Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default How do you give a gun to a family member?

Say I want to give one of my handguns to my son. Is there paper work involved?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How do you give a gun to a family member?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Say I want to give one of my handguns to my son. Is there paper work involved?
    . No .

Parent to child/child to parent, Grand parent to grand child/grand child to grand parent, spouse to spouse..need no transfer through an FFL. These are legal "gifts".
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; October 19th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    . No .

Parent to child/child to parent, Grand parent to grand child/grand child to grand parent, spouse to spouse..need no transfer through an FFL. These are legal "gifts".

Just wanted to add that's assuming your both residents of PA.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

And also assuming neither party is a prohibited person.

Under the current regime, there are unfortunately some good reasons to use an FFL anyway.

First, it's possible that your kid is a prohibited person. He/she may have a drug conviction or other prohibitor from that year in college that they never told you about. Or you may be aware of an incident that you are unaware is a legal prohibitor; maybe they were rebellious in their teens and you had them checked out one weekend, maybe they had a scrape with police and you took them home without any jail time, but the incident is prohibiting nonetheless.

I have had many clients come in who were unaware that they themselves were prohibited, so it's certainly possible that you'd be unaware of your kid's problem. And the problem is worse with respect to a kid giving his dad or grandfather a gun, or your spouse.

Using an FFL will give you that clean bill of legal health.

The other reason is that using an FFL will make the gun appear to be "registered" to the recipient, for police who still misuse the Record of Sale Database. The FFL transfer generates a Record of Sale Form, which updates the Database. If your kid is stopped and the gun taken "for officer safety", it will more likely than not be checked to see if it's stolen, or "registered" to him. The cops aren't supposed to, but the hassle of getting it back will cost a lot more than any transfer fee.

Let's say Mary Smith buys herself a handgun. Later, she marries Bob Jones, and becomes Mary Jones. She gives her handgun to her son, Jim Jones. Jim Jones is stopped, and his gun is found to be "registered" to a Mary Smith. He probably wont be getting it back, not without some effort and a special trip to the PD when "the officer with the key to the property room" is in. And you may need to file a Petition for Return of Property in Common Pleas court to get it back.

It's a risk either way, you can spend the coin to do an FFL transfer and be sure that the recipient passes PICS, and that the gun will appear "registered" when an ignorant LEO misuses the Database (and will also be more easily found if the government violates all common sense and starts banning all handguns)...or you can save the money and risk seizure or worse, maybe.

Either decision is valid, if you make it with an understanding of the risks and benefits.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

But when the Po-Po have me spread eagle on the asphalt and are running the serial number against the non-existent-illegal database, how do I prove it is my gun?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

Check...

Quote Originally Posted by fttfbass View Post
    And also assuming neither party is a prohibited person.
    ...and...check. It's a sad day when we actually have to point these things out but both are correct and good additions to the thread.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Under the current regime, there are unfortunately some good reasons to use an FFL anyway.

First, it's possible that your kid is a prohibited person. He/she may have a drug conviction or other prohibitor from that year in college that they never told you about. Or you may be aware of an incident that you are unaware is a legal prohibitor; maybe they were rebellious in their teens and you had them checked out one weekend, maybe they had a scrape with police and you took them home without any jail time, but the incident is prohibiting nonetheless.

I have had many clients come in who were unaware that they themselves were prohibited, so it's certainly possible that you'd be unaware of your kid's problem. And the problem is worse with respect to a kid giving his dad or grandfather a gun, or your spouse.

Using an FFL will give you that clean bill of legal health.

The other reason is that using an FFL will make the gun appear to be "registered" to the recipient, for police who still misuse the Record of Sale Database. The FFL transfer generates a Record of Sale Form, which updates the Database. If your kid is stopped and the gun taken "for officer safety", it will more likely than not be checked to see if it's stolen, or "registered" to him. The cops aren't supposed to, but the hassle of getting it back will cost a lot more than any transfer fee.

Let's say Mary Smith buys herself a handgun. Later, she marries Bob Jones, and becomes Mary Jones. She gives her handgun to her son, Jim Jones. Jim Jones is stopped, and his gun is found to be "registered" to a Mary Smith. He probably wont be getting it back, not without some effort and a special trip to the PD when "the officer with the key to the property room" is in. And you may need to file a Petition for Return of Property in Common Pleas court to get it back.

It's a risk either way, you can spend the coin to do an FFL transfer and be sure that the recipient passes PICS, and that the gun will appear "registered" when an ignorant LEO misuses the Database (and will also be more easily found if the government violates all common sense and starts banning all handguns)...or you can save the money and risk seizure or worse, maybe.

Either decision is valid, if you make it with an understanding of the risks and benefits.

Wat he said. Unfortunately there is how the system is to work and how the system is worked,
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

So there IS a gun registry after all. I'll remember that the next time a politician promises me he won't take my gun away because he doesn't even know I have a gun. But I agree with the point GunLawyer made. You have to pretend you are dealing with a stranger. What about guns that are part of someone's estate? Who owns them and who does the transfer?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

...Edited...

Has anyone, or is it possible to, FFL transfer a firearm to yourself? I am thinking particularly of what I have purchased when out of state. I think I won't do so on principle, but wondering if it were possible. Perhaps it would 'trigger' a 302?? Pardon the pun.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast