Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: reload info

Default reload info

i have a simple question i am thinking about starting to reload and in doing some research i have a old speer and a newer hornady reloading manual are the specs for the charge only good for the specific bullet type they list like speer 158 grain gdhp or can you use a 158 grain hornady with the same powder type and charge sorry if this sounds basic but i do not see it in either book any in put is welcome thanks

(Somerset County)

Default Re: reload info

Best answer is 'it depends'. Barnes and the other monometal bullets are different from lead core bullets. Don't mix the data. Also, if your load is near the top end, I wouldn't switch bullets without backing down a bit and working back up. And don't mix data for jacketed bullets with lead bullets either.

But if you are just starting with a new bullet/powder combination, then yeah, you can use the data for a hornady jacketed bullet with a speer (or other) bullet of the same weight.

Dale

If the bullet construction, style, and composition are the same you can use data from another book.

You may get minor performance result differences based on unique features of the bullet.

I have been buying bulk bullets for over 20 years from manufacturers that do not publish load books. Most of these companies have offerings the same as the major manufacturers knowing you will have to use published load book data.

Another option.... When I can't find what I need/want in my load books I have called RCBS and Horndy directly. Their techs have access to a wide variety of records and they will provide recommended loads.

Just make sure the bullet is the exact same style, composition, weight, etc...

thank you for your time and assistance all is helpful i hope to be able to pass it on one day thanks again

All cast, swaged lead and thin plated bullets use the same data. COL varies depending on the bullet ogive and bearing surface. You always start with the starting load since you do not have the same bullet lot, powder lot, primer lot, case lot, or gun used to work up the load.
    All jacketed lead-core bullets (and those very thick plated Gold Dots bullets) use the same load data--with same COL and load work up note.
    This is quite clear if one reads the manual.