Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default First Time Trapper Here

Well I've been cutting wood the last month or so and I had found an old victor #2 foothold fox trap tied to one of the trees I cut up. I thought it was neat, I've never messed with one before. So I took it home, cleaned it up a little (it was rusted pretty bad) and tried it out. Trap worked good still and got me interested so I decided to do a little research. I watched a few videos and read a few articles which turned into watching a few MORE videos and reading more and now I'm full blown ADDICTED. Now that I've caught this new bug for trapping it was naturally time to take it to the next step. Yesterday I went out and bought a dozen Duke #2's and my fur takers license and now its time to get my feet wet. I live on about 2 square miles of farmland and have seen coyote and fox. The trapping season started on my birthday, the 21st, and once my traps are prepped I'm out to the fields to set my traps.

Any tips or advise from PAFOA trappers?

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

Default Re: First Time Trapper Here

That sounds like a good time. Keep up posted with your first trapping. I ran into a guy that buys pelts. If your interested I can get you his contact info.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjack View Post
    That sounds like a good time. Keep up posted with your first trapping. I ran into a guy that buys pelts. If your interested I can get you his contact info.
    Sure will. The plan is to get my first coyote and first fox mounted. That's if I get any.
    I got my son his mentored youth license so he can go trapping with me too. He's five and loves guns and hunting so this year i felt it was time for him to get some experience in the field.

As far as pelts go, in my RARE appearances to Millers Gun Shop here in Mill Hall to find coyote scent that I couldn't get anywhere else, they have a few leads on fur buyers as well.
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

If you’re planning on using the #2 Victor, cut off the ring on the end of the chain – the rings are worthless.

I assume when you were boiling your traps, it was to get rid of the oil? Now you will need to get a nice rust coat on those new traps and then dye them.

Waxing them is a personal preference. Some guys wax, others do not. I never liked wax.

I also would recommend a mid-chain swivel on all of your traps.

Good luck on your new adventure.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    If you’re planning on using the #2 Victor, cut off the ring on the end of the chain – the rings are worthless.

I assume when you were boiling your traps, it was to get rid of the oil? Now you will need to get a nice rust coat on those new traps and then dye them.

Waxing them is a personal preference. Some guys wax, others do not. I never liked wax.

I also would recommend a mid-chain swivel on all of your traps.

Good luck on your new adventure.
    Yea I boiled my traps 6 at a time for about 45 minutes each to clean the traps. I assume most people do this from what I've found so I gave it a try. The traps were pretty clean out of the box but I did get a light film of oil in the top of my water when it was done. They aren't as shiny as they were now too. I figured I'd wax mine if the traps gave me trouble during the colder months, other than that I haven't really decided whether I'm dying them or not yet. What are the advantages to dying when I'm just going to bury them anyway?
    μολ ν λαβέ

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Dying protects them from further rusting and prolongs the life of the traps. Also, rust has an odor and may cause a canine to become suspicious of the buried trap.

If you decide to wax, make sure you clean all the wax off of the tip of the dog as well as the pan notch or you will have difficulty setting them and/or keeping them set.

Another simple cheap gadget you may want to pick up, is a “trappers cap”. They only cost a few bucks but make setting the traps much more faster and efficient. When using the cap, you can really get the dirt packed solid over the jaws without accidentally hitting the pan and having the trap fire, and then needing to start all over again.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    Dying protects them from further rusting and prolongs the life of the traps. Also, rust has an odor and may cause a canine to become suspicious of the buried trap.

If you decide to wax, make sure you clean all the wax off of the tip of the dog as well as the pan notch or you will have difficulty setting them and/or keeping them set.

Another simple cheap gadget you may want to pick up, is a “trappers cap”. They only cost a few bucks but make setting the traps much more faster and efficient. When using the cap, you can really get the dirt packed solid over the jaws without accidentally hitting the pan and having the trap fire, and then needing to start all over again.
    I've heard people talk about using walnuts for dying traps. I have a walnut tree in my back yard. What the best technique for dying after they rust a bit?

As far as a pan cap, I plan on taking an old measuring cup, cutting a notch out to fit down over the dogs and bend the handle so I can lift it off when set. Might see what kind of cool gadgets I can find at the local trapping supplier first though.
    μολ ν λαβέ

(Carbon County)

I used to use Walnut shells. Wear gloves because the stain will stay on your hands a long time. If you can get dry dirt, sift out the stones and save a barrel full. Once the ground freezes it is a whole new ball game. I used to cut "Pan covers" out of fiberglass screen. Cut to the size of the inside of an open trap and then cut a notch for the pan trigger.This keeps dirt out from under the pan. If you have coyotes in the area, USE LONG ENOUGH STAKES or double stake. Rebar is good. Stay away from smooth stakes. I have had deer step in #1 3/4 traps with #2 springs and still had the trap after they left. (Usually bent up, but at least they were not running around with it.) There is a lot more to mention but the fun is in the learning. Good luck and don't give up if you catch only possem and coon in the beginning. You have to clean them out of an area first.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I used to use Walnut shells. Wear gloves because the stain will stay on your hands a long time. If you can get dry dirt, sift out the stones and save a barrel full. Once the ground freezes it is a whole new ball game. I used to cut "Pan covers" out of fiberglass screen. Cut to the size of the inside of an open trap and then cut a notch for the pan trigger.This keeps dirt out from under the pan. If you have coyotes in the area, USE LONG ENOUGH STAKES or double stake. Rebar is good. Stay away from smooth stakes. I have had deer step in #1 3/4 traps with #2 springs and still had the trap after they left. (Usually bent up, but at least they were not running around with it.) There is a lot more to mention but the fun is in the learning. Good luck and don't give up if you catch only possem and coon in the beginning. You have to clean them out of an area first.
    Just started soaking a bucket full of walnuts.

I got these cable stakes, they're about a foot and a half long with an anchor on one end and a loop on the other. Guy from the gun shop I frequent swore by em. Said the only way to get em back out is using a pickaxe. Hopefully he's right. If not I will double anchor or get some cable from Lowes and make some tree ties.

I like the idea of saving some panned dirt. I'm working on getting a trapping kit together to take out with me too.

Copy on the patience thing. If I only catch coon for a while I'll still be happy. Heard coon ain't too bad slow roasted or BBQ'd either, then you figure the fur too.
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; October 26th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
    μολ ν λαβέ

(Clinton County)

I stopped out at a local Amish butcher shop here in Mackeyville and they were nice enough to give me a half barrel full of processing scraps and bones that smelled reeeeaaal good. I've been watching my fields the last few weeks and have noticed where the patterns of movement have been. I went out and placed a few bait holes near where I want to start trapping and where they're moving to get them coming around more and get their confidence up. Well that's my theory anyway. I'll get some more bait to put out with my traps then plus use my coyote scent. Did all this around noon.

Meanwhile, my dye is good and dark already, I used an ice chipper to crush up the walnuts that were mostly already broken up and rotten. Strained out the water into another bucket and put more water over the walnuts. Now I have a bunch of dye made up and I'm dying my traps 6 at a time for an hour. After my first batch of traps soaked for an hour, the boy got off the bus and I decided to take him out to check the bait holes. I made 4 different holes and after checking the first three, which were untouched, him and i approached the fourth. Wouldn't you know it as we got closer a big grey animal took off across the field and into a fence row before I could get my binoculars up to get a good look at him. He sorta skipped a little as he ran and was too big to be a grey fox I think. I'm thinking its my coyote. After trying to track him or catch a glimpse of him we went to check the bait and sure enough he must've just found the bait and started chewing the bones and scraps before we spooked him off. Went back then and switched the traps out in the dye bath and hung the first six to dry. I'm kind of rushing the process a little due to excitement and with all this rain coming. I want them done and ready before this weekends storms start rolling in.

On the subject of rain, don't know if I'll be able to get my traps set till mid-late week next week. We'll see. Now, some more pics!...

Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; November 1st, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
    μολ ν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast