Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taurus TCP pistol

Hey my dad and I are looking at these pistols. Was just wondering how they compare to the Ruger LCP or other popular pocket pistols.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Taurus TCP pistol

I think you are about to get a slew of mixed answers. I've seen a fair amount of complaints with the TCP and failure to feed issues. I've also seen a fair amount of people respond they have a TCP "with no issues after hundreds of rounds". I personally wouldn't purchase one since they seem to be hit or miss, and the Taurus customer service sucks. I think there are better choices for the money.

Personally, I would buy an LCP, Bersa, Kahr, or S&W before the Taurus.

(Lycoming County)

I like them especially at their price point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    Hey my dad and I are looking at these pistols. Was just wondering how they compare to the Ruger LCP or other popular pocket pistols.
    not a bad gun, i have both the 738 TCP and the LCP.. i like the tcp a bit more because of the price. both shoot without much problems. taurus customer service aren't bad. had to call them a month ago because my captive firing pin assembly on my pt140 snapped, while i had them on the phone i wanted to buy an extra recoil spring for my pt140 and the rep said she would put it as a replacement for a bad spring so i don't get charge for it. i would go with either one they r both good pocket pistols tcp $230 vs lcp $310 at cabelas

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by rockstrongo View Post
    I think you are about to get a slew of mixed answers. I've seen a fair amount of complaints with the TCP and failure to feed issues. I've also seen a fair amount of people respond they have a TCP "with no issues after hundreds of rounds". I personally wouldn't purchase one since they seem to be hit or miss, and the Taurus customer service sucks. I think there are better choices for the money.

Personally, I would buy an LCP, Bersa, Kahr, or S&W before the Taurus.
    That is about what I expected. I know the general opinion of taurus. I was just kind of hoping to hear both good and bad about them from people who have used them.

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    I like them especially at their price point.
    This is the biggest reason I dont just say screw it and just buy the LCP. For 100 bucks cheaper that is ammo and a holster.

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusPT140 View Post
    not a bad gun, i have both the 738 TCP and the LCP.. i like the tcp a bit more because of the price. both shoot without much problems. taurus customer service aren't bad. had to call them a month ago because my captive firing pin assembly on my pt140 snapped, while i had them on the phone i wanted to buy an extra recoil spring for my pt140 and the rep said she would put it as a replacement for a bad spring so i don't get charge for it. i would go with either one they r both good pocket pistols tcp $230 vs lcp $310 at cabelas

good luck
    Thanks man for your opinion and hope to get more like yours.

I cross shopped against lcp back when prices almost identical. Liked overalll feel and sites. Sig was out as i wanted double action. Mine had a few failures to eject during first 200 rounds (maybe 3). Flawless after that. 100%. Would never worry about it working and trust with my life. do run hornady critical defense as I think it feeds well on steep ramps of such small gun, but cheap range ammo also feeds fine. Sights significantly better than lcp, and enjoyable to shoot for such a small gun. Pretty good accuracy at realistic distances. Carries anywhere in a decent pocket holster. Easy to strip and clean. No holster wear after constant carry. Light.

Con: stupid fake cellphone holster it comes with.

I get lazy about carrying bigger guns in hot weather because of this option, BUT there's no place you can't take it. Overall I carry more so I see as net gain. (I'm not an OCer as I like to live normal social life, not get ejected from malls and non-waffle house/apple bees/etc restaurants, etc.)

(Northampton County)

Love mine. Only issue ever was with Herters steel cased ammo(but hey Herters sucks anyways). All quality ammo has had not a single malfunction in over 700 rounds.

The feed ramp is steep. I haven't tried HydraShok or other flat profile ammo yet. Rounded profile ammo such as Critical Defense or Corbon DPX run great.

Get one with letter C in the serial number. They have ZERO issues but the first 2 runs did.
    Mine is has a B but I imagine it was a later one closer to C production when they were starting to make the changes that fixed the extraction issues.

Nicer trigger than competitors, slide locks back on empty, looks nicer too.
    They are made in FL rather than Brazil if that means anything to you.

I have recently seen them as low as $195 in blued slide with one mag on grabagun.com.

Thanks for the info guys, Thinking that this may be the route I take.

(Monroe County)

I did a write up a bit ago about my TCP including the FTF's, FTE's and the brands of ammo I was using. I heard and read all the trash talk about the TCP, but when your wife gives you one, you take an objective look at something that may save your life. The gun really didn't come into it's own until about 300 rounds, with the last 300 being mostly handloads. And once I got that down, no failures and these are some 'snappy' reloads too.

What I like: biggest finger guard of the pocket pistols. Small, light and easy to conceal. The slot in the back of the slide I have mixed feeling about. It really doesn't collect much gunk (pocket lint) and it can be used to reset the stryker if the need arises. Plus the lock open on empty mag and it's not a blowback design are pluses.

Sights are adaquate for the intended use which is point and shoot. I have a B series and the new mags. fit and function without any problems.

What I DON'T like is that small black take down pin. I advise anyone to NOT take down the pistol in the field unless you have a towel or rag under the gun in case you drop that pin. You'll never find it otherwise.

If you can shoot one with a few hundred rounds through it, do it. I'm happy with mine and I think you'ld be too.

FYI: A 50 round box of ammo fits the 'cell phone' carrying box nicely. That's what I use mine for.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Allegheny County)

Mine broke in <100 rounds. Swapped it for an LCP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast