Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Significant handguns. Discuss

Just for fun. What are some models that were significant to the gun using market. Did the gun fill a need, create a new market, influence later designs?

Starting: I propose the S&W model Hand ejector/ M&P and it's evolution into the model 10.
    A design that endured for a century, carried by countless millions, and still in use today.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Significant handguns. Discuss

Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum***Production 1955 to Present. Filled a need, without it there would be no Dirty Harry

The .44 mag fulled the need of long range powerful hunting firearm capable of taking big game at distances (IHMO up to 100 yards).

Smith & Wesson .41 Magnum***Production 1964 to present.

Was designed for law enforcement agencies who wanted to replace the .357 Mag with something that was more powerful. The .41 Magnum is also a fine hunting cartridge.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Beaver County)

Well there was that automatic revolver that was made by Webley if I remember correctly. Didn't go over so well but a interesting idea. If not that I at least think the S&W 500 mag has had to set some type of new standard in mass produces guns.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

Colt 1911 duh!

The seminal design that still is the role model for what an effective fighting handgun will ultimately be compared to whenever combat handguns are discussed.

Walther P.38
    Th first DA/SA locked breech centerfire pistol. Even today only limited compared to much more modern guns by its 8 rd magazine capacity. And don't forget, its design evolved into our current M9 service pistol. I need to say no more.

(Mercer County)

No mention of the Colt SAA. Nothing more needs to be said about this firearm than it is the

Single Action Army.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Susquehanna County)

The most significant? How about original prototype of the 1911 design.

From the principles in that one pistol came most all of the current crop of semi-autos. Nearly all of which carry some of the concepts originating with Browning. For example the "parallel ruler" method of attaching frame and slide, the barrel link and the "unlocking or swinging barrel". Just take a look you'll find all of these features on Glocks, Sigs, Berettas and others.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Wayne County)

Glock 17, not the first but the most important polymer framed pistol. Still defining reliability and durability in hard use situations world wide.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Clarion County)

One would be the S&W 19. Bill Jordan dubbed it "a peace officers dream." One of the first lightweight powerhouses introduced around 1955.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Montgomery County)

The C96 and the P08 (or the Swiss earlier version in 0.30 Luger), Both can be classified as the first and second effective and reliable semi-autos. The C96 also for its unique construction with only one screw in the whole gun and that in the grip. The P08 for introducing what is probably the most "fired" war use hand/sub-gun cartridge of all time, the 9mm Parabellum, though the 22 LR might have beaten it if one includes civilian use as well. Dave_n

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by thelemite View Post
    Just for fun. What are some models that were significant to the gun using market. Did the gun fill a need, create a new market, influence later designs?
    My brain tells me to give attention to the first hand cannons invented by the Chinese in the 1200's. That's where it all began. The basic principle hasn't changed since then.

My heart says the 1911. I've got two of them and want to add a few more.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast