Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking for a range

Quote Originally Posted by xtcjpr13 View Post

I have seen clubs with a rule of only 1 round in a firearm at time including Chamber and magazines. This is just ridiculous imho..
    Hard to argue that rule is not the safest manner to conduct a firing line for ranges that do not have a Range Safety Officer to oversee compliance to rules. I will say that one club that has that rule has not had one single bullet hole through the metal roof covering the benches, since that rule was enacted.
    Rules are voted on and passed at monthly club meetings. If one feels that strongly that a rule/ or rules are over-cautious and you can present a good argument to amend such rules, then by all means go to meetings and present your case.
    Please keep in mind that most local clubs # 1 shooting range priority is to afford shooters a safe environment, and many clubs only care to cater to members using PA legal hunting guns. Trying to cope with range maintenance required for the rapid fire semi-auto crowd is just too much of a burden.....remember most of the work done at clubs is volunteer and due to the economy, club fund raising is in decline, while expenses are skyrocketing.
    Last edited by flyshooter; September 24th, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Default Re: Looking for a range

Perhaps check out Guthsville Rod and Gun Club. The range rules seem pretty relaxed. They have a "plinking" range where you can use some informal targets like bottles and stuff. Though nothing that creates too much trash. A black powder range, archery range. Pretty close to perfect for me. And the membership is not that much.

Best thing is they usually don't require a referral to join. Though when I went there to sign up a few months back, they said they have a temporary policy requiring new members to be referred by an existing member since they have been getting too many new memberships. Not sure if it's still in effect now. Perhaps I'll give them a call and ask.

https://www.guthsville.com/range-rules.php

Although with your requirements you're pretty much looking for the perfect range. We'd all like to find one of those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12