Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default CZ52 or Makarov?

So, I'm thinking of my next purchase being either a CZ 52 or a Pistolet Makraova.

This is my first foray into Soviet and Eastern Bloc firearms, so I'm going into it with a bit of a blind eye. I've always had some odd and inexplicable fondness for both pistols, and I'm working off the assumption that, like most Warsaw Pact arms, they'll be inexpensive to purchase and shoot, easy to maintain, and relatively reliable. Anyone have any experience with these pistols or suggestions of which to go with?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: CZ52 or Makarov?

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    So, I'm thinking of my next purchase being either a CZ 52 or a Pistolet Makraova.

This is my first foray into Soviet and Eastern Bloc firearms, so I'm going into it with a bit of a blind eye. I've always had some odd and inexplicable fondness for both pistols, and I'm working off the assumption that, like most Warsaw Pact arms, they'll be inexpensive to purchase and shoot, easy to maintain, and relatively reliable. Anyone have any experience with these pistols or suggestions of which to go with?
    I own a CZ82, a CZ52 and a Tokarev M57. Ammo for the CZ52 and Tokarev isn't as cheap as it use to be ( year ago 1,200 rounds was $100 bucks or less, not it's $300 ) for surplus, modern ammo the same as other ammo. The CZ82 takes 9mm makarov which is priced $11-$15 a box usually. Out of the 3, I probable enjoy the CZ82 the best - extremely accurate with the polygonal barrel, a bit more compact than the others, and fun. Next for me would be the Tokarev M57 - the 7.62x25 ammo is a potent round and fun to shoot. Then the CZ52 - maybe because I have had that one the shortest amount of time and it is the "clunkiest" of the three. And don't forget the Nagant revolver - ammo a bit pricey and not the quickest to load and unload, but fun. If you need any other info, shoot me a note. Good luck, whatever you decide you'll have fun. Try to find someone close to shoot them if you haven't already!

(Delaware County)

Great, thanks for the information! How much are the pistols you listed running these days?

Anyone in SE PA want to head to the range sometime?

(Northampton County)

I will agree with cruzans on this one the 7.62x25mm pistols are a blast to shoot but the ammo is not cheap anymore. i would get any of the 9x18 makarov caliber pistol Cz 82's can be bought in the $180.00 to $249 range usually with an extra mag and holster. The P-83 Wanad goes for $180.00-nice Polish pistol. Another of my Polish favorites is the P64 9/x18 mak $179.00 or even nicer fullsize 9mm Luger chambered pistol the Polish Mag 98 pistol $295.00. Then there are Bulgarian ,East German and Russian Markarov pistols-Blugarian are the cheapest at $200-$239. last and another of my personal favorites is the PA63 Hungarian copy of the PPK pistol in 9x18 mak caliber $169.00. last there are Romanian Yugo and russain Tokarevs pistols I like the yugo the best the add on safety is mounted in the same position that you would find in on a 1911 style pistol- Yugos go for $179.00. Last you can get CZ 52's in unissued condition from Czeckpoint for about $300. I own Cz 82, P64 ,PA63, Polish Mag98 and a CZ 52 currently if you want to try one out before buying one.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Montgomery County)

I have a CZ-52, Romanian Tokarev, and a CZ-82. I like 'em all. Some general thoughts on my CZ-52 are here. I prefer it over the Romy Tokarev -- fit is better and function is smoother on the CZ-52, and the grip angle on the Tok is even stranger than the CZ-52. The CZ-82 also is a fun gun to shoot -- I find its recoil surprisingly snappy but it's definitely manageable. I don't have a Makarov, but the CZ-82 fires the same round (9mm Makarov), is of a similar size, and like the Mak is a conventional blowback semi-auto pistol. The CZ-82 also has the polygonal rifling, bigger standard sights and 12-round mag capacity. Tough to go wrong with either the CZ-52 or 82. J&G Sales has the CZ-82s in stock right now for around $200. I think I saw an ad in the classifieds for a CZ-52 recently; you also can find them on gunbroker most of the time, usually in the $200-$250 range. Like cruzans said the 7.62x25 surplus ammo has gone up in price.

(Delaware County)

Thanks a ton for the info, Brian and Shiloh.

I may try to make it up to Easton here in a few weekends, Brian, I'll PM you when I do if you don't mind letting me put a few rounds through them!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by volanova View Post
    Great, thanks for the information! How much are the pistols you listed running these days?

Anyone in SE PA want to head to the range sometime?
    Looks like Brian answered the pricing questions. If you decide on a cz52, check pafoa classifieds - there was one in great shape with extra mags and 200 rounds for $230 - a good buy!

(Monroe County)

I believe you are going to Want both Guns, great guns btw, i have a CZ52 made in 52' and i am hunting for a Russian or German MAk.
    Cant wait to hit the Gun shows in the Winter.

Previously stocked up on S&B ammo for the 52' when it was dirt cheap, luckily.

The S&B ammo btw is only about 150-200 fps slower than the piping hot milsurp of years gone by but not corrosive,, i say get both, lots of fun there.

(Montgomery County)

Like Brian and Cruzans, I also have a number of the Eastern Block pistols, and since I have held a C&R for many years, a number of these I picked up for a relative "song".

Nagant revolver:
    Both regular and the Target variation: Can reload using 32-20 brass and reforming dies but be warned, a number will not take the slightly larger rim thickness of the 32-20 brass. 32 Long works very well and if you are handy with a Dremel tool, you can fit the 32 ACP cylinder to an individual Nagant as the cuts in the rotor wheel usually need modification.

P64: One pre-C&R, one post-C&R. Make certain that you change the springs on these.

CZ52: Both purchased when they first came in as a C&R. Do not dry fire these unless you have a number of spare firing pins or one of the machined steel ones.

Tokarev: I have the Chinese variant with the extra 9 mm barrel and fittings. Fun to shoot.

CZ82: Have two, Again, one pre-C&R, one post. Extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Almost no recoil due to their weight.

East German Makarov: Got one when first in as C&R for under $200 delivered. Very accurate, even though you cannot see the sights well.

Ammunition: I reload 9 x 18 (using Starline Brass) and also 7.62 x 25 in two flavors, Tokarev and Mauser (7.63 x 25). Again Starline Brass and steel dies. This way, you can tailor your loads as you wish, even though I do have "some" surplus Tokarev stashed away! Never fire Tok rounds in a Mauser C96, hence my loading of the Tok's precursor round, the 7.63 x 25 Mauser for my C96s. Dave_n