Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Defective Sig?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Defective Sig?

Hi this is my first post in the forums but I've used pafoa for other information in the past. Anyway, I bought a used Sig Sauer p226 with the rail and an e2 grip about two months ago. Needless to say, after bringing it to the range and dumping about 200 rounds down range I noticed something off about it. After jumping through a few hoops I got it back to Sig and had the problem diagnosed and to the best of my knowledge corrected.

The issue: Slide fit to frame fit was not as it should have been. The gun would not shoot groups and it would "halo". When the gun was unloaded and the action was forward I was able to push the barrel down on the breach a healthy 8th of an inch. (So I'm not sure if it was the barrel or the slide).

What Sig did: Replaced the barrel

What should I do. Test it out at the range or sell it for cash and cut
    My losses.

Default Re: Defective Sig?

I'd probably want to test it or have an experienced person test it before I tried to sell it. I don't buy used guns unless i shoot them, first. I don't want someone else's heartache.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

That doesn't sound like an issue that occurs often. It may have just been a once and done problem. I would test it out again at the range. Do you have calipers on hand for measuring gaps? I would measure the gaps at the slide before and after the shoot. Same for the barrel. That way, you see what is happening if it happens again.

(Elk County)

Do the other half of the experiment.

Shoot it, and as 300WM suggested, have an experienced shooter also fire the SIG to get a measure of its accuracy post-repair.

Then make a decision if you want to keep it or sell it for the rent money.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydas1 View Post
    Hi this is my first post in the forums but I've used pafoa for other information in the past. Anyway, I bought a used Sig Sauer p226 with the rail and an e2 grip about two months ago. Needless to say, after bringing it to the range and dumping about 200 rounds down range I noticed something off about it. After jumping through a few hoops I got it back to Sig and had the problem diagnosed and to the best of my knowledge corrected.

The issue: Slide fit to frame fit was not as it should have been. The gun would not shoot groups and it would "halo". When the gun was unloaded and the action was forward I was able to push the barrel down on the breach a healthy 8th of an inch. (So I'm not sure if it was the barrel or the slide).

What Sig did: Replaced the barrel

What should I do. Test it out at the range or sell it for cash and cut
    My losses.
    Welcome to the forum.

I tend to err on the side of being a Sig fanboy, so when I saw your thread title, I was all "what the...?"

I'd test it out for sure. And by test it out I mean at least a couple hundred rounds. If it's working, it's working. I understand the psychological problem here, that you might always be wondering if it's going to fail, but you have to remember that it's a machine, and if it had a broken part, which got fixed, it shouldn't have any more problems.

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you all for the help. I picked it up a few hours ago and it looks and feels much better than the day I got it. They replaced the barrel and I guess the next step is to wait for a nice day and try it myself. They also sent the target the test fired it on from 25 yds and it appears that it's driving nails like it should be. I am a "sig fanboy" and I know this isn't a common thing for their products to have issues like this.