Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ruger LCR?

(Luzerne County)

Default Ruger LCR?

Can anyone review this for me? Is it easy to conceal and carry? How's the trigger, etc.?

Default Re: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    Can anyone review this for me? Is it easy to conceal and carry? How's the trigger, etc.?
    Easy to conceal is relative... My wife (5 ft 4in 120) owns this gun and loves it. She doesnt carry it due to carrying her lcp. The trigger is crisp and has a nice pull to it. She also says its dead accurate and groups very well. Shooting .357 out of it definitely packs a punch but the .38s shoot like a dream.

(Allegheny County)

Over the years, my BUG at work has always been a S&W snubby. The models changed through the years but it was a S&W.

A year or so ago, I traded my S&W 342ti .38 special and replaced it with a Ruger LCR .38 special. The LCR has the best trigger out of any snubby that I have ever owned. Again, I have had more than a FEW S&Ws and several Colts.

Does it conceal? Like the other poster said; it depends on the person carrying the gun, the holster, the loction of carry, the clothing, etc...

For me, since I no longer carry a BUG; the LCR has been shifted to my "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. Lately, I have been thinking of selling/trading my LCR and going with one of the ultra-compact 9mm that are now on the market. (We will see about that though.)

In fact, I'm going to shoot a friend's S&W Shield in a few hours to see how that runs.

Good luck with your choice.

Oh, I did order the compact grips for the LCR from Ruger, it does help in concealing the gun in a pocket; but the trade off is that it is a smaller grip to use while shooting. (Isn't that usually the case though? )
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

not my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkRQb53woM4

I have the .38 model and shoot +P rounds, I love it and carry it all the time

I had one & sold it. I did like the trigger & the gun overall, but I think that there are better options for CC. You can get many other firearms that are as easy or easier to conceal, all with an additional round or two, and have a quicker and easier reload.

If you are set on a wheel gun, I think you will love it!

(Bucks County)

I have never owned one but came very, very close to buying one before I purchased my S&W 340M&P.

The LCR has a nice price point, however the Smith was the better choice for me. Better trigger, lighter weight, easier to conceal. Fits my hand better and overall quality seems higher. Although it wasn't a major contributing factor, overall I preferred the look of the Smith as well.

I have heard reports (on the interwebs...not saying I have definitive proof) that the aluminum-framed .38 LCR had measurable frame stretch after a significant amount of rounds were fired through it. Note that everything was still within the allowable specs and the gun still functioned fine, and this test was probably beyond the round count most CC'ers would put through this gun. That being said, it was another point that pushed me towards the stainless .357 LCR when I was shopping.

The 340PD and 340M&P are very similar, both scandium-aluminum alloy framed .357 Mag 5 round revolvers. The primary difference is the cylinder, which is titanium in the PD and a black-finished stainless on the M&P. The PD runs about $100 more, however it is the lightest .357 mag on the market with the M&P coming in ~1oz more. Note that the PD cannot be used with 124 grain or less .357 loads, as it will cause the other rounds in the cylinder to become unseated. The M&P has a factory installed night sight and u-notch rear sight which is an improvement over the PD's standard ramp sight, however on both the front sight is pinned so it would be a simple swap. The M&P is also available with an exposed hammer, however I opted for the internal hammer. Overall the M&P seemed less "finicky" to me (not sure about cleaner/solvent compatibility with titanium, plus the ammo issue) and had a few extra features for $100 less, so that is what I went with.

My best advice is to check out the 340PD and 340M&P before purchasing the LCR and see what you prefer. I would carry any of them confidently, but I am VERY happy that I went with the 340M&P over the LCR.

I have the +P .38 and while it not the best to hide, it works. I've carred it in a shirt pocket without trouble, just looked like I had papers in the pocket. It has a nice trigger and shoots well.

Very easy to conceal, even in a pocket holster.