Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Threatened at the poll this morning

Today I voted early, as my daughter, who was able to vote for the first time wanted some company before she went to work. I have carried openly there for years without incident. When we arrived this morning, a man who I know by sight came up to me and identified himself as the judge or president of the election. I forget his title exactly. He was in charge as far as he was concerned.

Since it was only 24 deg out, I had a jacket on. He greeted me, patted his side, and told me he was glad I had my gun covered up. He went on to say that if there was a crowd, he would have required me as a courtesy to leave it out in my vehicle. I told him "Absolutely not!"

To make a long story a little shorter, he insisted he could require me to leave it outside, and told me he would call the constable. I said "Get him". He could not find him, but called some person on the phone who confirmed his erroneous opinion. He then threatened to take me to court. I responded that I would welcome the opportunity.

As a side note, this same man solicited me last year to work for him on his next campaign, noting the timbre of my very deep voice and its value in a radio setting. In light of that I informed him that not only would I gladly see him in court about carrying, but now that I knew his attitude, I would be sure to actively oppose him on any future endeavors in his running for any office.

On the way out I stopped to speak to a group of ladies. Two I know personally, and the third was Gary Day's wife. While I was relating the story he emerged from the building to try and change his position, denying that he ever told me he could force me to not carry. I reminded him of his exact words, and indicated my daughter, who witnessed the whole thing. I then reminded him that he was a politician, so I was not surprised at him changing his story almost immediately. I then repeated that I would carry my gun anywhere it was legal, and removed my coat right there on the spot. The ladies were enjoying this exchange immensely. At that point he rolled his eyes and retreated to his lair. I know there will be at least one other open carrier at this poll today. He has been alerted to my experience already.

ETA: For those of you not from around here, Gary Day is our state rep, and is very friendly to gun rights.
    Last edited by PennsyPlinker; November 6th, 2012 at 04:28 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Threatened at the poll this morning

Bravo.

Although I know better than to expect less.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PennsyPlinker again.

(Washington County)

Awesome job! Bet it was cold without the jacket lol.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Bravo.

Although I know better than to expect less.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PennsyPlinker again.

Got him.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I'd rep you for use of the word "lair", if I could.....
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'd rep you for use of the word "lair", if I could.....
    I got him for you...

(Berks County)

Nice work Bill. Nice work
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

Well done sir. I could not rep you either.

I always enjoy reading about your encounters because I know they are conducted in a gentlemanly fashion. I can visualize the encounter and laugh at the frustration of the opposition.

(Monroe County)

WELL DONE SIR! I have given you rep for ME and for others who couldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Today I voted early, as my daughter, who was able to vote for the first time wanted some company before she went to work. I have carried openly there for years without incident. When we arrived this morning, a man who I know by sight came up to me and identified himself as the judge or president of the election. I forget his title exactly. He was in charge as far as he was concerned.

Since it was only 24 deg out, I had a jacket on. He greeted me, patted his side, and told me he was glad I had my gun covered up. He went on to say that if there was a crowd, he would have required me as a courtesy to leave it out in my vehicle. I told him "Absolutely not!"

To make a long story a little shorter, he insisted he could require me to leave it outside, and told me he would call the constable. I said "Get him". He could not find him, but called some person on the phone who confirmed his erroneous opinion. He then threatened to take me to court. I responded that I would welcome the opportunity.

As a side note, this same man solicited me last year to work for him on his next campaign, noting the timbre of my very deep voice and its value in a radio setting. In light of that I informed him that not only would I gladly see him in court about carrying, but now that I knew his attitude, I would be sure to actively oppose him on any future endeavors in his running for any office.

On the way out I stopped to speak to a group of ladies. Two I know personally, and the third was Gary Day's wife. While I was relating the story he emerged from the building to try and change his position, denying that he ever told me he could force me to not carry. I reminded him of his exact words, and indicated my daughter, who witnessed the whole thing. I then reminded him that he was a politician, so I was not surprised at him changing his story almost immediately. I then repeated that I would carry my gun anywhere it was legal, and removed my coat right there on the spot. The ladies were enjoying this exchange immensely. At that point he rolled his eyes and retreated to his lair. I know there will be at least one other open carrier at this poll today. He has been alerted to my experience already.
    Nice work, man. I know it was frustrating for you, but honestly this just got better and better as the story went on.

"...removed my coat right there on the spot."

Cheers,
    afd

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast