Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Remington USGI Surplus 22 ammo

Anyone shoot this stuff? Is it powerful enough to cycle modern 1911 type 22's? Good price, but I'm worried it will not be hot enough in my 1911 style similar to issues I've had with Wildcats ?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Remington USGI Surplus 22 ammo

I've never used it in a 1911 style .22 but I do know it will cycle in the Beretta M9 Ceiner kits and also the M261 22 conversion kits for the AR platform. In the AR its way more accurate with the 20" upper vs the 16" or 14.5" uppers.

Mind if I ask where your finding it available? I'd be intersested in picking some up possibly.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

It has been for sale off the Civilian Marksmanship Program site for eligible buyers a few times in the past years....they recently sold some off and are currently sold out. This past batch were selling for about $155 shipped or so a case of 1990's vintage 5000rounds vacuum wrapped really nice for long term storage. Ignore the price on the pic....that was the club purchase price from a previous sale not this most recent one. The previous sale price was about $115 shipped for the same case......I got some from that sale but haven't had the chance to use any yet.

(Chester County)

I bought a case from the CMP. I placed my order on the 9th and still no activity other than they got my order. Ill post a range report when I receive it.
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    I've never used it in a 1911 style .22 but I do know it will cycle in the Beretta M9 Ceiner kits and also the M261 22 conversion kits for the AR platform. In the AR its way more accurate with the 20" upper vs the 16" or 14.5" uppers.

Mind if I ask where your finding it available? I'd be intersested in picking some up possibly.
    Found some at M1 Garand Ammo and Parts - only ones that seem to have it. Not a great price ( $18.50 / 500 + shipping ) but I wanted to try it. I keep missing out on CMP when they get it in ! www.ammogarand.com

Not sure I would bother at that price with the added shipping. Nothing I have read about this stuff indicates it is any better than some fresh bulk Walmart ammo. In the case form it at least has the storage factor working for it with the vacuum pack mylar sealed case it's in.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Not sure I would bother at that price with the added shipping. Nothing I have read about this stuff indicates it is any better than some fresh bulk Walmart ammo. In the case form it at least has the storage factor working for it with the vacuum pack mylar sealed case it's in.
    This ammunition is standard velocity rated, under 1200 FPS. Standard velocity is preferred by target shooters and it generally costs more. For plinking, you are right, it would not make much difference.