Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Caliber Uniformity

Here is my situation. I currently have a .40 cal. In the near future I will be buying my wife a 9mm. Along with that purchase; I will be buying either a Glock 19 or 23.

From everyone else's experience, do you try to stick to one or two calibers or an assortment? I am trying to see what other people do and what the reasons are behind it. Obviously it's more convenient to have one caliber, but there are reasons for different calibers. Also, with ammo being short and costing a bit more. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Caliber Uniformity

I though I'd attempt to stick with a few calibers, it didn't work. I feel like most people want to stick with one or two calibers, but it isn't really feasible to have a little of everything. I have 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9mm, .45 ACP, .22 LR, .17 HMR, 7.62x54R,, and a .357 on they way. I don't have a reason for a single damn one of them. I just buy what I like.

(Clarion County)

Post deleted by me.

Sorry, I thought you were talking bout reloading. But after having my coffee and rechecking the OP I see where you are talking bout commercial ammo. My post was bout reloading as I haven't bought commercial ammo in a decade or so. carry on.
    Last edited by cephas; December 29th, 2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: deleted original post
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

From everyone else's experience, do you try to stick to one or two calibers or an assortment?
    I sure did, that was my plan.....and it didn't last long. As time when by and I really got into shooting, collecting and tinkering something went haywire.

In most things in my life I try to keep things simple and uniform tools for instance...heck even my clothes.

As for guns, well it all started out long ago simple enough, A shotgun (12 gauge) then I figured something for plinking (.22) hey look at them cheap Mausers! (8mm) Look! AK's and SKS"s (7.62x39) then Enfields (.303) hey what the heck is a Mosin? (7.62x54) Let me build a couple of FAL's (7.62x51) heck I can build a FAL how about a Garand? (.30-06) whats a WW2 collection without a carbine? (.30 carbine) Hmm what is this here AR thing (.223) I need a carry pistol (.45) oops to big and bulky for summer (.38/357) hey look a cute little (9mm) the kids want to go hunting with me? (.243).....

Yep....things started out simple enough, but somewhere, somehow, things veered off course and my "simple plan" failed.

Only thing that is uniform anymore are the shotguns ....all 12 gauge.

Now I reload.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I sure did, that was my plan.....and it didn't last long. As time when by and I really got into shooting, collecting and tinkering something went haywire.

In most things in my life I try to keep things simple and uniform tools for instance...heck even my clothes.

As for guns, well it all started out long ago simple enough, A shotgun (12 gauge) then I figured something for plinking (.22) hey look at them cheap Mausers! (8mm) Look! AK's and SKS"s (7.62x39) then Enfields (.303) hey what the heck is a Mosin? (7.62x54) Let me build a couple of FAL's (7.62x51) heck I can build a FAL how about a Garand? (.30-06) whats a WW2 collection without a carbine? (.30 carbine) Hmm what is this here AR thing (.223) I need a carry pistol (.45) oops to big and bulky for summer (.38/357) hey look a cute little (9mm) the kids want to go hunting with me? (.243).....

Yep....things started out simple enough, but somewhere, somehow, things veered off course and my "simple plan" failed.

Only thing that is uniform anymore are the shotguns ....all 12 gauge.

Now I reload.
    Funny , that's sounds like my story , except for the shotties . I have 12 , 16 , 20 ,and 410 and still looking for a 14 ga
    DAN

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    Funny , that's sounds like my story , except for the shotties . I have 12 , 16 , 20 ,and 410 and still looking for a 14 ga
    Heck, why not get 10 and 28 for the inside straight.

I had a simple plan when I started too. 12 ga for trap, 38 Spec/357 Mag for carry, 22LR for cheap plinking fun and 30-06 to reach out and touch stuff long-range. Then something happened...

"Hello my name is Rik." (Hi Rik.) "I haven't bought a new gun in 6 days. Wait! Do used guns count? Damn."

I, like many others here suffer from Gun Acquisition Syndrome. (GAS) Now the ammo locker has 22LR, .223 Rem, 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 54R, 30-06, .308, 380 ACP, 9mm Lugar, 38 Spec, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Spec, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 12 Ga and 20 Ga.

I'm not worried tho, I can quit whenever I want.

(Bucks County)

Came into 2012 with 2 rifles: a 45 yr old Remington 700 30-06 last hunted with in 1967, and a Marlin single-shot .22LR last fired over 30 years ago.

This year bought a S&W M&P 9mm FS for HD, a Ruger .22 pistol for plinking, a Ruger LCP (.380 auto) as a pocket carry, and a beautiful S&W-E 1911 .45acp as a "vanity" gun. Got tired of my shoulder being punished at the 300yd range, and since no one wanted me to have one, bought an AR-15. Turned out the 1911 and AR15 are by *far* my favorite shooters.

Now in the process of getting a .223 bolt action in a longer barrel, higher twist for heavier projectiles.

Point is each firearm had a purpose to me, things turned out differently than I was told or expected, and the caliber choice was mostly . . . well, what it was.

So I started reloading . . .

(Chester County)

I try to stick to 9mm and 45ACP for pistols, since I already have those calibers. Although I wouldn't let caliber deter me from purchasing any other pistol that I may want.

Long guns I don't worry about caliber.

(Dauphin County)

Thank you everyone for the replies. Looks like I won't try and fight to keep everything uniformed. Welcome to collecting firearms I guess. It will be fun.

Now to it's time to start reloading. I keep my brass anyway, so why not.

Have a great New Year.

(Jefferson County)

If I were you, I'd stick with what is commonly used by the military or the police in your area.

If crap hits the fan, you can get Beretta M9/92FS parts, magazines, and ammunition from military depots and fallen soldiers.

At minimum I'd stick with 9mm.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast