Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default LTCF application question

I have to renew my license soon and there is a question that isn't making sense, but maybe it's just me being dense. For Lancaster County there is a second form, and on there is a line that states "Print legibly or type your current police agency".

Are they asking for what police department covers where I live? The one I'm applying to (Lancaster obviously)? I don't recall this question when I first applied, but that was five years ago so it's certainly possible that I've forgotten about it. If anyone knows I'd appreciate some help.

Default Re: LTCF application question

Sheriffs are not allowed, by law, to use more than a one-page form, the standard LTCF application.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

<SNIP>

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.

That said, some communities have their own police force, others use PA State Police. So it seems like that's what they want to know.

(Indiana County)

If the County Sheriff needs help figuring out what police department, if any, covers the area where you reside, then they have problems indeed.

State law states a one-page application, nothing more.

(Lancaster County)

They are asking for the police department that covers where you live. (If you live in Ephrata, it's Ephrata Police Department. If you live in Manheim Township, it's Manheim Township Polce Department.)

I remember filling out that same form when I got my first LTCF about 6 years ago, I also had to fill out the form when I got my current LTCF in January.

Attached is the form in question.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotek85 View Post
    Are they asking for what police department covers where I live?
    ^^^This^^^

East Cocalico
    Last edited by fttfbass; November 2nd, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Number of pages aside, they are asking the police department where you live. Cumberland County provides a second page of instructions and one of the details includes having the applicant hand print the name of the township where they reside.

They ask this in case they want to call the township/city/municipality where you reside and gain additional details for the background check. In some cases the applicants address does NOT answer the question of residency. As an example I have close neighbors whose mailing address is Mechanicsburg, they are covered by Hampden Twp Police, but they live in the geographic limits of Enola.... WTF?

I am not debating the legalities of a second application page... I get that part. Just adding what I have been told about the jurisdiction questions. The additional details save the researcher time looking at maps, studying boundary lines, etc.. trying to determine who covers the area. If adding "Hampden Twp" in the top margin saves a few hours and gets me my LTCF a day sooner, I'm happy to share the data. It's nothing they won't figure out.

Township lines are no longer easily defined. At one time you could easily see and/or guess where one jurisdiction began and the other ended. Now growth and construction booms have blurred the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    If the County Sheriff needs help figuring out what police department, if any, covers the area where you reside, then they have problems indeed.

State law states a one-page application, nothing more.
    After living in my area 23+ years I have found intersections and housing developments where 3 and 4 jurisdictions meet. Expecting our sheriff's departments to know every jurisdictional boundary is asking a lot. Keep in mind, the office of the sheriff in PA is primarily glorified security guards for the county courts. They do not perform any kind of patrol operations where they would learn which side of my street is the 17050 zip code and which side is 17055. Hell, I've watched my fire department get lost in my development and they are less than 1/10 of a mile away directly across from the main entrance!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Sheriffs are not allowed, by law, to use more than a one-page form, the standard LTCF application.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

<SNIP>

(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.

That said, some communities have their own police force, others use PA State Police. So it seems like that's what they want to know.

I understand this, and agree it should be like this. BUT...

I know I'll probably get flamed pretty bad, but I don't care - this is how I feel:

This is a matter of "pick your battles". Lancaster County makes it sooooo easy to get your LTCF. If all they want me to do is fill out another piece of paper that takes less than 2 minutes and costs me nothing, then I have no problem doing it. There are so many other problems with the LTCF application process in other counties that should be focused on getting corrected.

This little extra piece of paper is not a big deal!

Too much free time on my hands this morning so I went to the Lancaster County Sheriff's website and looked at the application...

Playing devil's advocate here is what they would probably say if challenged on the two page application. The application page is only one page as dictated by PA code. The second page is clearly lebeled "INSTRUCTIONS FOR FIREARMS PERMIT APPLICANTS". The instruction page does have required entries and must be signed.

I'm no lawyer so I don't know how a court would interpret this but the question comes down to this - Is the second page part of the application or is it a stand alone document?

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3030 View Post
    This is a matter of "pick your battles". Lancaster County makes it sooooo easy to get your LTCF. If all they want me to do is fill out another piece of paper that takes less than 2 minutes and costs me nothing, then I have no problem doing it. There are so many other problems with the LTCF application process in other counties that should be focused on getting corrected.

This little extra piece of paper is not a big deal!

I agree, that in this instance its better to play their game. Refusing to fill out that extra form will probably result in receiving your LTCF in 45 days instead of in and out within 20 minutes, with your LTCF in your wallet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast