Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 926 38S&W

(Northumberland County)

Default H&R 926 38S&W

Just looking for general information on the H&R model 926 and 38 S&W cartridge if anyone knows anything about them. Years manufactured, value, accuracy, durability, reliability, etc. for the gun. Power, cost, and availability for the cartridge. I stumbled across one at the LGS today for $150 in what I'd say is 95%+ condition, so now I'm trying to rationalize buying (or avoiding) it. I know a little about H&R .22 revolvers, but the 926 and 38S&W are both new to me.
    Thanx

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&R 926 38S&W

The 926 is based on the same pattern as the 925, 935, 999, etc. Although the 925 has a birds head type grip, where as the 926 has a more conventional grip.

To find out your year of manufacture I need the serial number. Mostly the first few digits that include the letter(s). That letter is for the year.

Accuracy - that is always as relative as space-time. That series though does have a pretty good reputation for accuracy. The 999(22 rimfire) is renown for it's accuracy. You will have to find a load for it like most other guns.

Durability - it is a breaktop, so it isn't as strong as a solid frame gun. You wont be able to hotrod it. But, you can get better than 380acp power levels out of it.

$150 is probably a good deal on a 95% gun. I see 97% to 99% 925's going for $299 to $400 at online auctions.

The .38S&W doesn't use the same bullets as the typical .38spl/.357 mag - they are larger in diameter at .361". Also, finding bullet molds is nearly impossible for that diameter. From what I've read, H&R used a slightly smaller bore and folks are getting decent results from .358-.359" bullets.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

I forgot..

One drawback is - the rear sight blade has a tendency to come loose and fall out. Getting replacements is a turd. But they are relatively easy to make.

If I had the coin to spare I'd buy that gun ASAP. ...but that just me personally, I like H&R's.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Northumberland County)

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to have to think about it. I planned on saving up for a Ruger SP101 or S&W snubbie in a few years, but this might let me fill my revolver niche a little bit sooner until I can get one of those.

As far as ammo goes, do you know if there are any brands or types to stay away from for this gun (i.e. too powerful)? I don't reload, so it would all be factory. Are all/most loads above the power of a 380 auto?

(Jefferson County)

Most commercial loads are right at .380acp energy levels. However, the .38s&w shoots a much heavier bullet, 140 to 200 grains. It'll have a bit more momentum than the lighter .380acp bullet even though the .38s&w bullet does about 2/3's the .380's velocity.

To get higher energy levels you'll have to reload. The ammo that is available is at standard specs because of the older/weaker guns it will be used in. As for manufacturers - they are pretty much all the same.

I personally would pick a 200gr cartridge. They did pretty well in the British Webley revolvers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38-200

(Cumberland County)

I love H&R's - I own several. If you want it just for the neat factor, go for it. 38 S&W is fairly expensive and not available everwhere. I really enjoy mine, and for $150 in 95% condition it's a good deal. A fun / neat gun for sure. Good info by Knight - Hopefully 32Magnum will chime in - he eats, sleeps and breathes H&R's

(York County)

See my and 32 magnums (he is a big H&R enthusiast and real nice guy too) posts here about my G-pa's H&R 926 and a small issue I found with it, easy fix.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/15...ml#post1829090

BTW a guy told that ammo was available at his walmart...surprised me it was available there.

(Elk County)

The thread needs photos; here's my 925 with the birdshead grip:

I'll second what Knight said about the rear sight leaf, make sure the push-pull screws on either side of the rear sight leaf are snugged. When I bought the gun the screws were loose and the sight leaf was shifting back and forth, and was canted to the right. I centered the rear sight before shooting it, and POI was spot on with POA using W-W factory 38 S&W ammo with the copper-plated Lubaloy bullet.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I love H&R's - I own several. If you want it just for the neat factor, go for it. 38 S&W is fairly expensive and not available everwhere. I really enjoy mine, and for $150 in 95% condition it's a good deal. A fun / neat gun for sure. Good info by Knight - Hopefully 32Magnum will chime in - he eats, sleeps and breathes H&R's
    Cruzans,

32 Magnum passed away a couple weeks ago.

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/19...cartridge.html

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Cruzans,

32 Magnum passed away a couple weeks ago.

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/19...cartridge.html
    I am very sorry to hear this... Thanks for letting us know knight0334.

32 Magnum was a very knowledgeable source for H&R info and I had a very nice online exchange with him concerning my G-pa's 926. He will be missed.

Here is a pic of my 926.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast