Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Requesting thoughts about a MPA930SST 9mm

Firstly, as a specific reference to what I'm interested in: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...2+TB+wScope+Mo

What are your thoughts on this handgun? I am interested in this gun primarily for home defense, but also because it looks great (to me atleast), I love the magazine capacity, and looks like it would be fun to practice shoot with. Would anyone be opposed to this specific firearm as a home defense weapon, and why? Inversely, would anyone specifically support this weapon for home defense? Why?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Requesting thoughts about a MPA930SST 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    Firstly, as a specific reference to what I'm interested in: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...2+TB+wScope+Mo

What are your thoughts on this handgun? I am interested in this gun primarily for home defense, but also because it looks great (to me atleast), I love the magazine capacity, and looks like it would be fun to practice shoot with. Would anyone be opposed to this specific firearm as a home defense weapon, and why? Inversely, would anyone specifically support this weapon for home defense? Why?

Thanks so much.
    get a glock 17 with some 33 round mags rather than play around with a novelty item like this.

as far as home defense, get an 870 pump or a large frame .45 cal pistol like a 1911 if you have the money or one of the hi point poly .45s if you only have limited resources.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Chester County)

I want one as a novelty but as a go to home defense gun I'd pass. Nothing beats a regular old decent quality pistol. Glock, springfields, s&w, etc. magazine capacity isn't a huge issue in my book. 12-15 rounds is more than adequate for home defense, if you need more than that in your own house your probably already F'd.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

Thanks for answering, could you be a little more specific though in reference to your comment about it being a novelty item? What are some reasons that this gun would not be suitable for home defense?
    I do actually already have a 12g pump, which is great… but am more specifically interested in the handgun realm, especially the aforementioned 9mm. I am not currently interested in larger caliber handgun such as a .45 because I am not yet experienced with handguns and would like to start out with a 9mm.

I used to have the MPA 30 with 6" barrel, side cocker, and only the peep sight (of course I modified the sight, some). If you shoot it a lot, it will rub your strong hand bird finger like there is no tomorrow. I filed my trigger guard so that edge was round. I had to do some work on the trigger because it was impossible to slow fire it; it simply was too easy to bump fire out of the box. Once I got that fixed, it worked well. I had a b*&^% of a time getting extra mags for it. One cool thing is you can call and talk to the owner of the company. In modifying the peep sight, I took some of the thickness out of the front post and epoxied a smaller peep hole on the back to make it more precise. It worked very well. The only problems I had with mine were a couple of the hardened Allen head screws kept breaking. Finally replaced them with nuts and bolts from HD and ground them to fit. No more problems there. Other thing is it eats recoil pads, quickly. Buy a few spares if you get one. As far as home defense? My personal take is it is a hard weapon to flick around. If your target is straight up, then it isn't so much of a problem. Even though you are looking at the mini, it is still a little cumbersome, especially with a two handed grip. I kept mine in my living room in an undisclosed place. 30 rounds was too hard to get in so I just left mine at 27. Oh yea, it is a fun range gun.

After about three years of having it, I stumbled across a Winchester 1300 Speed Pump 12 ga. that I had to have. It was NIB, stowed away at a dealer's store. We traded even. I occasionally wish I still had it, but the Speed Pump hits clays much easier.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Thanks for answering, could you be a little more specific though in reference to your comment about it being a novelty item? What are some reasons that this gun would not be suitable for home defense?
    I do actually already have a 12g pump, which is great… but am more specifically interested in the handgun realm, especially the aforementioned 9mm. I am not currently interested in larger caliber handgun such as a .45 because I am not yet experienced with handguns and would like to start out with a 9mm.
    if it is for home defense/range/learning to shoot, get something full size like a springfield armory xdm9, glock 17/19 or a smith and wesson mp9. these are all great guns that will last you a lifetime and have infinite after-market parts.

you can use anything that goes bang to defend yourself in your home. i am not sure why anyone would waste their money (unless it is for novelty purposes) on something less proven when there are so many fantastic options in the same price range.
    Montani Semper Liberi

What are some reasons that this gun would not be suitable for home defense?
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    As far as home defense? My personal take is it is a hard weapon to flick around. If your target is straight up, then it isn't so much of a problem. Even though you are looking at the mini, it is still a little cumbersome, especially with a two handed grip. I kept mine in my living room in an undisclosed place. 30 rounds was too hard to get in so I just left mine at 27. Oh yea, it is a fun range gun.
    I believe you can fight with this gun if you really trained with it. Movie stars been blasting each other for years with these things. To just pick one up and start shooting bandits with little to no experience with one would be harder than with a normal semi auto, IMO, but it could be done with practice. Redneck definition of novelty is simply 'not normal, but you want one anyway'.

(Cumberland County)

I purchased the MPA930T from Buds in the digital camo. Nice gun, have never had any issues. I personally would not use it for home defense - for me, it is just a "fun gun" for the range.
    If I ever have to shoot an intruder, I prefer not to have some anti gun prosecutor come after me for using an "uzi" "assault pistol" to shoot an intruder - turning me into the bad guy! Besides that, it's not the best for aiming - it's pretty much a "spray gun". For me, I have a 12 gauge pistol grip mossberg by the bed and my Springfield XDS and Kahr K9 in the nightstand. No need to aim much with the Mossberg, and if I need more, either pistol will do the trick.
    I would go for the MPA, but for fun and range not home protection. Just my opinion. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I would go for the MPA, but for fun and range
    Definitely fun at the range, once you get the bump firing under control. When the range officer looks at you for the third time, you know it's time to put it away and get the files out.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    if it is for home defense/range/learning to shoot, get something full size like a springfield armory xdm9, glock 17/19 or a smith and wesson mp9. these are all great guns that will last you a lifetime and have infinite after-market parts.

you can use anything that goes bang to defend yourself in your home. i am not sure why anyone would waste their money (unless it is for novelty purposes) on something less proven when there are so many fantastic options in the same price range.
    Thanks, and I am of the same opinion in reference to defending your home (within reason of course).. I guess there are multiple motivations for getting this gun such as range/learning to shoot, but at the end of the day I want to be able to pull it out and defend at home successfully if needed. I like certain features such as the slide safety and the overall appearance of the gun is very appealing to me. All in all I suppose what I want is a novelty item that is also acceptable for real-life home defense situations, all the while being under $500.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast