Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Rock island 1911 quality??

Thank you all so much for your help and imput! Hoping to buy one tomorrow. Can't wait ! Been wanting and saving for one for awhile.
    Last edited by Steven jr; October 26th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Rock island 1911 quality??

You will run the gamet of folks who like it and folks that will tell you to save up for a name recognition piece. I bought mine two years ago and after the break in it runs great, I carry it all the time and I have no worries of it not going bang when it should. I carried a Colt in my ealy years and It like the feel an look of my RIA M1911A1. Other than the Chrome barrel and it doesn't rattle and fall apart like my issue piece did when I shook it. Its great and hit what I point it at even with these worn out eyes.

(Columbia County)

Talked to a few guys that had them and they seemed very pleased with their RIA 45s I'm lookin for a 9mm GI but apparently they are very scarce in my part of pa
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Bucks County)

Quality is a subjective term. For most shooters it is more than adequate for whatever task at hand. I owned the tactical model in 45acp. Got it used and it performed flawlessly. Accurate and ate everything I fed it. Finish is so-so, but what do u expect?
    For new 1911 shooters, its hard to beat.

Does it go bang without issue, yes. Does it run crap tula ammo, yes. Are they the prettiest 1911, not really. I own three and had very nice factory triggers, no creep and all but the compact were somewhere around 4ish lbs (never actually measured). Slides are all nice and tight to the frame. The finish quality is not the greatest but it works.

Here's half a box of ammo through one of my RIA. This is from last week shooting Tula at 15 yards.

Here are two others. The punisher clone in back, I find casting flash on the interior of the frame that I cleaned up while I was shaving the frame for a extended beavertail. The frame is obviously cast steel, the slides I believe are machined steel stock (don't quote me on that though). The exterior fit/surface was fine the flashing inside didn't effect anything, it just bothered me. The shorter one is an RIA compact.

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

The bluer finish isn't the best, clean it if you sweat at all when shooting, but the gun itself always works well for me. Best entry level 1911 out there
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Erie County)

i love mine .45 no issues...goes bang and is accurate
    live to ride

I like mine. After about 1oo rounds it stopped feeding the first round in a 8 rd magazine. I found something smooth and sticky on the feed ramp after I cleaned it off the gun runs fine.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Schuylkill County)

I have the tactical model, It shoots nice. I put Rassco double diamond grips on it. I had an issue with it not feeding hollow points, I bought 2 Chip McCormic SS match mags and that fixed it. For the price you can't complain.

(Monroe County)

My RIA 1911 tactical is my EDC weapon.

It is a blast to shoot, very accurate, and great quality for the price you pay.

They are known for having issues feeding hollow points with wider mouths, but I have found that 230 grain Winchester PDX run beautifully in mine. Just try a few different types to be sure they feed reliably before settling on a personal defense round to carry.

The tactical model comes with a full length guide rod, ambidextrous extended safety, beavertail on the grip safety, skeletal hammer, and skeletal trigger. Definitely worth the extra cash over the milspec, unless you're a die-hard milspec fan.

The factory trigger is very nice; virtually no creep, and a very crisp, clean break. The reset is nice, but pretty average of 1911 pistols. The plain grips left something to be desired, so I threw a set of Pachmeyr American Legend grips on mine and it's a pretty good looking pistol. I am currently making a new set of grips though.

The tolerances are a bit tight, but not as tight as a lot of factory production 1911's on the market. I like this, as I've known 1911's with tight tolerances to be finicky.

It's no Colt or Kimber, but you really get a quality weapon for a very good price.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast