Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Tactical Shotgun Showcase - Got any? Let's see'um!

870P

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    Agreed.

How about a girl in a Zebra halloween costume
    Hahaha Awesome!
    Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired), NRA LE Firearms Instructor

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    870P

Nice 870P AND K-Bar, Dave!

870 Express with an 870P barrel. Old school SureFire fore end, Speedfeed short pistol grip stock, Remington tube extension. I have since added a Mesa side saddle, single point sling attachment and sling.
    Jules

(Luzerne County)

Looks like it will get the job done, Jules!

Mossy 930 SPX

Not the best pic but you get the idea. Still a little unsure bout its trustworthiness... The safety got stuck in the ON position on its 2nd or 3rd trip out. Now, if it was in the OFF position (still not good) at least I wouldnt have a club in my hands during a bump in the night. From looking into it this is very common with the Mossy shotgun lines and kinda seems to be the fault of the shitty plastic safety they use and the ballbearing which locks into the detent spring (???) moving around underneath the safety itself. And they can get stuck in either position, ON or OFF. Most people say the METAL, aftermarket safeties cure this issue. Gotta pick one up I guess.

Had some ejection issues with lighter stuff too in the beginning. That seems to have sorted itself out now for the most part.

Also had some empty hulls get stuck in the chamber. This I blame on the cheap ass Winchester ammo ($5-6/box) I was using at the time. Its not even low-brass, its the aluminum stuff. This is also a known problem with this ammo in numerous shotguns. So,I'm not really faulting the 930 here, just mentioning it.

At this point, this still gets nightstand duty

(Luzerne County)

brownman: That's a nice combination and it demonstrates your superior wisdom in weapon selection! My primary handgun and EDC pistol is a P30LS V1 in .40 S&W.

Regarding the issues you've had with your 930 SPX, I haven't experienced any of them. Actually, this is the first I've heard of the problem you had with your safety, but now that I know about it now, I'm going to replace mine with an aftermarket metal one. Did you ever determine the cause of the problem? Is it possible the retaining screw was tightened too tightly?

As far as reliability is concerned, I've had no issues whatsoever with mine and it functions with anything I load in it including the cheap aluminum base Federal and Winchester stuff they sell at Walmart. Now mine has a lot shells through it and I'm sure this helps. Also, I put a ton of full-power defensive shells through it early on, so it was already well worn-in before I tried any light loads.

About the empty hulls in the chamber (failing to eject), the most common cause I see for this is when the gun wasn't being firmly supported against the shoulder. More common in inertia (recoil)-operated guns, it can occur in gas guns, as well. In fact, I can induce this malfunction in my own 930 if I hold it loose enough. I'm not saying this is the reason for the problems you experienced, but, if it continues, I would test to see if maintaining good support for your gun's buttstock doesn't help.

Here's my P30LS.
    Last edited by XTrooper; November 4th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

(Luzerne County)

Nice, Rudy!

You've answered that age-old question of "What's better than one Mossberg tactical shotgun?!" Two of them!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Regarding the issues you've had with your 930 SPX, I haven't experienced any of them. Actually, this is the first I've heard of the problem you had with your safety, but now that I know about it now, I'm going to replace mine with an aftermarket metal one. Did you ever determine the cause of the problem? Is it possible the retaining screw was tightened too tightly?
    Nah, dont think it was too tight. In the image below you can see the parts that make up the Mossberg safety. That ball has a tendency to move around sometimes on models with a plastic safety button (all except the 590A1) and the design is the same across the board for Mossberg shotguns so it plagues all of them.

Follow this link for a good read on Mossberg safety replacement.
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=149360

I havent given up on it yet. Like I said, the ejection issues are def. getting better with more rounds through it. Its a brand new Gen3 purchased in June of 2012. Only around 300rds with a mix of light and heavy stuff through it too so, it could use a little more break in.

Something I forgot to mention in my other post was, sometimes I cant get 7 in the tube. "They" say they often ship with mag tube springs that are too long. Either cutting your OE spring or just ordering a shorter aftermarket one will solve this.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Here's my P30LS.
    Very nice, mines a v2 9mm, love that damn thing. Never leave home without it

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast