Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What to do about spotlighting deer hunters??

I live in Middletown Twp., Delco. Behind me is a wooded valley with some nice sized deer roaming through, constantly. Twice in the last two years I've heard the report of a rifle after dark in November. Only two or three shots were fired. Spaced about 5 to 10 seconds apart. They appear to have been fired about a 1/4 mile away ( I live within 1/2 mile from a gun club and can recognize the volume of the report).

If I hear this again this year,,,,, what do I do to report said gun fire? We are patrolled by PSP. Do I call the game commission? What do I do????????????

Thanks,,,,,
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What to do about spotlighting deer hunters??

I am confused?

Are you saying people are shooting at the gun club?

What makes you think it is hunters with a spotlight?

You also understand pin pointing a rifle shot is extremely difficult.

Go a head report it.. then find out if you have just made a complaint against a gun club or actually filed a complaint against something else?

Also, is it coyote hunting season? Are they allowed to hunt at night or dusk or dawn?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    I live in Middletown Twp., Delco. Behind me is a wooded valley with some nice sized deer roaming through, constantly. Twice in the last two years I've heard the report of a rifle after dark in November. Only two or three shots were fired. Spaced about 5 to 10 seconds apart. They appear to have been fired about a 1/4 mile away ( I live within 1/2 mile from a gun club and can recognize the volume of the report).

If I hear this again this year,,,,, what do I do to report said gun fire? We are patrolled by PSP. Do I call the game commission? What do I do????????????

Thanks,,,,,
    If you think there is poaching going on call your PA Game Commission regional office and pass the info along to your WCO
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Delaware County)

This is poaching. The gun club only allows shooting till sundown.

I have no idea when this will happen, as you can imagine. I've only heard this during November. Calling the local office will help how? Will they stake out the area for a month?

Once the shots a fired,,,,,, silence.

Thanks
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Lehigh County)

They are not hunters.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Bucks County)

Call the Wildlife conservation officers -

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=575672&mode=2

Please read...

(Lycoming County)

Report to Game commission, any other action on your part I would consider very risky. Correct me if I'm wrong but poaching deer is now a Felony and obviously they are armed.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Berks County)

I would report it so they are aware. I guess the hard thing is they are not doing it very often. So you can't pattern them. Really I guess there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. That's why poachers are successful. It's a shame, they are criminals. They might not even be able to hunt and that might be why they are doing this.

Poachers are very dangerous. I ran into a guy in a state game land parking lot during deer season a few years ago. He said he was robbed in that very parking lot. Took his wallet, rifle, phone, range finder and a bunch of other stuff. Now he carries a side arm while hunting. Most people I encounter, hunting do not carry a side arm. At least not that I can see. I asked about his vehicle, and he said no they didn't take it they just threw his keys.

After that conversation, I carry. Every time I walk into the woods.I have ran into some pissed off people in the woods. They say I was in their spot. Or that I was on land I didn't belong on. When I actually had permission. They just didn't know that. I want to be prepared.

(Montgomery County)

If you suspect poaching, report it. The WCO's are spread thin in PA, but they are suprisingly good at catching this stuff. Also, you said that you heard a rifle report, DELCO is in WMU's 5C and 5D, which are special reg's units, they need to know that too.

(Juniata County)

Also call PSP. You may just luck out and a Trooper may be reasonably close. If they are and catch the scum, a WCO will be called out if not on duty already. Why would PSP be involved? There are plenty of crimes code violations that could apply in addition to game law violations. I worked close with PGC on a couple cases I took the initial report on as an officer for a local PD. PSP will do the same if given the chance.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast