Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glock 27, second round FTF??

Hey there PAFOA, long time listener, first time caller!

I went to the range for the first time in a long time today. My G27, which I have maybe 1000 rounds down range, failed to fire the second round 3 times today. I was using the factory mags with PMC Bronze 165 gr Jacketed Flat Nose rounds. It hasn't been used in nearly 10 years, as I got out of shooting due to money, time and I have nowhere to shoot. I'm having trouble figuring out what went wrong, I'm ok with blaming the ammo since I have never used it before. The Glock has only ever seen UMC 165gr. But, it was only the second round and it just seems suspicious. The other PMC I shot (.223 and .38spl) fired just fine and without issue.

So any ideas? I can take some pics of the Glock, mags or the unfired rounds if it will help.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Glock 27, second round FTF??

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaIX View Post
    Hey there PAFOA, long time listener, first time caller!

I went to the range for the first time in a long time today. My G27, which I have maybe 1000 rounds down range, failed to fire the second round 3 times today. I was using the factory mags with PMC Bronze 165 gr Jacketed Flat Nose rounds. It hasn't been used in nearly 10 years, as I got out of shooting due to money, time and I have nowhere to shoot. I'm having trouble figuring out what went wrong, I'm ok with blaming the ammo since I have never used it before. The Glock has only ever seen UMC 165gr. But, it was only the second round and it just seems suspicious. The other PMC I shot (.223 and .38spl) fired just fine and without issue.

So any ideas? I can take some pics of the Glock, mags or the unfired rounds if it will help.
    Just curious, and not sure if this would make a difference, but were the magazines full? Maybe try with a half full magazine, see if the spring in there isn't working right under pressure?

I'm far from an expert, heck I'm probably far from an amateur, just taking the only rational thinking I can towards that issue.

WOW! Thats a fast reply!

Yes, the mags were full and I did not load the chamber. Crazy thing was, the fourth mag had no issue at all.

I will try with a half mag and maybe just 2 rounds in the morning if I can.

Thanks!

Light primer strikes on the rounds that failed to fire, or NO strikes at all?
    Jules

All 3 had definite strikes. Is there a "quick and dirty" rule for primer depth. I was thinking of getting out a straight edge and my feeler gauges and trying to determine the depth. But I'm cleaning the guns and catching up on all the horror movies I missed out on from Halloween. Black Christmas is on now!

It hasn't been used in nearly 10 years,

just seems suspicious. .

Sounds like a gummy gun. Clean it well, especially the firing pin channel, relube, and then retry.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Has this happened with more than 1 magazine? That should be the first thing checked. My glock never malfunctioned in the 2000 rounds I put through it untill I had somehow got a faulty mag as unlikely as that is....Im convinced that was the problem. I had 4 or 5 FTE's with this mag only. Stopped using that mag and 1000 rounds later and its never happened again. Always a possibility.

(Lehigh County)

WOW! Thats a fast reply!

Yes, the mags were full and I did not load the chamber. Crazy thing was, the fourth mag had no issue at all.

I will try with a half mag and maybe just 2 rounds in the morning if I can.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1914 View Post
    Has this happened with more than 1 magazine? That should be the first thing checked. My glock never malfunctioned in the 2000 rounds I put through it untill I had somehow got a faulty mag as unlikely as that is....Im convinced that was the problem. I had 4 or 5 FTE's with this mag only. Stopped using that mag and 1000 rounds later and its never happened again. Always a possibility.

Since he had one mag work fine, I'd say the other mags probably need cleaning.

Are the light primer strikes in the center of the primer or are they high?
    Jules

With a gun sitting that long I would probably do a detail strip and look everything over well. Make sure the firing pin channel is bone dry with no oil or dirt in it. I detail strip my new guns to make sure there is oil where is supposed be be oil.

It is possible you could have mag issues. I stamped numbers in the base plate of all my mags (1,2,3,4 and etc) so I can tell them apart easily if I am having issues. The older mags have lower numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast