Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Streamlight TLR-2 Review

I've had multiple handgun lights over the years from the $25 Protac's to the Surefire X400s of the world but I keep coming back to the Streamlight TLR series. They're just great lights for the money. The TLR-2 can be had new for around $220 and used for $170 (ish). Tough to beat that for a 160 lumen light that durable and incorporates a powerful laser. Here are some hits and misses for the TLR-2:

Pros:
    -Durable. I have one of these lights that was smashed pretty hard into the ground during some training and it still works as good as new (evidence of that in the video below).
    -Bright enough to disorient someone if shined in their face (160 lumen)
    -2.5 hour constant on battery life
    -Uses 2 CR123 batteries (pretty common these days)
    -Has the ability to use light only, laser only, or light/laser combo
    -Temporary activation switch as well as a constant on mode
    -Easily actuated controls
    -Includes keys for Glock-style, Picatinny, Beretta 90two, S&W 99 and S&W TSW
    -The laser windage/elevation controls are mounted inside brass bushings to protect them from being moved unintentionally
    -The laser is bright enough to be easily seen in sunlight regardless of the color of the target
    -Comes with a 2 year warranty

Cons:
    -Weight. It weighs 4.7oz. (this could be a pro or con as it does help reduce muzzle flip when mounted on a handgun)
    -Cost. Most people (rightly so) will opt for the TLR1 or TLR1s for half the cost of this light/laser combo

Here's a video running the light on my G22, some daylight shooting using only the laser on a white background, a demonstration/comparison of the light's luminosity at night time, and some discussion of the pros and cons of the light:

A note on using Streamlight's on Glocks... I had one of the G22's back in the late 90s/early 00s that wouldn't work properly with any weapon mounted light. I've found that since Glock has changed the follower and mag springs I've never had an issue. I also don't use any tools to tighten the light down; finger tighten only.

Mods: I wasn't sure which forum to put this one so if I'm wrong please move. Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Streamlight TLR-2 Review

At least you have mastered that tacticool stance/grip that everyone is adopting these days.

Nice review. I love my regular old TLR-1. It goes on my pistol every night.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    At least you have mastered that tacticool stance/grip that everyone is adopting these days.

Nice review. I love my regular old TLR-1. It goes on my pistol every night.
    I've been working on mastering it Once I get a chest rig for all my Glock mags and a tourniquet I'll be good to go. It's actually how I learned to shoot so I never knew it was cool until a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    I've been working on mastering it Once I get a chest rig for all my Glock mags and a tourniquet I'll be good to go. It's actually how I learned to shoot so I never knew it was cool until a few years ago!
    Immediately grow a Travis Haley beard, or you automatically remain a pussy...LOL. Seriously though, thanks for the review. People fail to realize that that "tacticool" stance and grip virtually eliminate any sight movement due to recoil.
    Jules