Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Starting a new job today.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Thanks. I'm concerned about that, but according to the boss, "since the trailers are marked storage they don't need to be inspected, or even licensed". I have debated calling DOT to verify. Most aren't, I write up the ones that need work, (mostly lights) to cover my butt. Weight is under 20k, so no worries there.

Basically, the company is a big fish in a small pond and isn't bothered by local LEO's.
    If those trailers run on a public road at all they have to meet DOT. This accident happened in Mt Top Pa and it was less then a half mile from the warehouse to AEPs plant and it was in an industrial park but public roads.
    Township cop wrote the tickets. When the truck overturned it was half in the drive and half on the road.

(Erie County)

Well, that didn't last long. Last day, March 8.
    Exbiker is right. I called the PSP, DOT officer and asked about it. He said, "if they're being used to transport freight, on highway, they MUST be inspected and registered."
    So, since the company isn't going to do anything about it, until they get caught, and I don't want to be the one, I started searching for a decent job.
    I saw an ad in a trucking publication for owner/operators to pull pups for FedEx.
    Which reminded me that I had worked part time, filling in for an injured driver, back in '03, for a FedEx contractor. Gave him a call, and am now going through the process.
    As long as I pass the background stuff, which is no problem, I'll be the next FedEx Ground linehaul driver. Great equipment, dedicated runs, all same day out and back, drop and hook, Volvo "condo" truck, and motor, oldest is 5 years, some have I-shift. The only downside is they're night runs.
    Good paying local jobs are very rare and hard to get, so I was worried that I would have to go back on the road. I was at least hoping for some kind of dedicated run. This is about the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. I even won the lottery, that's right, $8.50 this week!!!!
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Crawford County)

Sorry you stepped away from the local run, Truckman. But I would be careful signing on with a FedEx contractor, too. If you see a redflag, walk away....DOT ain't screwing around these days, and drivers are (as always) in the scope for any LEO looking to score a few easy revenue-generating tickets.

You maybe interested in going back to the whole OTR hell thing?
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Erie County)

I left OTR 10 years ago, mostly because of the "new breed" me first, screw you drivers, who can't park straight in a lot, leave their trucks parked at the pumps while they shower (if they do) and eat, hit and run in the truckstop lots, dress as if they're on vacation in sandals and shorts, and who don't know the first thing about road courtesy. Add the constant lies from most companies, and their dispatchers, shippers and consignees who completely ignore the appointments they set, making you wait hours, unpaid, and if you add all your hours (not just the ones you log) and figure out your pay, it comes to about $8 an hour.
    With FedEx, I won't have to deal with that BS. Dedicated night run, when the newbies, and DOT, are sleeping. I don't know yet where we fuel, but even then it should be off peak pump blocking time.
    Plus, FedEx has a very good rep with DOT.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I left OTR 10 years ago, mostly because of the "new breed" me first, screw you drivers, who can't park straight in a lot, leave their trucks parked at the pumps while they shower (if they do) and eat, hit and run in the truckstop lots, dress as if they're on vacation in sandals and shorts, and who don't know the first thing about road courtesy. Add the constant lies from most companies, and their dispatchers, shippers and consignees who completely ignore the appointments they set, making you wait hours, unpaid, and if you add all your hours (not just the ones you log) and figure out your pay, it comes to about $8 an hour.
    With FedEx, I won't have to deal with that BS. Dedicated night run, when the newbies, and DOT, are sleeping. I don't know yet where we fuel, but even then it should be off peak pump blocking time.
    Plus, FedEx has a very good rep with DOT.
    Good luck with the new job hope it goes well. I've been off the road and running local since about 2000 for all the reasons above and more. The guy was running me into the ground, most weeks were between 3-4000 miles all by myself. The job I have now pays well and the beni's are good but, I'm really getting tired of the government over regulating it. Who do they think there are telling me I have to take my lunch between my 4th and 8th hour. I own a landscaping company that we just started back up last year, if I can get it making as much as I'm making now after everyone and everything is paid, I'm outta the trucking industry so fast It'll make your head spin. Anyhow like I said good luck with everything

(Erie County)

Congrats Truckman! Hope you like it.

truckman,

best of luck. great to find a better job in this economy. if i could find something better id leave my current hellhole in a heart beat. best of luck.

(Erie County)

good luck with the hunt truck...
    live to ride

alll the best bud. its difficult out there soo any job is a blessing these days.

(Erie County)

Took, and passed, my road test on Saturday, pulling doubles. In my pre-trip I noticed a loose bolt on the torque rod, that was not written up beforehand. "Extra points"
    WOW, those Volvo's are nice trucks! Quiet, smooth riding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast