Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: The War on Runny Noses

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    There is no way, that any one person would have a need to use more a month, let alone a day, under these guidlines. Instead of getting angry at the government, you can thank the morons who are responsible for the picture below...]
    You're pretty obviously not a family man. Typical dose of the medication mentioned is two tablets every four to six hours, making it a minimum of 8 tables per day per person. Now I don't know where you do your shopping, but I've never seen them in packages of 96. Now let's look at a small familly of three. Kid comes home from school, sick from one of their friends, 8 tablest per day, call 5 - 7 days per cold, right there is 56 tablets minimum. Mommy is next to fall because she'd taking care of the little one 9old fassioned I know, but spare me the sextist comments), there's another 56 tablets for a total of 112 (already exceeded you're 96 I believe). Mommy goes to bed and snuggles with daddy oops there's a total of 168 tablets, one family one cold. CDC says average person will get 4 -5 colds per season taking the lower number that's 672 tablets minimum per family per year.

Now taking your logic, this family is involved in criminal activity, just because they are trying to stay/ regain health. I propose to you, that similar to gun owners, there are far more legitimate OTC users than there are illegal users.why punish 99% for the crimes of the few? Now I'm not the tin foil hat type guy, but in the past few years, I've seen a lot of negative press concerning American's who "self medicate" and how it's bad. When I was growing up, that was called self-reliance, and was viewed as a good thing, now when I hear this stuff and see this type legislature, I start wondering about it, and as one other put it, how much is it government officials desire to control our lives.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    in the past few years, I've seen a lot of negative press concerning American's who "self medicate" and how it's bad. When I was growing up, that was called self-reliance, and was viewed as a good thing,
    society and government have a way of trying to make everyone more reliant on society and government. that's how they gain control over you.

you can see it in lots of things. another good example (besides making more and more drugs prescription only) is establishing more and more building codes and needing permits for more and more things. another example are laws in some cities requiring you to hire certified electricians instead of doing the work yourself if you want to rewire your house. (sorry, but wiring a house is not rocket science...anyone with half a brain in their head and a decent reference manual can do it.)

i can see the day coming when it will be illegal to change your own brake pads. (a job that takes 30 minutes and costs $20 to $50 or so if you do it yourself, but most people already pay ridiculous sums to have it done for them.)

self-reliance is frowned upon more and more. and that is a very sad and unamerican thing.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    self-reliance is frowned upon more and more. and that is a very sad and unamerican thing.
    Noticed, noticed, and not welcomed. At least I'm teaching mine, and those who are offspring of friends of mine, that it's not a bad thing, and can be fun.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I know I'll get flamed for this, but...

They just need tp execute offenders right after conviction of a drug offense for any drug other than: over the counter, your prescription, weed, and some natural forming mushrooms/herbs when used in conjunction with a religious ceremony.

I've lost a very special person in my life due to someone getting her started on cocaine and meth. And the day they make it legal to get a license to hunt a crackhead, I will be first in line at the County Treasurer's office to get mine. I have no problem with people smoking weed in the privacy of their own home, or those who use certain mushrooms/etc for religious ceremonies - but anything more than that and I'll help the police drag your butt out of where ever you were hiding.
    Not to "flame" you for anything but...

I wouldn't want to hunt anyone who was just using the stuff as the woman you are referring to and some friends I knew (keyword being knew) would fall under that...

However if they ever start selling licenses to hunt anyone who ever sold or gave those kind of drugs to anyone you would have to run pretty fast to beat me to the front of the line

(Tioga County)

I alway thought the proper thing to do to dealers was a summary public hanging. Like from the nearest street light. If the case involved selling to a minor. they don't get the long drop they get hoisted.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    I alway thought the proper thing to do to dealers was a summary public hanging. Like from the nearest street light. If the case involved selling to a minor. they don't get the long drop they get hoisted.
    Good thought... I like that idea better

You guys are killing me here! First of all there is no such thing as "Just" a drug, they are all addictive, ask any coffee drinker or any smoker. Yeah those fall under the "just" drugs that I do regularly. I knew of people who did Just pot, till they found out about Just Hash, then Just Crack and cocaine, then Just Mescaline, and Just pills and they ended up just as dead.

I was fortunate to be able to quit.. Yeah i was once a kid, and I hate needles, so i was Scared of going further, and some one cought me while I wanted to get off the junk, and helped me.

Believe me when i say, there is no "just" drug, just like there is no ex-alcoholic while I was on Chemo the DR prescribed me Just a few pills, I will say some where nessesary, but others where not, whenI finished after 9 months of Chemo, i had so many pills I could have sold on the black market, it was not even funny, I brought them back to the pharmacy because I was getting worried about the kids in the house who where at the age they want to Just try it. I had again a new devil to fight off, Yeah prescription can be deadly too, and very addictive.

When I hear about this supposed war on drugs, it makes me laugh, its more the war on who gets the bigger cut of money.
    I totally disagree with street drugs, and although I believe there are some drugs/medicine that can make you feel better, help you get back on your feet, I also know there can be times where people forget the dangers of the drugs they take.
    Some of my coworkers take Just cough medicine to fall asleep at night, they take Just halls during the day to make themselves feel better, they dont have a cold, or any reason to take cold medicine, they are Just addicted. Yeah I work in a drug free environment, I hear more Just this and Just that then you could believe.

Now let me Just light up a cigar and relax!

Flame over. My cigar is lit!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yep, legalizing methamphetamine would be a great idea. Then when it was legal, just like pharmaceutical drugs are today, there would be no black market. No one would produce it at a fraction of the cost. This would end all smuggling, dealing, home made labs. Heck, all you need to do is buy your max amount of pseudo and make a trip to the local Wal-Mart and you could practically cook if you knew what you were doing. Proud parents wouldn't stay awake for three, four days, then leave their kids out like dogs for two or three while they crashed out. Yeah, much like many alcoholics do today. I am not against banning alcohol. We could drop all kinds of funded programs. Back to legal pharmaceutical drugs. Call your county coroner and ask him how many drug related overdoses he had in your county last year, then ask him how many of those were from legal drugs. You will be surprised. Many pharmaceuticals account for "drug dependant" people these days. The chemical oxycodone is one example. In it's most common form, Percocet, I am sure many of us have had it prescribed to us after a broken bone, or wisdom tooth extraction. It is also the drug found in Oxycontin. Although legal, I am sure it will come as no surprise to you to hear that there is a huge Oxycontin black market. Kids get their parents, grand parents, etc.... and sell them at school. Same drug as in Percocet, but made in a sustained release formula to release over a twelve hour period. Suck off the coating, crush it snort it, even shoot it, and one 80mg Oxycontin is equal to eating 16 Percocet at once. For a non opiod tolerant person, this can be fatal, and has been fatal. Ask the relatives of people that have licked or eaten Duragesic patches, a transdermal patch much like the "quit smoking patch" that contains fentanyl, what they think about these legal drugs. The bottom line is, as long as we have drugs out there period, whether they are legal, or illegal, stupid people are going to abuse them. How did this affect you, and why should the government protect these morons from themselves? Because in one way or another, these stupid acts affect all of us in the long run, whether it be higher health care, more government funded programs etc... I am not here to get into a battle over the legalization of controlled substances, because, without a miracle, their legalization will never happen. Should we permit people who would use legal PCP, methamphetamine, heroin, crack, acid to purchase and carry a handgun? Or would barring them from doing so be unconstitutional?
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    No one would produce it at a fraction of the cost.
    economies of scale would prevent people from producing it a fraction of the cost. modern factories would make the stuff at a fraction of the cost of what some home operation could.

This would end all smuggling, dealing, home made labs.
    it would end the vast majority of it...sorta like ending prohibition ended mass scale moonshining. sorta like there isn't really much of a black market for coffee, alcohol, or even tobacco (though there is a bit of a black market there because of tax issues, but not a substantial one by any means).

Proud parents wouldn't stay awake for three, four days, then leave their kids out like dogs for two or three while they crashed out. Yeah, much like many alcoholics do today.
    and much like many meth users do today. the WoD just plain doesn't work--nver has, never will.

also, the idea that legalizing drugs would like to increased usage is a myth. if anything, legalizing drugs would make it harder for children to get them. as of today, it is easier for kids to get illegal drugs than alcohol. and you would not have street pushers pushing drugs on little kids.

I am not against banning alcohol.
    it worked so well the first time we tried it.

anyway, i guess you just don't really believe in the rights to liberty and the pursuit of happiness, eh?

Call your county coroner and ask him how many drug related overdoses he had in your county last year, then ask him how many of those were from legal drugs.
    presciption drugs are not legal for recreational use, so, for WoD pruposes, they should be considered illegal. and, you are just proving the point that making them illegal (or requiring a prescription) doesn't stop people from abusing them. the WoD just plain has not worked and never will...and, it creates violent black markets, costs a ridiculous amount of money, and violates the very concept of personal liberty upon which this country was founded.

I am sure it will come as no surprise to you to hear that there is a huge Oxycontin black market.
    because it is essentially illegal. if you could walk down to the corner drug store and buy it without a prescription, there would not be a hyuge black market in it.

The bottom line is, as long as we have drugs out there period, whether they are legal, or illegal, stupid people are going to abuse them.
    EXACTLY! so why waste a bunch of money and create violent black markets trying to stop people from abusing them.

How did this affect you, and why should the government protect these morons from themselves?
    the government should not protect them from themselves. that's my whole point. let people use drugs if they want...and let them face the consequences themselves.

how did it affect me? i pay ludicrous amounts of taxes to fund something that goes directly against the most important ideal upon which this country was founded...personal liberty.

i have also seen the lives of good and productive people ruined (or at least made much harder) by the war on drugs. society did not benefit from this...society lost because of this...and i paid for it. it pisses me off that my money is wasted like this.

(i have seen lives ruined--and ended--by drugs themselves, too. but, those people brought it on themselves. and i did not pay for it.)

Because in one way or another, these stupid acts affect all of us in the long run, whether it be higher health care, more government funded programs etc...
    that argument can be used in an attempt to justify anything. people being fat does all of this too, should we outlaw fat people?

btw, i'm all for getting rid of government funded programs...government funded rehab programs, the DEA, etc.

I am not here to get into a battle over the legalization of controlled substances.
    then you should not have started the battle.

I didn't start this mess, people made posts opposing the psuedoephedrine regulations and are grossly misinformed about the amounts, and what is practical use. The regulations in no way hinder any law abiding citizen from obtaining a valuable medication.
    Jules

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast