Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Deciding on a range membership near Allentown

Quote Originally Posted by yeager484 View Post
    I'm hoping the governor doesn't take too long after the storm to end the state of emergency.

I'll get my wife acquainted with how the glock works since I don't do my own reloading it'll be a good use of all the indoor time during Frankenstorm
    It is highly likely that you can apply for and receive your LTCF from Sheriff Rossi faster than Corbett will end the state of emergency. The last one dragged on for months.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    It is highly likely that you can apply for and receive your LTCF from Sheriff Rossi faster than Corbett will end the state of emergency. The last one dragged on for months.
    That's what I'm worried about.

My dad has his LCTF, I'll probably end up having him cart me around and shoot his baby glock if I start getting the bug.

(Lehigh County)

Are people at most ranges generally okay with moving up on the targets?

I'd rather not be "that guy"..

Are people at most ranges generally okay with moving up on the targets?

I'd rather not be "that guy"..
    The rule for most ranges is the first person on a range gets to call the distance. He (or she) is also the range safety officer, trained or not. That means that unofficially, the first person on the range is responsible for what others are doing. If you are there first and are shooting at 7 yds, everyone else who shows up either shoots at 7 yds or they wait until you are done. It is that simple.

I am a member at Guthsville too. I usually shoot there during the day during the week because there are fewer people there, and since I work for myself, I can plan for that. If someone else is on a range before I get there, I will shoot at whatever range they are shooting, or I will pick a different range. Usually it is not an issue.

(Lehigh County)

Good to know.

I saw the first person there is range safety officer but wasn't sure what that entailed. Thanks

Good to know.

I saw the first person there is range safety officer but wasn't sure what that entailed. Thanks

Part of that entails making sure the morons on the range have their guns properly cleared and are not fiddling around with them while other people are down range. It also means making sure the aforementioned morons are also not pointing their guns across the firing line, etc. I had to almost threaten one guy with bodily harm because he kept pointing his revolver across the firing line and directly at my daughter and myself.

It also means pointing out politely when people are violating club rules. Last time I was there I had to inform some IDPA guy that he was shooting in the wrong place. He didn't want to have to look for his brass, so he moved the targets instead of the firing line. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize that moving the targets away from the berm means a much greater chance of rounds leaving the range and the range being closed down for good. The worst part was, this idiot had "Safety Officer" emblazoned on his vest in big orange letters.

(Bucks County)

I was a member of Guthsville a few yrs ago. It was about 20 miles from my house, but I liked the layout. When range was empty, it was fine. Problem was, there was ALWAYS something going on there, and at the time, no notification of such events until I drove the 20 miles. So, I let the membership expire.
    I am a current member of Ridge & Valley. Very nice layout, good ppl and only 5 miles from my house. They accept members monthly, and the cost is very reasonable. I've never been harassed for rapid fire like I was when a member at Springfield Gun Club when it was totally empty except for me. Many AR and AK shooters there, so no funny looks when those guns come out of the cases. Most days during the week you have it all to yourself. Every few weeks the local PD's mooch an entire section for themselves and it is closed to them only. This annoys me as most times I am there they aren't even shooting, just bs'n.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Part of that entails making sure the morons on the range have their guns properly cleared and are not fiddling around with them while other people are down range. It also means making sure the aforementioned morons are also not pointing their guns across the firing line, etc. I had to almost threaten one guy with bodily harm because he kept pointing his revolver across the firing line and directly at my daughter and myself.

It also means pointing out politely when people are violating club rules. Last time I was there I had to inform some IDPA guy that he was shooting in the wrong place. He didn't want to have to look for his brass, so he moved the targets instead of the firing line. That doesn't sound so bad until you realize that moving the targets away from the berm means a much greater chance of rounds leaving the range and the range being closed down for good. The worst part was, this idiot had "Safety Officer" emblazoned on his vest in big orange letters.
    Good thing I'm chock full of common sense!

(Northampton County)

+1 for Guthsville.

Someone mentioned its $5 for guests -- that was recently changed to $10 (still $5 for family).

If you would like to go, im more than willing to make a trip with you too ... we could probably setup a day for several of us to go

(Lehigh County)

That sounds good, I'd like to get out and try Guths sometime.

As soon as I gt the LCTF or the SOE is lifted.

You have to supply your own paper targets I assume?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast