Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Surplus Gen2 Glock 23 Review

The Gen2 17, 19, 22, and 23 are the guns Glock built its' reputation on. They're utterly reliable, lightweight, soft shooting, more accurate than 99% of the people that shoot them, and extremely simple in design and function. In the last few years, these Gen2 guns have been flooding the surplus market as departments upgrade their guns to the newer Gen4 guns. The good news for the public is that while most of these guns were carried a lot and show some wear, many were shot very little over their lifetime and have plenty of life left in them.

Pros:
    -Reliable. The gun has had 0 malfunctions
    -Accurate (more accurate than I am)
    -Durable. There are many of these guns with documented round counts over 25k that have only had simple spring replacements in that time
    -Easy to maintain
    -TONS of aftermarket support
    -Accepts 13, 15, and 22 round factory magazines
    -Small and light enough to carry but holds 13+1
    -Glock's customer service is second to none
    -Durable finish
    -Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
    -Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
    -Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
    -Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
    -Many people prefer the Gen2 grip without the finger grooves present on the Gen3/4 guns
    -No MIM parts on these older guns so those who worry about the ejection issues with the current guns can be confident buying these Gen2s

Cons:
    -I'm not a fan of the Glock factory plastic sights
    -Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)
    -When I first inspected the gun, I noticed the slide stop lever had almost no spring tension and replaced it. What I'm getting at there is that you'll certainly want to inspect the guns because some departments out there do very little armoror work (if any at all) on their guns.

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, a table top review and discussion, a size comparison with other Glocks and the SIG P229 and a chronograph test with some popular defensive loads:

Chrono numbers:

Winchester Ranger 135gr JHP: 1160fps, 403 ft/lbs energy
    Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP: 1016fps, 413 ft/lbs energy

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Surplus Gen2 Glock 23 Review

Nice. Do you have a surplus source?

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Nice. Do you have a surplus source?
    I don't. I just watch slickguns.com and gun-deals.com pretty frequently. The last batch of Gen2 23s sold out in about an hour so you do have to watch it...

(Lycoming County)

I liked everything on mine but the grips it was the gun that made me a non glock owner lol...loved glocks till i owned one thats not to say they are not a great gun they are its just to say that the grips are not for everyone...I liked it mine was very similar to yours but also had aftermarket XS Big Dot sights installed(tritium was almost gone as the glow was very minimal/dim) but IF Glocks fit your hand I can highly recommend the surplus/LE trade in Glock 23's especially in 2nd gen because...:

1.they don't have those damn ridiculous finger grips

2. no rail is a PLUS in my book I dont want junk dangling off the front of my gun

3. worked 100%

4. good price with only minimal interior wear and some holstering/unholstering wear on outside.

if they fit your hand they are a great deal(now also after using the .40 S&W im not a fan of that round either id rather have .45 ACP or 9mm...but thats another story )