Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Kel-Tec PF-9 (What Kind of Barrel)?

If anyone that has owned or even shot a PF-9 can discuss their experiences with the weapon and indicate what was the finish of the barrel. I have a green cerakote PF-9 with a black barrel. Weapon worked fine for about 230 rounds (when the finish inside the barrel began to wear off) and then it was the infamous failure-to-extract situation. I spent some time sanding and polishing the chamber, back to the range, and 20 rounds into it, FTE again. I swapped the barrel with a highly polished P11 barrel and 130 rounds through, no FTEs. I noticed the casings fired from the original PF.9 barrel are scratched quite a bit, so I wonder if Kel-Tec's major concern for so many failure-to-extract issues with the PF-9 is because of its finish...
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec PF-9 (What Kind of Barrel)?

There is no finish other than chrome lining that will last within a barrel or chamber.

If there is some sort of finish in there, it either because they were too lazy to block the barrel at both ends when finishing it or they intentionally left it open to serve as a rust preventative before it is bought and used.

From the looks of that brass that chamber is in crappy shape. It needs polished down with a polishing compound on a bore mop that is set in a drill. A properly polished chamber will be bare metal and nearly a mirror finish.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec PF-9 (What Kind of Barrel)?

With my PF9 the FTEs I was experiencing was due to the screw that holds in the extractor backing itself out. Might want to pick up some loctite and put it on the threads of the screw and put the screw back in.