Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tack Driver

(Montgomery County)

Default Tack Driver

I purchased this Les Baer used off of Gunbroker this week. I went to the range with it last night and it ran perfectly. No failures of any kind. The barrel is "hard" fit to the slide. There is no play in the bushing or the barrel hood/slide fit. I can't figure out why the .38 super cartridge is not more popular. It packs a real punch and feeds beautifully in the 1911 platform. This one is a keeper and is headed to the Springfield Custom shop for some tweaks, sights and Black-T goodness. Here are the pix. She's a keeper!

Default Re: Tack Driver

Congrats on the Baer. I am ordering one in a few weeks!
    Jules

(Northampton County)

Talking Re: Tack Driver

Very very nice. I'd love a 1911 in 38 super and that Baer just made it worse.

Beautiful!

(Monroe County)

THats a beautiful Gun, i like the low profile , laid back business like look of it, i can tell that gun has character just by looking at it.

If you want some carry ammo for it, WEaver's Gun shop up in Broadheadsville up here has a couple boxes of Winchester supreme 125 grain Silvertips on the shelf, if you want to take the ride up here.
    I love the Super, looking for a Taurus 2 tone in .38 super myself.

Enjoy.

(Franklin County)

Why the .38 Super is not more popular is a mystery to me also. Only thing I can think is its mostly produced in a 1911, and for essentially the same size and weight, might as well have a .45.

Of course, ammo is hard to find, but increased popularity would solve that problem.

I have a basic RIA in 38 Super, bought it to try out. Fun range gun... but that's all I use it for. I would like to the caliber in a different platform, but appears manufacturers don't think it would sell.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Posit View Post
    Why the .38 Super is not more popular is a mystery to me also. Only thing I can think is its mostly produced in a 1911, and for essentially the same size and weight, might as well have a .45.

Of course, ammo is hard to find, but increased popularity would solve that problem.

I have a basic RIA in 38 Super, bought it to try out. Fun range gun... but that's all I use it for. I would like to the caliber in a different platform, but appears manufacturers don't think it would sell.
    The super is pretty popular in USPSA. My girlfriend's SVI is chambered in 38 super comp. Alot of guys use it because of the extra case capacity over 9mm. The extra capacity allows for extra powder, meaning more gas, and the ability to use more popple holes in the barrel to keep the gun shooting flat. We stuff enough auto comp in those cases that i'd venture to say it would suck to pick one up and throw it in a regular 1911.

The only downside i have found is expensive brass. That and there are about 10 different kinds of super brass, and they all have different case dimensions.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

What sights are you putting on it? Also, what parts are getting blackened, or did I misunderstand that part. I guess I ask because with what I do, that gun would fit into my stable all safe and sound with nothing more than a hoodie.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    What sights are you putting on it? Also, what parts are getting blackened, or did I misunderstand that part. I guess I ask because with what I do, that gun would fit into my stable all safe and sound with nothing more than a hoodie.
    Yes, I really like the way she looks right now too but here are the plans:

I like the new 10-8 performance modular rear sight which has a .140 u-notch. It is designed to replace adjustable sights with a fixed sight. I also want a gold bead for the front post.

I am a lefty and I put one of the Wilson bullet proof ambis on all my pistols, I also have a spare Wilson BP extractor an slide stop. I am going to have them fitted as spares........I always like to have spares........both slide stops will be nubbed FBI style because I tend to hit the slide stop nubs with my right thumb (left handed).

Lastly, this is going to be carried a lot on my person and in the car. As such, I want a coat of Black-T on the entire pistol. Barrel, trigger, hammer, everything. Gonna be blacked out.

Being left handed does tend to complicate my addiction to 1911s.

(Lycoming County)

Very nice, wish i could afford one .

(Chester County)

One of the reasons the 38 Super really never took of in the world of Bullseye shooting is that the .45 makes a bigger hole. Seriously. The bigger the hole the better the chances of a close shot breaking the line, and if you can shoot the identical gun (1911) you would choose the bigger bullet. The price of ammo also plays a factor as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast