Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default More handguns or More ammo?

As I grow as a gun nut i want more guns in different calibers. But my wife pointed out that if i had one rife and bought all my handguns in the same caliber that i would not have to spend so much on ammo and i would have more because i would only have to buy one caliber

So what do you think one caliber so you have more ammo or different guns with different calibers with less ammo?

Default Re: More handguns or More ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by joecooltech View Post
    As I grow as a gun nut i want more guns in different calibers. But my wife pointed out that if i had one rife and bought all my handguns in the same caliber that i would not have to spend so much on ammo and i would have more because i would only have to buy one caliber

So what do you think one caliber so you have more ammo or different guns with different calibers with less ammo?
    I've gone with the one caliber theory. Less money, easier to build a supply. I also think about shtf scenarios and like the idea of consolidation.

That being said I do get the itch for other calibers.

(Washington County)

Hey joe cool, I live pretty close to you.

There are a few ways to tackle this.

If you got the coin, feel free to buy all the guns in any caliber you want and get lots of ammo for all of them.

If not, you can stick with one caliber and buy different firearms that use that caliber.

You can also maintain your standardized caliber and stockpile of ammo for that caliber, yet diversify into other other calipers as money allows and stockpile smaller amounts of ammo for the firearms. That is kind of the model io use. You have a main long gun and a main handgun and then the extra toys come as the money allows. I have way more firearms than I can carry and use by myself, so having a few hundred rounds for those secondary calibers is where I leave things.

Honestly, if the shtf, then you're going to be grabbing one long gun and one sidearm probably, or risk blowing your spine out humping your gun collection through the war zone formerly known as monongahela.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Ask your wife if she could save money by having one pair of shoes?

You won't necessarily save money by standardizing on one caliber. What's more important is the cost of the calibers you choose. 9mm is a lot cheaper than 45 ACP, so it would be cheaper to have a 9mm and a 45 ACP instead of having two 45 ACP's.

And no matter what caliber(s) you have, you can save more money by buying a .22 LR pistol for cheap practice.

I have mutiple calibers I only stock up on the ammo I shoot alot, 9mm 7.62 and 223 the others I might keep a box or two. I dont see the need to stockpile for every caliber, and every gun doesnt need to have a practical or tactical use most of us will only use them for fun anyway.

(Westmoreland County)

I like to have a big supply of ammo per gun. I won't pass up the next must have on my short list, but I'm going to make sure I have a lot of ammo for that last new handgun before I buy yet another new one.

So I guess to answer the OP's question... IMO, consolidating calibers is a good idea if money is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by joecooltech View Post

456- Make a lot of sense Mastering one type of pistol and rifle leave more room for ammo you have a very smart wife.

Unfortanly thats not how I did things buying mulitple caliber types rifles and pistols. Having feed them all is a burden even as a reloader. And though I have my favorites I've become a jack of all trade and master of none.

somethimg to think about.

(Northampton County)

I am a handgunner have close to 40 pistols in my collection again in 9mm , and 45acp -majority of the pistols but I have 357 mag,38 special, 9mm markarov, 32acp ,357 sig and 40 cal pistols -rifles are in 30 carbine , 5.56 mm ,7.62x39mm ,7.62x54 russian, 308 and 30 06. Yes this does get to be way to many types of ammo. I am in the process of narrowing my rifle collection to just three. Pistol ammo well I have gone off the deep end, but As long as I can afford it I am staying there. If I was forced to choose three I would convert my glocks to 9mm or 357 sig and just keep 9mm ,357 sig and 45 acp that should keep me happy. Rifles if I had to choose 1 I think that would have to be AR platform in 6.5 Grendel that should cover short and long range. If price of ammo was a factor it would be 7.62x 39 mm again in a AR platform like the Rock Island that use ak mags-just waiting for there piston drive model to come out for that caliber.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Allegheny County)

What about training on how to use it? All the guns and ammo in the world are useless if all you are doing is making dust clouds and noise.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I am doing a combination of both. I have 26 different calibers but only stock up about a dozen. For the rest I keep a few boxes handy but nothing more. There are some such as 7.62x38, .32 Win Spcl, 32-20, etc... that I only shoot occassionally so there is no need to buy in bulk.

If I truly wanted to maximize the same caliber concept I would also consider combinations that use the same mags. Example - Ruger 9mm Camp Carbine and S&W Model 59 use the same mag.

In my case, I find myself in enough unique shooting situations (long range groundhog vs deer hunting in thick cover, .22 indoor competition vs Hi Power Match, concealed carry handgun vs deer hunting with handgun, etc... that one or two calibers don't fill my desires.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast