Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Looking for a range

ok, so here are the requirements I am looking for in a range...

No loaded rounds limits (like SGL limits)
    at least 100 yd rifle range (longer is better)
    pistol range
    ability to shoot at my own steel targets, bowling pins, etc
    allow kids to shoot (while supervised by parent/guardian of course)
    not too crowded
    inexpensive yearly dues

I am in the Bartonsville area, and my brother in law is in the Bushkill/Marshalls Creek area, so someplace that is easily accessible to both would be great, but we are both willing to travel a bit if we can find the right place!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Looking for a range

I have a feeling you'll be needing good luck. ive been looking for something similar and have damn near given up.

(Monroe County)

I've given up on finding that in Monroe County. I really think that this area needs a decent club, just as you described. Anyway, I shoot at Easton Fish and Game (www.efga.net). It is the closest I have found to being everything you're interested in, and it isn't too far away.

If you're interested, email me or PM me. We could always meet up and you could shoot as my guest if you want to check it out.

AJ

(Indiana County)

He good luck for next ...

(Monroe County)

Let me know when you find one. Been looking for something like that for years.

(Monroe County)

I must ask, have any of you ever volunteered your services as a club member? If you had, you will see exactly why clubs set magazine limits, target style limits, a no-guest policy, and other restrictions. It is all about trying to keep the range facilities open for future generations.
    I am involved in SEVERAL local gun clubs.....this is what is common occurrence on each club:
    *vandalism....shooting at club houses, chimneys, target supports, lights, signs, trash barrels
    * shooting across parking lots to extend the range
    * out of state members camping overnight on club grounds with several non-members then conducting "Ninja" training...i.e. running while firing, rolling on ground while firing
    * State Police visits from calls of nearby neighbors when bullets come through ceilings, walls, and windows
    * Roofs over benches shot up because someone looses count on how many rounds loaded vs. fired.
    This is FACT, NOT exaggeration. Want proof, go to any club that has put in video surveilence, they have it on tape.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyshooter View Post
    I must ask, have any of you ever volunteered your services as a club member? If you had, you will see exactly why clubs set magazine limits, target style limits, a no-guest policy, and other restrictions. It is all about trying to keep the range facilities open for future generations.
    I am involved in SEVERAL local gun clubs.....this is what is common occurrence on each club:
    *vandalism....shooting at club houses, chimneys, target supports, lights, signs, trash barrels
    * shooting across parking lots to extend the range
    * out of state members camping overnight on club grounds with several non-members then conducting "Ninja" training...i.e. running while firing, rolling on ground while firing
    * State Police visits from calls of nearby neighbors when bullets come through ceilings, walls, and windows
    * Roofs over benches shot up because someone looses count on how many rounds loaded vs. fired.
    This is FACT, NOT exaggeration. Want proof, go to any club that has put in video surveilence, they have it on tape.
    So when some morons do some stupid things, we should change the rules that affect all those who did not do the stupid things instead of kicking out or punishing the morons? Sound like anything else going on at the moment?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by xtcjpr13 View Post
    So when some morons do some stupid things, we should change the rules that affect all those who did not do the stupid things instead of kicking out or punishing the morons? Sound like anything else going on at the moment?
    Unfortunately, this is a little different than "what's going on right now" as Most clubs don't want to be associated with these activities since even the possibility of these unsafe acts drives solid members away.

Also these clubs are private. If you don't like the rules, you don't join. If you'd like, you can start one with your own rules. That's a little different than what's going on in the public sector IMVHO.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a little different than "what's going on right now" as Most clubs don't want to be associated with these activities since even the possibility of these unsafe acts drives solid members away.

Also these clubs are private. If you don't like the rules, you don't join. If you'd like, you can start one with your own rules. That's a little different than what's going on in the public sector IMVHO.
    Agree - IMNVHO.

(Monroe County)

I agree with the fact of not joining a range if you don't agree with the rules, but setting overbearing rules because a few people do stupid things is not any different than trying to pass more laws because a crazy person goes nuts.

I have seen clubs with a rule of only 1 round in a firearm at time including Chamber and magazines. This is just ridiculous imho..

I can understand no guests as a liability, and some common sense ones if there are people shooting across parking lots. Bit again that should deal with the specific people.

If I could afford to open a range, I wouldn't need to be looking for one. ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast