Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clarion County)

Default rem700 stock, bdl modified to dm??

i need a new stock for my 700 dm rifle. i only want to spend $250 or less on this project, because i still need optics and ammo for this project. the only stocks i can find that are in that price range, ready for the dm bottom metal are the choate 'ultimate' models. i am not interested in them, too heavy, and clumsy from reviews i have read. the folding model may be what i go with, if nothing else works out.

anyway, does anyone out there know what the odds are of successfully taking an hs precision pss stock for a bdl, and making the appropriate cuts to get it to fit? i would be working it with hand tools most likely so i dont take away too much.

i hope that made sense

thanks
    Jesse

Default Re: rem700 stock, bdl modified to dm??

Howdy Jesse,

Your budget makes this whole project a bit tough buddy. It is very possible to inlet a stock for the DM. It can be done with hand tools and I have witnessed it done, but it's a bit tricky. My gunsmith that does it, told me that he screwed up on stock doing it and had the hang of it by the second. This means that there is a potential learning curve to doing a normal stock and perfectly inletting it square for the action. You could potentially buy a laminate stock from someone like say Richard's microfit stocks and have them inlet it for DM, that would probably be right around your $250 budget, but then you would still have to bed the rifle in that stock, possibly pillar bed it (if that's what you wanted), possibly enlarge the barrel channel, and still finish it the way you wanted to. It's possibly to do it yourself, but you could also just ruin a stock or end up with a job that looks "half ass". I'd say it's a gamble and has alot to do with how much experience you have at operating hand tools (dremels, etc) to very tight tolerances and making sure everything is square. If you actually attempt to do it, you MUST make sure that how you are going to cut it is square with how the action will be fitting in the stock, and you need to cut the hole a fair amount smaller and have to sand it in to get it to fit perfectly. Hope this helps.