Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default LTCF Renewal notice received 23 days not 60 before expiration?

Westmoreland County Sheriff, Johnathan Held, send me a renewal letter and application dated 10/1/2012, stating my LTCF expires on 10/24/2012.

I have seen it quoted on this forum that the Sheriff is required to send you a notice at least 60 days before expiration http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ml#post2004702

I am planning to go to his office tomorrow to renew. Anyone have a letter they have used in this situation? Or perhaps the exact source of the rule?

I wasn't aware of this rule until I did a search on the SSN to see what kind of trouble I might expect if I do not provide it and found the post linked above.

FYI. I am going to a bad part of town tomorrow night and was hoping to have this renewed "on the spot" so I can CC loaded. Not expecting any trouble, but we never do

Thanks.
    I Dial 1911

Default Re: LTCF Renewal notice received 23 days not 60 before expiration?

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

<SNIP>

(f) Term of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

(Lehigh County)

I haven't received mine yet, but I thought you are in the clear if you have an expired license (within 6 months past expiration)

12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

Then again, it could be saying you're committing a misdemeanor 1 by carrying after its expired.

I hardly understand all the legal mumbo jumbo and IANAL goes without saying.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...&css=L2&mode=2

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

<SNIP>

(f) Term of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    Notice how they have a nice little disclaimer in there though. Business as usual in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Notice how they have a nice little disclaimer in there though. Business as usual in PA.
    So basically, if the sheriff feels like sending them out OK, if not... well that's OK too...and the sheriff's dept. pockets the $1.50 per license "renewal reminder fee"

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the reference and the comments!

I am going to take the first 2 pages with me and pages 1-2 & 17 of Stollenwerk v Miller (for the SSN issue) with me, just in case.

Has anyone else had this late renewal notice issue in Westmoreland County? Looking to determine the choice of "friendly comment" or "please make a change in your procedures" position.

If they are being negligent regarding these renewals to others, too, my letter is a nice and neat record, having both the letter date and renewal date in writing from the Sheriff.

Otherwise, just about any comment back from them that starts with "Sorry" will be about it, being an unusual paperwork mistake rather than intentional.

(Lots of you other guys are the ones on the front lines in your situations. My turn, if needed )
    I Dial 1911

(Lackawanna County)

Ther 60-days is not as critical now that they should all be instant issue. The SSN number helps with the federal PIC Check. Most people just give them the last 4 numbers.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Ther 60-days is not as critical now that they should all be instant issue. The SSN number helps with the federal PIC Check. Most people just give them the last 4 numbers.
    Nothing is easy in Lehigh county it seems lol.

I was instantly told "35 days"

(Delaware County)

In DelCo, you could be in for a 2-month+ wait - nothing at all "instant" here...

(Allegheny County)

The license expires on a certain day. You know that day. Take responsibility for your own license and be proactive about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast