Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default S&W E-Series 1911

Purchased a new S&W E-Series 1911 the other day and got to put about 200 rounds through it so far. Right off the bat I can tell I am not satisfied with the fitting of several parts which is not the kind of quality workmanship I would expect from S&W. The beavertail safety is really loose and there is a lot of play in it from side to side. It rattles every step that I take with the gun on my side. No way of concealing this thing for damned sure. Everyone will hear me coming. There is also what appears to be a dimple mark from a mold on the cylindrical part of the hammer where the pin passes through. I would think this would be a machined part and not something that was cast. None the less, it sure looks like this thing came from a casting mold. I have had nothing but problems with the factory mags in this thing too. They look like they may be Chip McCormick mags, but there are no manufacturer marks on them anywhere. Feeds just fine with my good old trusty Wilson Combat mags though. Factory mags are double feeding and causing the extractor to disengage the round when going into battery.

If anyone else has one of these guns, I'd be interested to find out what the fit is like on so other guns in this series. I am about to call up S&W to let them know that I am not happy with the quality of workmanship on this gun considering the price. I am also about ready to strip it down completely and try to see what parts are out of spec. It would really suck if it is the frame that has been over cut because I plan to just drop in an Ed Brown beavertail safety because I like them better and would look much nicer on this gun.

Default Re: S&W E-Series 1911

If you aren't happy with it, then I would deff call S&W up and let them know. No reason for the safety to be that loose. Sounds like its just alot of casted parts and not a lot of fitting to make sure it went together matched up.

I like S&W pistols but wasn't too sure about their 1911. I don't like the exterior extractor look either. Not sure why they thought they needed to change something that wasn't broke.