Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig P938 vs. Kimber Ultra vs. Kahr PM9

Quote Originally Posted by warpath9809 View Post
    I have a Sig 938 Extreme. IMO it's the same deal as when the 238's were released. I have the same problem as first run 238. At least 1 FTE out of every magazine. My friend has one , he has far less problems but still enough to not have it as an EDC. I run 600 rounds through mine so far and no improvement. I'm selling it to a friend that knows it's history but still wants it.
    The XDS on the other hand has been 100% awesome. My boss has one & we've put several hundred rounds downrange with not 1 hiccup. Mine is on order and should be here this week. As long as it's like his I will carry with confidence.
    I've had 2 Kahrs (P380, CW9) no problems with either . Both are fine pistols. I just don't care for Kahr's religious connections.
    The Walther
    PPS is another great pistol no problems with mine. I'm sorry I sold it to fund the 938.
    My wife has been carrying her Sig 238 over the past year. She has put 400 rounds and WWB and another 200 rounds of Federal HST through it without fail. She is also looking at the Sig 938 or M&P Shield to put into her rotaion of carry. I brought up the XDs but that maybe a little too much mule for my wifes wrists. Just my 2 cents...

(Allegheny County)

The Shield is an awesome little gun, I would definitely look into it (and dedicate it to carry rather than rotate).
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    +1 on the Kahr cm9. 100% trouble free from the box, it eats 124 +P no problem. I only carry the 6 round mags, I hear the 7 rounders have issues. The only thing I don't care for is the plastic front sight but that can be upgraded.
    Kahr cm9 with 7 round mag. I have had no prpblems with mine.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Sales figures hardly line up with quality. And when you sell a majority of your guns to people who don't shoot... Well, you can see where I am going.

Gonna go grab some popcorn now because I told the truth and every Kimber owner is gonna come in and tout how they have five Kimber Ninja Models with 9,000 flawless rounds through each of them without ever cleaning them.

Point is for their price you should be getting better...

Ideal as in effective as in not .32ACP or crap like that. 9mm, .40, .45... Carry what you are comfortable with is a line of crap that people use to rationalize things.

If all handguns suck at stopping people why pick from the bottom of the barrel?
    I will agree with your first part but only to an extent. I own a Ruger SR1911 and find it to be a great gun, however the machine work that goes into a Kimber and the tolerances are much more stringent. I could not afford a Kimber at the time but wanted my first 1911 .. I dont think that Kimber is meant to be a GOD among Guns but it stands to higher quality from what i have seen and shot from a friends TLE2

Now your second part is where i have to say i fully disagree .. todays technology in ammunition has greatly improved in all aspects. I feel that carrying something your comfortable with is extremly important. There is no way that my girlfriend could comfortably carry my 1911 just as i would not want to carry a Sig 238 the size wouldnt work

As far as the cal. for which a person uses, let me ask you this
    Would you like to be shot with a .22 lr ??
    im guessing NO, now I am not saying a .22 is a good round to carry being we all know its not, however I would not want to be shot PERIOD by bullet, BB or Pellat gun. To carry something is better than not having anything. I really think it is to each their own, but again this all just personal opinon
    An Armed society is a polite one

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DGR959 View Post
    I will agree with your first part but only to an extent. I own a Ruger SR1911 and find it to be a great gun, however the machine work that goes into a Kimber and the tolerances are much more stringent. I could not afford a Kimber at the time but wanted my first 1911 .. I dont think that Kimber is meant to be a GOD among Guns but it stands to higher quality from what i have seen and shot from a friends TLE2
    Tolerances or clearances? Kimber's are just not worth what they cost, for the money invested into one you could actually get a good gun from someone else. When buying a design known to be problematic when made poorly a company that is known to cut corners is not who I would buy from. If you know someone who has one that has been super duper amazing that's great, they're not worth the risk with my dollar when there is better out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DGR959 View Post
    Now your second part is where i have to say i fully disagree .. todays technology in ammunition has greatly improved in all aspects. I feel that carrying something your comfortable with is extremly important. There is no way that my girlfriend could comfortably carry my 1911 just as i would not want to carry a Sig 238 the size wouldnt work

