Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Question carry while riding in a vehicle

Kind of an obscure interpretation of the law question...

I have a LTCF, My father does not. He visits quite often from Maryland and always wants to drive when we go out. I know I can carry loaded in a vehicle but Im just wondering if there are any problems associated with my carrying while he is driving. Im assumng he is ok if we get stopped for some reason but is he technically the one transporting a loaded firearm in a vehicle or does my LTCF cover him in this situation?

"Without a LTCF, or other state permit, handguns may only
    be transported, unloaded, to and from specific activities and
    locations. To and from: the place of purchase, repair, range,
    hunting location, etc."

(Monroe County)

Default Re: carry while riding in a vehicle

As long as you are licensed, you can carry your weapon in a vehicle. Whether you or someone else is driving that vehicle is legally irrelevant.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Jefferson County)

So long as you are in possession of the gun your dad has no issues. Who is driving the vehicle has absolutely no bearing on things.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

In Pa, If there is a loaded firearm in the passenger area of a vehicle within reach of ANY occupant, SOMEONE in the vehicle must posses a valid LTCF. However, that being said, the only person in that vehicle legally allowed to posses said firearm is the individual (s) with the LTCF. Now on the other hand, anyone leagally allowed to posses a firearm in Pa CAN open carry WITHOUT a LTCF except for in the cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where you must have a LTCF to carry AT ALL.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigpro4ty View Post
    In Pa, If there is a loaded firearm in the passenger area of a vehicle within reach of ANY occupant, SOMEONE in the vehicle must posses a valid LTCF. However, that being said, the only person in that vehicle legally allowed to posses said firearm is the individual (s) with the LTCF. Now on the other hand, anyone leagally allowed to posses a firearm in Pa CAN open carry WITHOUT a LTCF except for in the cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh where you must have a LTCF to carry AT ALL.
    Unless you're in a vehicle traveling to a location that doesn't fit one of the exceptions. If you're in a vehicle, it doesn't matter if you're OC or CC, you must have an LTCF to transport unless you're traveling under one of the exceptions spelled out in the UFA>
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigpro4ty View Post
    In a vehicle, loaded or unloaded doesn't matter to handguns. A person needs a LTCF to merely have a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in, on, or upon a vehicle.

Unlicensed open carry is only legal on foot outside of Philly. Pittsburgh is not a City of the First Class, so it follows the same standard as the rest of the state. But no matter what, unless you fall under one of 6106(b)'s exemptions you need a license to just have a "firearm" in/on/upon a vehicle.

Now, since we are in a Declared State of Emergency, a person needs a LTCF to carry openly or conceal anywhere within the state - including long guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    In a vehicle, loaded or unloaded doesn't matter to handguns. A person needs a LTCF to merely have a "firearm"(handgun, SBS, SBR) in, on, or upon a vehicle.

Unlicensed open carry is only legal on foot outside of Philly. Pittsburgh is not a City of the First Class, so it follows the same standard as the rest of the state. But no matter what, unless you fall under one of 6106(b)'s exemptions you need a license to just have a "firearm" in/on/upon a vehicle.

Now, since we are in a Declared State of Emergency, a person needs a LTCF to carry openly or conceal anywhere within the state - including long guns.
    I actually didn't know we were still in a State of Emergency.

How exactly would one going about checking on that? My Google-Fu is failing me at the moment.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    I actually didn't know we were still in a State of Emergency.

How exactly would one going about checking on that? My Google-Fu is failing me at the moment.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...lamations/4725

I had a hard time finding it too until I saw someone use the word proclamation.

As I understand, a new proclamation will show up when he clears it.

(Lancaster County)

Could a lot of hunters be in jeopardy due to the SOE still being enforced?

(Chester County)

AFAIK hunting is an exception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast