Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default COs need more training

Today was my first OC experience with LE. I BLEW it!!! I know I made a few mistakes but hopefully that was only because I was caught off guard. I thought a conservation officer should be used to seeing OCers and know the law and not be oppressive but I was wrong.
    The last few weeks I have been deer hunting pretty hard with no luck but I've been seeing tons of squirrels at my stand. So today I decided to leave the bow at home and see if I could get a few tree rats. I passed a parking lot on my way to my stand and I saw a CO in the parking lot on the phone, I continued to a smaller parking area on the side of the road where I had my stand about 200 yards in but someone was already parked there. I figured they were bow hunting so being considerate I made a u turn back to the parking lot where I saw the CO. The CO vehicle was parked on the left parallel to the parking blocks so I pulled in to the right and parked correctly with my front to the blocks. I get out in required orange and begin to go around the back of my truck to the passenger side to get my rifle. As I got out a second CO was in the drivers seat and got out and it pretty much went like this,
    CO 1: How you doing today sir?
    Me: fine, How are you? (I continue to the passenger side to get out my rifle with my 45 strong side, I get my rifle, still in the case, and proceed to my tailgate to load up, now CO 2 Is off the phone and standing about 5 yards away to my strong side)
    CO 1: Goin' deer hunting today?
    Me: no, squirrel hunting, is that OK?
    CO 1: Yeah, we're just out spot checking licenses and things today.
    Me: (I take the license off the back of my pants and hand it to him)
    CO 1:I need to see some other ID to make sure this is who you are.
    Me: (I give him my DL and LTCF since he just saw me step out of my truck- I know I shouldn't have-He had no ras right?)
    CO 1:How's it been going for you so far this year? any luck?
    Me: No but it doesn't help when someone shits 10 feet in front of your tree stand, you haven't caught anyone doing that have you?
    CO 1:Alright, here's your things back. Good luck!
    CO 2: Sir, I'm not giving you a hard time but if you are going to carry a side arm like that, it needs to be concealed.
    Me: PA is an open carry state.
    CO 2: Yes I know but you have a concealed carry permit and you need to conceal.
    Me: Its a license to carry firearms show me where it says concealed. (at this I see CO 1 smirking and saying nothing, CO 1 is an older man in his late 50s and obviously knows the law while CO 2 appears to be about 20 something with an attitude, wearing sunglasses at 4:30PM in a wooded parking lot and very overcast-the sun hasn't been out all day but he's sporting the PONCH look from CHiPs)
    CO 2: I know what it says but its the law, again I'm not giving you a hard time, but you need to conceal that. You can only carry it in your truck and it has to be cased if you are going to or from the range or one place to another then you can open carry while on foot from one place to another. (Now I am smirking along with the other CO who is still silent)
    Me:This license allows me to conceal.
    CO 2:Sir again I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but if you were to carry like that into a store you would be arrested immediately.
    Me: Really?
    CO 1: (still smirking)
    CO 2: And why would you carry like that anyhow? you're giving away your element of surprise.
    Me ( at this point he's not getting it and I can't explain it to him so I give up)Yeah I guess. (I put my case back in the truck lock up and start toward the woods)
    CO 1: Good luck hunt safe.
    Me: Thanks have a good night. (load up and leave them in the lot)

I have a feeling the ol'timer set the kid straight once I was gone.
    I know I made a few mistakes but it could have been worse.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: COs need more training

It never fails to amaze me how many young officers (in their 20's like you stated) don't know the law. It's wierd to me still as I'm a very young police officer. Then again, I grew up learning about firearms from my dad and started shooting at 6 or 7 years old.

Glad your encounter wasn't too bad. Sounds like it could have been alot worse like other members have had it.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

(York County)

I hope you are planning on following up with his superiors rather than trusting to luck that his partner really does know the statutes and corrects him.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I hope you are planning on following up with his superiors rather than trusting to luck that his partner really does know the statutes and corrects him.
    i agree.The young man needs to be educated.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

What is this "element of surprise" I keep hearing in regards to OC ? I have heard it mentioned before on this forum and others but have never heard an explanation as to what it means.
    Of course I know what it means in regards to a combat situation, just not how it would apply to a self defense situation.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post

CO 2: And why would you carry like that anyhow? you're giving away your element of surprise.
    Me: Don't think the squirrels have it figured out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    +1 that is really funny

I think I would have gotten out my cell phone and called the state police, right in front of them, to see what CO1's reaction would be. If he did nothing, I would have called them to the scene to report CO2 for official oppression.

Great story, though. I love reading about these interactions. It prepares the next guy should the same thing happen again. I think you did just fine.

(Northampton County)

I'll say it again. I could not be that deficient in knowing the rules at my job. My employer would not tolerate it.
    I guess it's ok for cops though.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    I'll say it again. I could not be that deficient in knowing the rules at my job. My employer would not tolerate it.
    I guess it's ok for cops though.
    There are FAR too many laws to remember
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast