Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i use this2

Default can i use this2

is it legal to use a ruger old army cap and ball revolver in deer season?

(Berks County)

Default Re: can i use this2

Depending on the caliber? What caliber is it?

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    is it legal to use a ruger old army cap and ball revolver in deer season?
    From the regs that came with your hunting license:

LAWFUL ARMS & AMMUNITION:
    Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated (pump,
    lever, bolt actions, single-shot) centerfire rifles, shotguns and handguns
    (revolvers or single-shots) with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet
    designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any
    type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber
    or larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows (minimum draw
    weight of 35 pounds) or crossbows with broadheads of cutting edge
    design. The use of buckshot is not legal, except in the Southeast
    Special Regulations Area.

a friend recieved this email from the game commission- It is not considered a muzzleloading handgun, as the cylinder is loaded, not the muzzle. However a cap and ball revolver would still be a manually operated handgun and therefore legal in seasons and WMU’s where handguns may be used. If used for small game, the caliber restriction would still apply.

Subject: FW: Not a suggestion but a question.
    Date: Monday, July 16, 2012, 10:45 AM

original question-
    Is a cap and ball revolver considered a muzzleloading handgun and therefore a permitted device for small game if it projects a single projectile, and is less than .40 caliber?

(Jefferson County)

The short answer is "no".

The long answer: Muzzleloading handguns must be .50caliber for deer. And cap & ball revolvers do not load from the muzzle, they load from the end of the cylinder.

Groundhogs don't have a caliber restriction, but the gun isn't "muzzleloading" - so it wouldn't be legal for them. Same issue if it is .40cal or less for other small game because of the way it is loaded.

Now, should you get one of those Ethan Allen "pepperbox" type revolvers where the cylinder also is the barrel, and if it meets the caliber requirements per game - one of those would be legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The short answer is "no".

The long answer: Muzzleloading handguns must be .50caliber for deer. And cap & ball revolvers do not load from the muzzle, they load from the end of the cylinder.

Groundhogs don't have a caliber restriction, but the gun isn't "muzzleloading" - so it wouldn't be legal for them. Same issue if it is .40cal or less for other small game because of the way it is loaded.

Now, should you get one of those Ethan Allen "pepperbox" type revolvers where the cylinder also is the barrel, and if it meets the caliber requirements per game - one of those would be legal.
    did you my 2nd post ? they are a manually operated handgun therefore legal . according to the email from the game commission cap and ball revolvers are not considered muzzleloaders.
    Last edited by drwho; October 25th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

i would also say the never try to think of it and will say that if you .50 caliber gun then you can use it otherwise forget about it to do that

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    did you my 2nd post ? they are a manually operated handgun therefore legal . according to the email from the game commission cap and ball revolvers are not considered muzzleloaders.
    They aren't considered centerfire or rimfire either, which have a caliber limit of .23cal.

I've been down this road before too. The answer I got over the phone was as I describe in my prior post.

While they may be manually operated, they aren't "centerfire", "rimfire", or "muzzleloading". To qualify for small game they have to be manually operated centerfire or rimfire and less than .23caliber. To be a muzzleloader it has to load from the muzzle and be less than .40cal.

For deer that have to be a manually operated centerfire(no caliber requirement) or muzzleloading of at least .50caliber.

Your friend and I aren't the only people that have received mixed answers. The answer I received matches PA's game laws and regulations closer than the more liberal view - so, a WCO could still cite someone for using one.

Until PA's legal text changes, or the PAGC makes a posted determination in the Title 58 Regulations - a person is very much open to a violation of using unlawful devices.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

What's the reason for PA having worse hunting regulations than NY?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    What's the reason for PA having worse hunting regulations than NY?
    With all due respect, why do people need to make things more difficult than they need to be?

I wouldn't want to be in the woods with someone using an old, antiquated firearm. And for what reason? The challenge of it? Pick up a bow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast