Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Nickel, Chrome, Stainless, etc 1911 used in military.

While I doubt any nickel, chrome, stainless, etc 1911s would have been issued for combat. Is there any documentation of them being issued for ceremonial purposes or officers (probably high ranking) carrying such firearms?

This is kind of academic as I'm not in the market to buy a 1911 right now. But i'm doing my research into exactly what I want. I want something close to a GI design but with a little more aesthetic to it. So if these were used even in very limited numbers by the military that would help bridge the gap of what I want aesthetically and what would be accurate to history.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 19th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Nickel,, Chrome, Stainless, etc 1911 used in military.

If you do find some rare account of some schzotypal officer somewhere carrying a nickel 1911 it does not mean it was issued to him or issued in that set up. Why do you care what someone else carried or had made when considering you purchasing decision? Weigh the pros and cons on your own and choose what you like.

If you insist on being told what to buy from an internet forum "hivemind" then just post one of those droll "what should I buy threads."

The military has used chrome on the inside of bores to keep them from corroding. Stainless steel is rare in military applications as is chrome. Shiny equals reflected light, which means easier to see. Since one can only shoot at (or call artillery onto) a target he/she can see, militaries like to stay out of sight if possible.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Nickel,, Chrome, Stainless, etc 1911 used in military.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you do find some rare account of some schzotypal officer somewhere carrying a nickel 1911 it does not mean it was issued to him or issued in that set up. Why do you care what someone else carried or had made when considering you purchasing decision? Weigh the pros and cons on your own and choose what you like.

If you insist on being told what to buy from an internet forum "hivemind" then just post one of those droll "what should I buy threads."

The military has used chrome on the inside of bores to keep them from corroding. Stainless steel is rare in military applications as is chrome. Shiny equals reflected light, which means easier to see. Since one can only shoot at (or call artillery onto) a target he/she can see, militaries like to stay out of sight if possible.
    My main reasoning for wanting a 1911 is it's historical significance especially related to WWII military service.

I do like the polished shiny look of the mentioned finishes. I'm not a dumb ass and I know they would never be used for combat. Weighing the "pros and cons" if there is history that these types of finishes where used for ceremonial or presentation purposes then I could have the best of both worlds, something I like aesthetically and something that fits the period.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 19th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Nickel, Chrome, Stainless, etc 1911 used in military.

Occasionally you can find US Army 1911s on Gunbroker that were brought home by soldiers who then had them plated. ie: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=309446826

(Lehigh County)

I remember a plated 1911 given as a gift to a retiring officer (a Colonel if my memory is correct). It was entirely unofficial and financed by many dozens of his former subordinates and family. Maybe this is a tradition.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by carwash View Post
    Occasionally you can find US Army 1911s on Gunbroker that were brought home by soldiers who then had them plated. ie: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=309446826
    Mother of motherfucking pearl that is a nice 1911. I would glady pay that price if I had that money to spend. Ill be jealous of whoever gets that one