As far as the cal. for which a person uses, let me ask you this
    Would you like to be shot with a .22 lr ??
    im guessing NO, now I am not saying a .22 is a good round to carry being we all know its not, however I would not want to be shot PERIOD by bullet, BB or Pellat gun. To carry something is better than not having anything. I really think it is to each their own, but again this all just personal opinon
    Correct, ammo is better but that only goes so far. You can only do so much with certain calibers. Next point to that is what is comfort? What can you carry and not be uncomfortable in terms of feel or mental comfort? I bet 90% of the people here who carry something smaller than a G19 would be better served to spend a little more time on the holster selection rather than buying a mouse gun.

As for getting shot by a .22... I do not want to be flicked in the nose either, that shit stings and tears me up but I will surely not suggest a harsh nose flicking as a viable self defense technique. Better than nothing is again rationalization that we simply do not need to accept this day and age.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

Please do not make the mistake of overlaying the inherent issues of making a full size 1911 into a compact (or near compact). The original design was obviously brilliant and the smaller varients were not anticipated (as far as I am aware) when the original was designed. Most of the posted issues with Kimber seem to be more associated with making a full size 1911 into a smaller package not quality of material or craftsmanship. Their guns are very well made and lock up tight, excellent finishes...... To me the question is do you want to carry with a gun that was not designed to be a compact? There is some experimental requirements with ammo (as in which SD ammo can be fed up a VERY steep ramp). I carry an ultra and put plenty of faith in the weapon, but I am restricted to corbon powerball - which is not a bad thing. My only issues were FTLs on about 4 or 5 other HP ammo, never had issues with ball (which incidentally was the originally intended ammo for this design ANYWAY).

(Allegheny County)

The issue is cost cutting, not trying to make the 1911 into something it is not but that is also a problem. While the design may be brilliant it is a relic that has been surpassed over and over and over and over and over... That is a different thread.

Short 1911's are range toys. 1911's are cowboy action shooting guns.

(Allegheny County)

If you can feasibly carry an Ultra. You can carry a lot of things. Its not very small. Especially with the full size grip. And all things pokey that come along with the 1911 series of handguns. I have nothing against them. But for carry. Well, a G17 carries better. And I'm not a big human.

They both poke and print about the same way. Mainly due to the grip. As always, ymmv. But with your typical IWB I've found relatively no appreciable difference. Except the G17 is less snaggy and stays put better due to the length of the slide.

If the mission is really a deeper carry. I don't see the UC as a winner.

I will happily go on the books as someone who didnt have issues with the UC though. No problems. Great trigger. No function problems. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 23rd, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Seems like the Kimber isn't a winner. Maybe my love of 1911s is clouding my judgement haha.

Mostly leaning toward the P938 or the Kahr (wouldn't mind having the one with the safety).

I'd still be carrying my G23 most of the time, just want something else to work in besides a G22, 5" 1911, P2000sk or S&W .38 (not a big revolver fan)

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: Sig P938 vs. Kimber Ultra vs. Kahr PM9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoli06 View Post
    Seems like the Kimber isn't a winner. Maybe my love of 1911s is clouding my judgement haha.

Mostly leaning toward the P938 or the Kahr (wouldn't mind having the one with the safety).

I'd still be carrying my G23 most of the time, just want something else to work in besides a G22, 5" 1911, P2000sk or S&W .38 (not a big revolver fan)
    If your gonna spend the coin on a Kimber and want to stay with a carry-able 1911, look at STI. They have quite a few 3" and 4" 1911's in 9, 40, and 45. They even have double stack 1911's in a few different calibers that could be carried with ease. Not cheap; maybe you could sell a Glock or that pesky snubby () and get a great 1911.......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast