Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Concealed Carry in Philly

I have a valid LTCF out of Lackawanna county. I was recently told that in order to carry in Philly you need some special permit. After doing some research I cannot find anything that validates this point. My question is, does anyone know of such a law/regulation? Or does the LTCF cover me in philly for concealed carry?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry in Philly

Philly requires nothing except the LTCF. It can be issued from anywhere in Pennsylvania.

I am not a lawyer.
    There are stickies in the open and conceal carry sections which explain reciprocity and restricted areas to carry.

You can also check paopencarry.org

A PA LTCF issued in any county in PA is valid in Philly as well as in any other county in the state.

(Lehigh County)

I suggest reading everything here: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

Everything.

it can't hurt to know it.

Also this http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...-philadelphia/

(Delaware County)

Read the above posted stickies, but, as previously stated, nothing other than a valid PA LTCF or a permit from a state with a reciprocity agreement is needed to carry either openly or concealed in Philadelphia. I live in a suburb outside the city and have a LTCF from my home county, but I carry in the city regularly, as do many others here on the forum.

Be aware of the draconian knife laws though in Philadelphia. Unless actively engaged in a "job or calling" that requires a knife, you may not possess one on city streets. There are no size/length exceptions. It's rarely enforced and I'm only aware of it being used as an add-on charge, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't be prosecuted if the wrong person noticed a knife clipped to your pocket.

(Of course, I am not a lawyer.)

Pa has preemption with no grandfather, so Philly can't make their own gun laws no matter how hard they try, and they've tried but they were all struck down in the court of law, basically to carry in Philly either openly or concealed all you need is a ltcf from pa or any other state they recognize
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Philadelphia County)

you dont need a special permit to carry here, you have a valid LTCF you can carry in any county in the state. or any state pa has reciprocity with.
    You r one dumb son of a b!tch, bringina knifetoa gunfight

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post

Be aware of the draconian knife laws though in Philadelphia. Unless actively engaged in a "job or calling" that requires a knife, you may not possess one on city streets. There are no size/length exceptions. It's rarely enforced and I'm only aware of it being used as an add-on charge, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't be prosecuted if the wrong person noticed a knife clipped to your pocket.

(Of course, I am not a lawyer.)
    Good to know this, I was utterly unaware. I have perpetually kept a small knife in my car for over a decade and travel and recreate in the city quite often and quite regularly have a pocketknife on my person.

As for carrying in Philadelphia, if you live elsewhere and do not wish to have the potential hassle of being bullied by LE and possibly delaying your trip home....although its your full right to do so, do yourself a favor and carry concealed and perhaps leave the open carry for when you have time, vigor and energy to suffer the knuckle-hotheadedness of LE and traumatized citizenry that will surely call LE. If you have a day to spend educating those about you regarding our rights "that might not be infringed..", then by all means but if you plan to buy a pair of shoes, maybe grab a dinner and generally have a unfussed day, conceal it.

In truth carrying openly in the greater phila region is quite rare and not the standard. I've lived here for 27-years and have honestly never seen been witness to a single instance of open carry although I'm sure someone somewhere is doing it.

(Montgomery County)

Someone may be thinking of Philadelphia's rule requiring an LTCF in order to Open Carry.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Someone may be thinking of Philadelphia's rule requiring an LTCF in order to Open Carry.
    I think that may be the case also. In Philly you need a ltcf for any mode of carry. Elsewhere in the state you can usually open carry without a ltcf. There are exceptions but I think that may be where the op's confussion comes from.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast