Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The War on Runny Noses

As someone who suffers from allergies just about every hour of the day, this really pisses me off. Am I going to have to drive all over PA and get my Claritin from different locations each time?

The Combat Methamphetamine Act (part of The Patriot Act):

Key anti-meth provisions in the legislation include:

Restricts The Sale Of Necessary Ingredients To Make Methamphetamine.

o Restricts the sale of medicines containing pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine (PPA) by placing them behind the counter, requiring purchasers to show identification, and limiting how much one person can buy to 9 grams a month and 3.6 grams in a single day.

o Products must be sold in blister packs, each of which may contain a maximum of two dosage units.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/...06/030906.html
    Last edited by greyhouse; December 15th, 2006 at 10:27 PM.

Default Re: The War on Runny Noses

Holy cow. I had never read a summary of the entire law, but knew that it made it easier to buy gun powder than Tylenol Cold.

I was in a CVS the other day, and was buying some cold medicine for my kid. What I found was not containing that evil drug ephedrine, but I was in line behind this woman. I was admiring the view, rather nice view at that, with those tight blue jeans, fairly form fitting shirt, long red hair. Anyways, she had walked over from work, and had left her purse at work. They would not let her buy some damned cold medicine because she had forgotten her license. I had to fill out the same amount of paperwork as if I was to buy 1,000 lbs of ammonium nitrate. (I was a gentleman, bought it with her money, and then gave her a ride back to work, the lingerie store down from the pistol range.. )

This law is throwing money at stuff. A joint venture between the US and Mexico to combat smuggling of Meth. OK...since when do we import meth, it is so stinking easy to make it at home with basic stuff. This is a waste of money and time. I know meth is bad, but come on. There are better ways to deal with it. DPRM uses helicopters and thermal imaging to try and help determine where Meth is used. (I know, there are privacy issues, but they have made a dent.)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Allegheny County)

what a frickin' joke!!

glad i already have a good stash of claritin already in my bug in preps. pretty soon having that stash will prolly make me a criminal, though.

good grief. this is really just getting completely out of hand (not that it hasn't been for awhile...but this is a new low).

ETA: what the heck are you suppose to do if you are getting ready for an extended backpacking/camping trip and need to buy a supply for the whole trip? i haven't see to many pharmacies out in the middle of national forests...

I'll just go to the military doc, and say hey, going to be gone for X days, need X+8 days, and get a script, and get Tricare to pay for it.

These rules are also useless in that a prescription can be for any amount still. You can get a doc to right a script for about 9 months worth, and the DEA and DHS can do nothing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

The maximum amount of psuedoephedrine HCL a pharmacy can sell you in one day is 3.6 grams. One box of regular Sudafed contains 96 tablets, each of which contain 30mg each of pseudoephedrine. The total amount of pseudoephedrine in the 96 count box is 2880mg or 2.88 grams. This is getting you close to the daily limit. The maximum amount to be taken a day is 240mg. That is 12 days worth of Sudafed. Since you are allowed to buy a max of 9 grams per month, you could have a total of three boxes Sudafed purchased in advance for a long range trip. That would give you 36 days worth of pseudoephedrine HCL. I feel bad for those of you that find this government action too restrictive, but this is certainly not unreasonable, or preventing the average citizen from purchasing a required OTC medication. There is no way, that any one person would have a need to use more a month, let alone a day, under these guidlines. Instead of getting angry at the government, you can thank the morons who are responsible for the picture below...

(Jefferson County)

I know I'll get flamed for this, but...

They just need tp execute offenders right after conviction of a drug offense for any drug other than: over the counter, your prescription, weed, and some natural forming mushrooms/herbs when used in conjunction with a religious ceremony.

I've lost a very special person in my life due to someone getting her started on cocaine and meth. And the day they make it legal to get a license to hunt a crackhead, I will be first in line at the County Treasurer's office to get mine. I have no problem with people smoking weed in the privacy of their own home, or those who use certain mushrooms/etc for religious ceremonies - but anything more than that and I'll help the police drag your butt out of where ever you were hiding.

(Berks County)

What scares me about the Patriot Act in general is that it can potentially be used to control and monitor every aspect of our lives in the name of "fighting terrorism". Its provisions run the gamut and spread itself over every facet of American life, as evidenced by this thread.

I hope for our sakes that Congress works to remove this Act and its provisions with all due haste, or at least work to severely curtail its powers. I want out government to have the power to investigate and fight terrorism, but not at the expense of the freedom and liberty of American citizens.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Instead of getting angry at the government, you can thank the morons who are responsible for the picture below...
    that picture would not exist without the war on the drugs.

if meth (or whatever drug is made from this stuff) were legal, it would be made in regular old manufacturing facilities like, for example, alcohol and cigarettes. you would not have home made meth labs. you would not have police and firefighters dying from having to raid them. you would not have neighbors dying from the noxious chemicals that escape from them, etc. etc.

most of the bad problems drugs create in our society result from drugs being illegal...not from the drugs themselves.

obviously, the drugs are bad for the user either way, but if an individual chooses to use drugs, that's his problem. he made his bed...he can lie in it.

but, by making drugs illegal, you create consequences for everyone else too...some of those consequences are clearly shown the picture you posted.

not to mention that the federal government regulating anything about drugs other than interstate commerce in them is blatantly unconstitutional. and any level of government regulating recreational drug use is a violation of the principle of the right to the pursuit of happiness (which exists even if you try to pursuit happiness in an idiotic, doomed to failure way...as long as you aren't hurting anyone else...which, by using drugs, in and of itself, you are not).

(Allegheny County)

Man, I guess that I'm not the only one that's disturbed by this.

Without getting into all the "governmental control" issues, I'll simply say that I do not enjoy being treated like a criminal because I NEED TO FREAKIN' BREATHE!

If you don't need to purchase these meds, you have NO IDEA how much of a PITA this is!

Let's say there's 30 days in a month... there are TWENTY pills in a box! Depending on your dosage and how many times a day you take them, this translates to having to make MORE THAN ONE TRIP to buy a FREAKIN' ONE MONTH SUPPLY!!!

OK, I feel better now...

As mentioned by someone else, the only way to make this bearable is to have your doctor write a script so you can pick up enough to last you a while (I forget how many).
    No, you don't NEED a script to BUY it, but you need one in order to keep your SANITY!!!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    What scares me about the Patriot Act in general is that it can potentially be used to control and monitor every aspect of our lives in the name of "fighting terrorism". Its provisions run the gamut and spread itself over every facet of American life, as evidenced by this thread.

I hope for our sakes that Congress works to remove this Act and its provisions with all due haste, or at least work to severely curtail its powers. I want out government to have the power to investigate and fight terrorism, but not at the expense of the freedom and liberty of American citizens.
    As far as I can tell this act did nothing more then to erode freedom and liberty of those who live in the United States. I have a feeling that this is NOT what the founding fathers saw for the future of this country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast