suggesting about trying to sell it privately before trading. You will get more for it, because the gun store will lowball you. They're not being unfair, that's just how business works. They're not going to buy it from you at a fair price, because then they wouldn't make any profit from selling it. Just remember that you'll have to do a transfer at a licensed dealer if you do sell it privately, because we live in PA, where your gun rights are only semi-respected.

Try taking a few pictures and post them in the classifieds here. If you want more exposure, go post it over in the classifieds at PA2A as well.

Once you find a buyer, simply meet the person at a licensed dealer and have the nice clerk do a transfer.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Philadelphia County)

It is a brand new never been shot Charter Arms Pink Lady 38.

Now you all see why I want to trade it in. Not exactly the gun for me.
    I just want to get a longer barrel larger caliber revolver.
    I have been looking at Ruger Blackhawks any opinions?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydixon View Post
    It is a brand new never been shot Charter Arms Pink Lady 38.

Now you all see why I want to trade it in. Not exactly the gun for me.
    I just want to get a longer barrel larger caliber revolver.
    I have been looking at Ruger Blackhawks any opinions?
    What you do with your possessions is entirely your choice, but trust me... You will get significantly more out of it if you sell it outright. Then you will have more to put toward a gun that is more suited to your tastes. But I suppose if money is no concern to you, go right ahead and bring it to a gun shop and get approximately half of what it's really worth.

As far as the Ruger Blackhawk goes, I have never fired one, but I have heard good things about them. Ruger does and always has made a good quality weapon.

Look at it this way: A quick google search shows that a factory new Pink Lady .38 retails for about $350 - $425. You could realistically, and fairly easily, sell this weapon outright for somewhere in the ball park of $275 - $325, perhaps a bit more if you really sell the point that it's unfired.

If you bring that gun into a gun shop for a trade in, my estimation is that you'd get about $150 - $250 for it. Most likely closer to $150, or even less.

Not being as familiar with this particular gun, I could be a bit off on those numbers. But the principle remains the same across the board. Generally, a gun store will give you about 1/2 to 2/3 of the resale value of the gun.

I can't make you change your mind, but there's the info. Do with it as you will.
    Last edited by snakeman21; November 8th, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Philadelphia County)

snakeman:
    I just had a conversation with a co-worker who owns a few guns and he said the same thing. I your numbers seem realistic. I guess my best bet is to post it in some classifieds; Take it to a shop and transfer it to a new owner.

Thanks for everyones input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast